• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the World out of Control or Not?

Aiviu

THE year 2017 began with a dismal proclamation by the scientific community. In January a group of scientists declared that the world just got closer to the worst catastrophe ever. Using the symbolic Doomsday Clock to illustrate mankind’s proximity to a global disaster, scientists moved the clock’s minute hand forward by 30 seconds. The Doomsday Clock is now set at merely two and a half minutes to midnight—nearer to a global catastrophe than at any time in over 60 years!

In 2018, scientists plan to evaluate again how close we are to the end of the world as we know it. Will the Doomsday Clock still signal an impending and unprecedented catastrophe? What do you think? Is the world out of control? You might find the question somewhat difficult to answer. After all, even experts are divided on this subject. Not everyone believes in an inevitable doomsday.

What do you believe?

nature simply tries to balance our pollution. When nature completely has to renew itself we are the collateral damage at the most. I could guess that a renew of the earth by itself would take up a certain millions years. Its only our given life that is out of control.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who are causing the main threats to the human race are the human race. Those who are causing the continuing extinction of many species of wildlife are also humans. We do indeed have the wherewithal's to make a difference.....so why haven't we do you think? Why do we keep blundering along as if the whole world system doesn't needs fixing? Who does the buck stop with?

It stops with all of us. But remember that the mass extinction of the large animals in America 10,000 years ago was due, partly to human hunting. This is not a new phenomenon. The scale is larger than before, but there have been human civilizations that failed because they tend to their environment properly.

I think a big part of why we haven't done anything is that humans don't usually think in the long(er) term of centuries. People are concerned with day-to-day survival. Because of that, they are more concerned with mining jobs than they are with global warming. They are more concerned with lumber jobs than with preserving the forests. And they are more concerned with fishing jobs than they are with the fish.

Thank you....this really made me laugh. How many 'apocalyptic' thinkers are responsible for the mess the world is in? The last time I looked, science was the largest contributor to the choking pollution, and the weapons of mass destruction, and almost all of the things that threaten our health and well being on this planet.

Science has given us the power to do both great good and great ill. We don't seem to have the wisdom to do great good. part of that is because of the viewpoint of those whose morality comes from a primarily agricultural society instead of a primarily technological one. We have to adjust to the conditions now rather than the conditions 2000 years ago.

Genetically modified foods are poisoning us as well as those sciences that develop industries that pollute the air, the water and the soil. Nuclear power stations are another source of man's shortsightedness. When man creates monsters he can't control, you have to wonder about how intelligent he really is, don't you?

We have so much to thank the sciences for......but I can't think of any that outweigh the damage they have done.

I think the problem isn't with science: it is with politics. To restrain ourselves and do the hard work of doing good takes time, energy, and dedication. Superstitious beliefs just contribute to the problem by focusing people on falsehoods and trivialities. Politicians want to stay in their jobs and tell people what they want to hear rather than what needs to be said. And people respond by voting in the person who coddles them rather than tells them to get up and do what is right.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
nature simply tries to balance our pollution. When nature completely has to renew itself we are the collateral damage at the most. I could guess that a renew of the earth by itself would take up a certain millions years. Its only our given life that is out of control.

If the human race ever destroys itself, the Earth will return to 'normal' fairly quickly. NOTHING we can do will match the extinction event at the end of the Permian. NOTHING we can do can match the meteor and lava flows that killed off the dinosaurs. And the Earth recovered from both quite nicely.

What we can do is make it so *we* can no longer survive. It is our choice.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
THE year 2017 began with a dismal proclamation by the scientific community. In January a group of scientists declared that the world just got closer to the worst catastrophe ever. Using the symbolic Doomsday Clock to illustrate mankind’s proximity to a global disaster, scientists moved the clock’s minute hand forward by 30 seconds. The Doomsday Clock is now set at merely two and a half minutes to midnight—nearer to a global catastrophe than at any time in over 60 years!

In 2018, scientists plan to evaluate again how close we are to the end of the world as we know it. Will the Doomsday Clock still signal an impending and unprecedented catastrophe? What do you think? Is the world out of control? You might find the question somewhat difficult to answer. After all, even experts are divided on this subject. Not everyone believes in an inevitable doomsday.

What do you believe?

The world is in Jesus's control. The world is heading toward Armageddon, but Jesus will be the victor!

Sanzbir

The world was never yours or anyone else's to control. The process of change has never bowed down to any man, nor concerned itself with the lamentations of those who wish the world to be static and unchanging.

