• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a benefit to atheism?

Curious George

Veteran Member
All you need to do to not incur costs associated with being a theist is not being a theist.

... but your weird, non-standard capitalization suggests to me that you're trying to make a point that isn't getting across.
No, no point. Just what you are saying entails that atheism cannot be just a lack of belief.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It's not irrational to believe in the existence of an imaginary being if there is no proof that the imagined being does not exist, and if believing it does exist increases the quality and understanding of the believer's life experience.

I think it would be irrational to deny oneself the possibility of such an increase in quality and understanding of life based on nothing but a blind bias against the practice of faith when knowledge is otherwise unavailable.
Do you believe in Zeus?

I think you are reading a bit too much into atheism. It is not nearly as consequential as you seem to assume. It actually can't be very consequential.

Opens the way for more, as does anything. But it is not more than that.

So atheism can't be very consequential, yet opens the way for some things?

Are you saying it only opens the way for things of little consequence? Otherwise aren't these contradictory beliefs?

Erebus

I view atheism as a neutral stance with neither intrinsic benefits nor drawbacks. Now the things a person believes or practices alongside being an atheist can certainly have pros and cons, but atheism itself is a "blank" for want of a better word.

That can certainly be preferable to theism. Theism does have positives and negatives depending on the particular type of god belief. So if somebody comes from a background where the local theism has a lot of negatives attached to it (the various extremely fundamentalist parts of the world for example) then atheism can certainly be seen as a step up simply by virtue of discarding those negatives.

It's also worth mentioning that I view positives and negatives as a very personal matter. With this in mind, I'm not going to argue anything along the lines of, "theism can be positive, therefore all atheists should become theists." I think that for some people, any kind of theism just isn't a good fit for them and so atheism is preferable by default.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not irrational to believe in the existence of an imaginary being if there is no proof that the imagined being does not exist, and if believing it does exist increases the quality and understanding of the believer's life experience.
Yes, actually, it *is* irrational to believe in an imaginary being. Period. Believing in something that doesn't exist when there is no evidence of its existence is almost the *definition* of irrationality.

I think it would be irrational to deny oneself the possibility of such an increase in quality and understanding of life based on nothing but a blind bias against the practice of faith when knowledge is otherwise unavailable.

First of all, and this gets to the point of the thread, belief in an imaginary being, even if it gives you warm fuzzies and has a placebo effect, is damaging to the intellect and the understanding. Like drugs, you get a false feeling of well-being but you are replacing a fantasy with reality. And *that* is a harm.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Sounds like it's more that you're trying to shoehorn this view into what other people are saying, even if they're not.
If there are benefits to atheism that means something follows atheism. It is just logic. If something follows athiesm atheism can no longer be just a belief that god does not exist or a lack of belief in god. I am not the one here trying to say something follows atheism, that was others making that claim.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If there are benefits to atheism that means something follows atheism. It is just logic. If something follows athiesm atheism can no longer be just a belief that god does not exist or a lack of belief in god. I am not the one here trying to say something follows atheism, that was others making that claim.

If one has a lack in belief in a deity, you also lack the consequences of having a belief in a deity.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Well, for one, reduced amount of time devoted to figuring out what a deity wants. That is actually a HUGE benefit!
Then that is one thing you are claiming atheism entails "beyond just not believing in god" (if that is the definition you use) or beyond just believing god does not exist (if that is the definition you use).