• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a benefit to theism?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Not agnostic or anything like that. Someone who does not believe in god. Not doubt. Literally does not believe in god with absolute certainty.

I've only met one and I am one of them. A lot of atheist have a grudge on christianity so it doesn't seem like disbelief in god but more not wanting to believe or doubt, as you said. Atheism isn't doubting god. It's no believe in his existence.

But, yeah, I know many people here that never doubt god because their experiences and worship is so real life that that's like a mother denying or doubting she had a child when she was in the delivery rum pushing and screaming. Their not stupid or lying.

The atheist certainty is not dependent on god; a theist certainty is.

The benefits of theism is that, as I said above, god (knows everything-he is the certainty) to which those who are not agnostic trust god to fill in the gaps they do not know.

This gives them security and a sense of purpose.

An atheist doesn't have that based on god. In theism, that is a disadvantage.

Has nothing to do with what the atheist believe. You asked for benefits not which is right or wrong.
Sorry I lost interest.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There is a benefit to theism. It benefits theists.

Unfortunately, it has no practical real world applications otherwise.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Does theism offer any benefits that non-believers are not privy to? If you think so or don't think so, please explain.

Security without possible reservations or complications.

An theist who has no doubts (not stupid or lying) but is certain that god exists, is no longer uncertain about his security because he knows god will hand what he does not know and cannot handle.

Atheist do not have this "advantage" of god. Our securities can have loopholes because life is uncertain (without god). To many theist, life is certain because god is the certainty. Without god, they'd be lost.

So they have an advantage of filling in what they don't know and uncertain about. Atheists (just going off disbelief in god) do not

The permission to have a sense of continuity without needing to know why

Many theist believe in god because of the afterlife however defined. The need for continuity whether heaven, life after life, or so have you gives them security and trust without needing to ask "what's in the afterlife" because they trust in their god to answer that question.

Sense of purpose promised to the theist rather than purpose uncertain to the atheist

Those theist who believe in the abrahamic and abrahamic like god are promised certainty and spiritual hope for this life. Another word for faith.

Since atheist do not believe in god, they have a disadvantage because life is uncertain.

To turn it around, if an atheist is certain above life without doubt, would he be stupid and a lier?

Im just listing the benefits not saying if they make sense or if one is right or wrong.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Not theism itself but religion more so. It formalizes morality and encourages social cohesion. It also is a perfect way of formulating human concepts through usage of archetypes and offers the tools to explore human endeavor without violence.

I also find it very useful when promoting morality as a whole since it creates values to things atheists otherwise seems to lack. Although I blame this on the politicization of atheism and not atheism itself.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Within a religion, yes. But what are we to make of religions that promote social separation from non-believers, or worse.

Dismantle them, from the foundation up. Such a religion is to insecure to survive and to fragile to be apart of a strong society, if simple non belief threatens that religion then assuredly it is a weak religion that deserves man's scorn and should be put to the ashes as paper to the fire.

I like many other people have no need for weakness and if anything promotes such an abhorrent society then it could not survive even without opposition.