It was never in control, it will never be. The cycle of change is liberated from such notions of control.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of the "doomsday clock." I think it serves an important purpose, as it communicates information to the general public, but in the process it simplifies complex matters and conflates value judgements with scientific research. "End times" narratives are popular in my culture because a certain prevailing religion enjoys telling those types of stories. There's also something of a psychological comfort some people find in accepting there is an "end" to what they deem "bad times." With an end, there is release. But there are far better analyses than my own regarding the appeal of apocalyptic narratives, so I won't attempt to outdo them here. It suffices to say I am not a fan of such stories, and I think they very much misrepresent the way reality actually works.

It's always changing.

I'm not a fan of the clock in part because it doesn't reflect this reality. The clock has already struck midnight dozens of times over. It will continue to strike midnight indefinitely into the future, as well as all other hours of the day. What hours do you focus on? Are you the pessimist who is always looking for the next worst thing and fixating on midnight? Are you the optimist who focuses on the noon hour? Someone who focuses on the liminal times of dawn and dusk? That's up to you.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

What do you believe?
Who or what is supposed to be in control of it.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well yes, that we have a sickness in our societies called unregulated greed that rapes and pillages the world, its resources, and its people, is a problem. One hopes we will find it in ourselves to change our ways before we kill ourselves, like an obese person eating themselves to death. But this image of God coming to destroy us is fear mongering.

What I said to the Jehovah's Witnesses who were at my door a couple Saturday's ago was that I see God as always inviting, never imposing. The notion that he will "intervene", ride in on a white horse and slay people to establish his over government on earth does not fit in with the knowledge of God as Love.

I agree we have been invited again to partake in unity of the entire human race with no predudice and knowledge of One God. Baha'u'llah gave all the requirements to build a strong an lasting Unity where men look after each other, the earth and its creatures.

Mankind as a majority has rejected that call and thus is still doing what man does instead of what Gid wants for us.

I have a good JW friend and we chat often, they are a good example of dedication to a Faith in God, the key here is and what we have to consider is, where in this day is God calling us from? History has shown that God uses a man as a Messenger and in each age that Messenger has come, in the early part if the Revelation, the peoples tendancy is to reject. In this day it is a Global Message.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The world is in Jesus's control. The world is heading toward Armageddon, but Jesus will be the victor!

The World is out of control, as it is yet to grasp the knowledge of what they wait for has happened.

Christ is the First and will be the Last, has fulfilled His promise of His return commencing in 1844, Elijah always comes first then the Glory of god was revealled to the world in 1863. Christ will not come again now for at least another 1000 years.

The New Name of Christ is Baha'u'llah. (Glory of God). Christ's new name is the Glory of God and the Son has come as the Father.

You can be happy to know this.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Daniel 2:44 has to happen first.

Take care.

You take care as well. This will raise the eyebrows......but...

This has happened. All has been fulfilled, the Law goes out from Zion, the Arc of Gods Covenant is set upon Gods Holy Mountain and all Nations flow up the mountain of the Lord, the New Jerusalem.

Mount Carmel has seen the Glory of the Lord as foretold.

The world is as it is because we are yet to implement Gods advice and laws for this age, we are in the time when many are called. You have been now called.

Regards Tony

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the key here is and what we have to consider is, where in this day is God calling us from?
Answer: From everywhere. From inside our hearts, souls, and conscience. From the sunlight warming and lighting the earth. From the smile of another. From the joy of a child. From the soul of an artist, in song, in dance, in movement, in art, in literature, and so forth. When we learn to love ourselves deeply, with that Love that creates everything, when we see another we see God. God calls us from every atom and every molecule, from every thought and dream, in every now moment. God is nowhere but fully present. It's just a matter of dialing in and pulling back to veil to see the perfectly obvious.

History has shown that God uses a man as a Messenger and in each age that Messenger has come
History has shown us that inspired souls in every time and every land, when they speak God through themselves, others with the ear to hear that song will hear God, and with hope and the will to partake, they themselves become an oracle of the divine. Jesus taught to let our lights shine. One can speak the divine Truth with nothing but a smile and nod. This is not something limited to a select few, but all.

in the early part if the Revelation, the peoples tendancy is to reject.
It is the ego that fears us letting go of it, so it creates all manner of rationalizations and justifications to hold us back out of an act of perceived self-preservation. This is true of any of us as a spiritual aspirant, at all the stages of our growth. Those with the Will to partake of God will recognize it and let it go. Those who are not ready to "go and sell all you own", will listen to the ego and stop.

