• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is thee a glutton?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Despite having many addictions, it's difficult for me to eat and rarely do I have an appetite. If you had an addiction to overeating, what were the reasons for it? Did you feel like food was your most loyal companion?

A junkie like myself cannot judge somebody for being a glutton. My addictions are just as bad and most likely worse in God's eyes

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke_Leto

By the way, if you want to be 'correct' about archaic/Middle English, it's "Art thou a glutton?" if you're asking a single person, or "Are ye a glutton?" if you're addressing a group of people, like in this post. "Is" is incorrect in Middle English for the same reason it's incorrect in modern English, and "thee" is the singular objective case (and you want the nominative).

Personally, I feel often like I eat an enormous amount of food, but I'm still pretty skinny. And as for gluttony, I feel that being addicted to food and not trying to recover (or not trying much) is worse than being addicted to drugs while attempting recovery. Many fat people, from my experience, stay fat and blame their condition on everything from genetics to not having enough free time, and there's plenty of support out there encouraging fat people to be 'proud' of their bodies and whatnot, and not worry about what they're eating. Addicts to alcohol and cigarettes act similarly, making every excuse one can think of, though there's less social support for them. Addicts to 'hard' drugs, though, I think are typically much more concerned and tend to make more of an effort to quit their vices, because of the more severe consequences (and perhaps the ones who don't just die).

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
I suffer from an addiction to water, an addiction to oxygen, and an addiction to food, as well as an addiction to thinking that that's a pretty stupid way of thinking about it.

In the normal sense, an addiction is a developed reliance on or compulsion for something that you don't need for survival.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I suffer from an addiction to water, an addiction to oxygen, and an addiction to food, as well as an addiction to thinking that that's a pretty stupid way of thinking about it.

In the normal sense, an addiction is a developed reliance on or compulsion for something that you don't need for survival.

Do you suffer from an addiction to being deliberately obtuse?

In reading your response, it is clear you understand what the OP intended to ask.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
By the way, if you want to be 'correct' about archaic/Middle English, it's "Art thou a glutton?" if you're asking a single person, or "Are ye a glutton?" if you're addressing a group of people, like in this post. "Is" is incorrect in Middle English for the same reason it's incorrect in modern English, and "thee" is the singular objective case (and you want the nominative).

Personally, I feel often like I eat an enormous amount of food, but I'm still pretty skinny. And as for gluttony, I feel that being addicted to food and not trying to recover (or not trying much) is worse than being addicted to drugs while attempting recovery. Many fat people, from my experience, stay fat and blame their condition on everything from genetics to not having enough free time, and there's plenty of support out there encouraging fat people to be 'proud' of their bodies and whatnot, and not worry about what they're eating. Addicts to alcohol and cigarettes act similarly, making every excuse one can think of, though there's less social support for them. Addicts to 'hard' drugs, though, I think are typically much more concerned and tend to make more of an effort to quit their vices, because of the more severe consequences (and perhaps the ones who don't just die).
The title of this thread comes from a movie where a child says " is thee a traveler"?

I knew that art thou was the correct way to say it. " Is thee" sounded good to me.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

"Eating addiction" or "food addiction " is often what the disorder is called
Food Addiction — A Serious Problem With a Simple Solution

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been known to succomb to my Dionysian tendencies. I love food, and for the first 30 years of my life, I had a high metabolism and hovered at a healthy body weight eating whatever I wanted. Unfortunately as I aged, I found that my waning metabolism was indirectly proportional to my waxing body mass, so I was forced to adjust my diet.

My Dionysian tendencies do occasionally get the better of me from time to time, however. I'm overweight, but nowhere near obese.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Despite having many addictions, it's difficult for me to eat and rarely do I have an appetite. If you had an addiction to overeating, what were the reasons for it? Did you feel like food was your most loyal companion?

A junkie like myself cannot judge somebody for being a glutton. My addictions are just as bad and most likely worse in God's eyes

View attachment 25424

Well she looks happy and how many world records do you hold?

Axe Elf

Prophet
People don't need to overeat for survival

But they do need food on a regular basis. So it's just as silly to talk about a "food addiction" as it is to talk about an "oxygen addiction."

Now, I fully understand that just because something is ridiculous doesn't stop people from doing it anyway, so there are lots of references in pop culture to food addictions as well as all manners of other psychobabble nonsense like "inner childs" and "reptilian brains" and "hardwired" and other such drivel--but it doesn't mean I'm going to legitimize them by talking about them as if they are a real thing.

When something stimulates the pleasure centers of your brain, what's wrong with merely saying that you like it, rather than making it pathological to like something by calling it an "addiction"?

By the same token, people are said to be "addicted" to marijuana--because they like it--not because there is any evidence that a physical dependence that was not initially related to survival develops from its use.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When something stimulates the pleasure centers of your brain, what's wrong with merely saying that you like it, rather than making it pathological to like something by calling it an "addiction"?

Alcohol stimulates the pleasure centers of my brain. It damages my liver. It leads to unneeded weight gain. It causes edema.

I like alcohol. It damages my body. Are you getting the connection?

Axe Elf

Prophet
Alcohol stimulates the pleasure centers of my brain. It damages my liver. It leads to unneeded weight gain. It causes edema.

I like alcohol. It damages my body. Are you getting the connection?

The regular use of alcohol also causes the body to develop a physical dependence upon it that was not initially necessary for survival.

Are you getting the difference?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The regular use of alcohol also causes the body to develop a physical dependence upon it that was not initially necessary for survival.

Are you getting the difference?

Can you please 'splain it to me again? Not sure we got's it, there, sir!

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I used to be 160 lbs ago. Can still be. Struggling to not be every day.

Although I bought oreos the other day, first time this year, and I couldn't finish the package and they messed me up digestively(i know that's not a word) and...emotionally you could say, i felt like a turd after eating them.

Back in the not so distant past when I was a fat slob I could easily down 4 of those packages.

One package to me is one of those single roll packages not the american size package of four slots.

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Fat shaming needs to be revived. How you think I lost all that weight? My real friends fat shamed me because they actually care about my health.

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
I very much enjoy eating, if thats what you mean. Thankfully my metabolism keeps me skinny. For now...