• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a benefit to theism?

Ponder This

Somewhere someone made a big post about faith and essentially said that the faith that comes from a religious belief is not equivalent to the faith that comes from a non-religious belief. Perhaps, faith provides a special benefit to the religious. In terms of theism particularly, theists have a reassurance that comes from faith that is not available to others (more particularly, if your theism involves an omnipotent, omnipresent deity). As an atheist, you likely don't have that kind of faith.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So the alternative is to not live your life, i don't see the purpose to living your life.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
No, I don't think there is a benefit to theism. The benefits listed seem negated by the rigidity and uncompromising nature of religion; and the fanaticism it always breeds which usually lead to really bad outcomes.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does theism offer any benefits that non-believers are not privy to? If you think so or don't think so, please explain.

None for me.

I've been there - for the decade that was my twenties (Christian brand). Secular humanism has been much better. Turn out that I not only didn't need a god belief to experience truth, love, spirituality, purpose, and to develop a mature internal compass divorced from irrational and clearly outdated fiats, but that Christianity actually impeded me in many of those areas.

For example, we've all seen the believer who tells us that the atheist's life has no meaning or purpose. What he is unwittingly revealing is that without his god belief, his life would have no purpose. His theism has caused him to miss the value of everyday life.

He sees his purpose as praising a god for eternity. I can hardly imagine a less meaningful existence. Hoe is theism benefiting such a person.

What is the nature of the one poster on this thread who lost his cool and began lashing out angrily at the other side? Theist. How is his religion helping him? What does he have that any unbeliever would want?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is a benefit to theism. It benefits theists.

Clergy, pandering politicians, and heads of state in particular:
  • "How can you have order in a state without religion? For, when one man is dying of hunger near another who is ill of surfeit, he cannot resign himself to this difference unless there is an authority which declares 'God wills it thus.' Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet." - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • "If you want to control a population and keep them passive ... give them a god to worship" ~ Noam Chomsky
  • "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca the Younger
Think about what an easy gig being a pastor is. Education is optional, there is no testing or certification, no permit, no oversight or liability, start-up costs are minimal, you get huge tax breaks whether you do charitable work or not, you get to avoid manual labor and working for a boss, and you get instant, unearned social status and respect as well as power and influence over many lives.

All one need do is read a sermon once a week that might have come out of a book, and delegate the choir, youth ministry, etc.. to others.

So those are definitely people benefiting from theism.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
religion will just make love and peace to become a norm.

Not so far after millennia of religion. We just saw Christian terrorists in the streets of Charlottesville, VA. Where is the peace and love there?

What I see is tribalism, harsh judgment, divisiveness, bigotry against homosexuals and atheists, attempting to defund women's health clinics, endless hypocrisy (Bakker, Haggard, Hovind, Palin, Duggar), and pedophilic priests being assisted in cover-ups by what has become an international child sex cartel.

So where is the benefit of theism here? Is all of that OK?

We saw the love of the crusades, endless European holy wars, inquisitions, and witch hunts.

Then secular humanism stepped in and created the modern, secular, democratic state with its limited, divided, transparent government and guaranteed personal freedoms, tolerant and pluralistic societies, egalitarianism, and the rule of law.

No more hanging witches! Salem, Mass became livable thereafter.

That's love, not a sandwich in exchange for listening to a sermon. You can get a microwave listening to a time share spiel, and I assure you that there is no love there, either.

Sorry, but religion has to be judged by its fruits, not its claims about itself:
  • "You were hungry and thirsty, so I eliminated funding for Meals on Wheels and food banks. You were a stranger, so I vilified you and demanded that you be deported. You were naked, so I called you an evil liberal who hates conservative family values. You were sick, so I repealed your only hope for health care. You were in prison, so I tortured you."
It's fine to make these claims about love, but you should be prepared to defend them if you do.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I also find it very useful when promoting morality as a whole since it creates values to things atheists otherwise seems to lack.

I find that theists have nothing to teach a secular humanist about morality. Can you offer an instance of a place where, for example, Christianity and secular humanism part ways in their ethical systems, and Christianity has the more moral position? We can start with slavery. Or, if you prefer, calling meekness blessed. How about disengaging from "the world," or deeming a fiery apocalypse holy. Those are all Christian position contradicted by humanist values.

This atheist will hold his values up proudly before any theist's.

DavidFirth

Sounds awful, but if that is how you want to live your life.

Well, when I consider how He so selflessly sacrificed His own son on a cross to pay my sin debt, it is an honor to serve the Almighty Holy God in any capacity. I owe Him everything.

Why Christ would die on a cross for a sorry sinner like me is beyond me. But He first loved me so it is only right that I love Him.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I find that theists have nothing to teach a secular humanist about morality. Can you offer an instance of a place where, for example, Christianity and secular humanism part ways in their ethical systems, and Christianity has the more moral position? We can start with slavery. Or, if you prefer, calling meekness blessed. How about disengaging from "the world," or deeming a fiery apocalypse holy. Those are all Christian position contradicted by humanist values.

This atheist will hold his values up proudly before any theist's.

Ok liar, I will get back to you when you accept that I am not a Christian. Also, as I said before morals have nothing to do with religion.

I find it so funny that an atheist is arguing about his superior morality when he has such a nasty habit of lying to others. Oh the irony.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Why is theism so important to you, is atheism not providing all that you're looking for.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is the other side of the coin to my other thread: Is there a benefit to atheism?

Does theism offer any benefits that non-believers are not privy to? If you think so or don't think so, please explain.
By that wording, I don't think there is any way to know.

Theism, for some (few) people, is a true vocation, and they sure seem to reap benefit from surrendering to it.

There are dangers involved, but people differ in their ability to deal with those.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Yes but I am looking for something that is exclusive to thiesm.

There is this but again this is in relation to religiosity and not theism.

PF_2016.04.12_everydayreligion-00.png

I am trying to find a study that linked religiosity with increased happiness but I cannot find it. It was fairly significant if I recall and Muslims loved using it a lot.