• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Theory of Evolution absurdic?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
A fly, a tree, a rose, a jellyfish, a dolphin, a flea, an elephant, a dinosaur are blood relatives to each other?
It sounds absurd. How could a rose be a relative to a flea?

Plants and animals shared a common ancestor a couple of billion years ago, so they've had a lot of time to differentiate, but consider how similar our cell structures are:

Animal-cell-vs-Plant-cell-similarities-difference.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why would we imagine there's no relationship between plants and animals? Crows (they're birds, for those unfamiliar with biology), can count to 6, while venus flytraps (they're plants) can count to 5.

Look 'em up -- you'll see.

Clara Tea

A fly, a tree, a rose, a jellyfish, a dolphin, a flea, an elephant, a dinosaur are blood relatives to each other?
It sounds absurd. How could a rose be a relative to a flea?

The tree of life shows step by step how everything is related. DNA proves evolution.

Clara Tea

Why would we imagine there's no relationship between plants and animals? Crows (they're birds, for those unfamiliar with biology), can count to 6, while venus flytraps (they're plants) can count to 5.

Look 'em up -- you'll see.

How the Venus Flytrap Counts

Link above: Venus flytrap. When we count, we think. When a venus flytrap "counts" it is timing a reaction (likely a calcium reaction).

That would be like asserting that an hour glass (which slowly drops sand through a narrow opening) is thinking and counting.

I assert that there is a difference between counting and the speed of a chemical reaction.

Crows are exceptionally smart. Ravens (perhaps with an operation on their tongues) can be taught to talk. Though it is likely like repeating sounds, much like a parrot.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
How the Venus Flytrap Counts

Link above: Venus flytrap. When we count, we think. When a venus flytrap "counts" it is timing a reaction (likely a calcium reaction).

That would be like asserting that an hour glass (which slowly drops sand through a narrow opening) is thinking and counting.

I assert that there is a difference between counting and the speed of a chemical reaction.

Crows are exceptionally smart. Ravens (perhaps with an operation on their tongues) can be taught to talk. Though it is likely like repeating sounds, much like a parrot.
And you are missing the point -- nature contrives any number of different means to achieve the same ends. Plants face the sun by elongating cells on the side of the stem on the darker side, but what is there to say that this is qualitatively different than me facing the sun by moving my muscles so that my face is warmed by the radiance I crave in winter?

These (plants, crows, me) are all systems, evolved to do what is necessary for our own survival and the passing on of our genes. The "how" isn't nearly as important.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Common design equals common creator if you have common sense.
Oh please. "Common sense" is just male bovine end product when the term is abused in the sense that you just did.

The scientific method works because it rejects your version of "common sense". For a rational person one needs reliable evidence for something. In the world of science the concept of evidence is well defined. We do not have evidence of a common designer. We do not have evidence of magic pixies. Why not believe in magic pixies if you are going to believe in a magic common designer?