In this day it is a Global Message.

Regards Tony
The Christian message was originally supposed to be a global message as well. But then someone made it into a religion.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Those with the Will to partake of God will recognize it and let it go. Those who are not ready to "go and sell all you own", will listen to the ego and stop.

Yes Ego.

What you have said about Ego has great wisdom enshrined within and in every age that God sends His Messenger and the letting go of ego is a key to recognising them.

The other thought is that many that think they are free of ego, become the greatest delivers of ego. The example is those that rejected Christ thought themselves detached by observance of their scriptures, whereas they were bound by ego of that knowledge and rejected the wisdom of Christ.

Having a Religion in Christ is great for unity as long as ego does not make you a rejector of Truth when it comes from other directions.

Regards Tony

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
One would hope we would have learnt from what we have subjected ourselves to already!
Still we have put the climate so out of balance, that we have a lot to face before we restore our earth to a better balance.
Regards Tony

Interesting to me that you say ' we ' (mankind) put the climate so out of balance.
Even ' Earth Day Worshippers ' have Not made BIG progress. They have taken on a challenge too BIG to handle.
It is No wonder Ecclesiastes 8:9 says that man dominates man to man's hurt or injury.
Jeremiah words prove true that man can Not direct his own step at Jeremiah 10:23.
That is why I find we need someone who can step in. God will have Jesus step in so that there will be people delivered/saved/rescued through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 to restore our Earth to even more than a better balance but the best balance.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......... The thousand year stuff is mythology, science suggests it won't be a very fun life one thousand more years after a calamity. Many apocalyptic writings have the same self fulfillment prophecies, really who in the NT said anything original?

I don't think I was clear because I don't know what you have in mind about a calamity.
What the Bible really teaches is that the 'executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of the wicked' as found at Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16. I find Jesus words at John 13:34-35 to be original because Jesus gave us a NEW commandment to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he did.
That self-sacrificing love is superior or original because that means to now love neighbor ' more ' than self.
What do you find to be a calamity about the words found at Revelation 22:2.
To me it is No calamity that mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on Earth providing food and healing for earth's nations. To me that is in fulfillment to God's promise to father Abraham at Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18 that ALL families of Earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed.
Not blessed with calamity but with the benefit of healing for earth's nations.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting to me that you say ' we ' (mankind) put the climate so out of balance.
Even ' Earth Day Worshippers ' have Not made BIG progress. They have taken on a challenge too BIG to handle.
It is No wonder Ecclesiastes 8:9 says that man dominates man to man's hurt or injury.
Jeremiah words prove true that man can Not direct his own step at Jeremiah 10:23.
That is why I find we need someone who can step in. God will have Jesus step in so that there will be people delivered/saved/rescued through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 to restore our Earth to even more than a better balance but the best balance.

It happened and is happening, you no longer have to wait.

Regards Tony

Grandliseur

What do you believe?
I think it is very much in control, just not by us.
To me it is controlled chaos. For example, if you put water in a bottle, the water within may slosh about as much as it wants as long as the water stays in the bottle, the individual who carries it about doesn't care..

In this fashion, I see the big picture being in total control, the nations on their march to WWIII at a specified point in time, not of our choosing. Nonetheless, the various geopolitical situations are clearly being pointed in one direction with China getting ever more prepared for war, with their island fortresses, etc. with NK getting so much better at their missile and atomic weapons technology, with Russia in the east and in the west, with NATO and the US all - getting as ready as they can.

At the social level, we have things never imagined before, robber cops, killer cops - with impunity, people who just go up to strangers and make horrific attacks, the many numbers of people who kill their own children for various reasons, drugs being one of them. We are clearly approaching anarchy. The set up for anarchy is also evident with the incredible mixing of Muslim into non-Muslim societies, with the total collapse of all things moral, homosexual marriages, etc. You cannot marry more than one wife, or husband, but you can fyck the world ;) with impunity - if you want and can get to it, to them. Just doesn't make any sense. The rich and powerful are now shown - whether they are Catholic priests, powerful politicians, movie-industry CEO's, or the like, to be composed of a high percentage of rapists.

Thus we have our bottle of water, the world, and the water, society. One is controlled, the other chaotic.

Last edited: