• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the universe infinite or finite?

Is the universe infinite or finite?

• Infinite

• Finite

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I'm very interested in it but you've given me no reason at all to think that religion can tell us anything about it.

That's not a reason to take it seriously, that's a so far totally unsupported claim about what it can supposedly do.

Meaningless. How are they founded on reality? What part of reality can tell me that any of them are true. Why do they disagree with each other if they're founded on reality?

What does this actually mean?
You want to be provided with reasons, you want explanations about religious practice, in short it appears that it is not what you can do for the universe, but what the universe can do for you,

The universe is God, and you study only 5%

You want to know more, you work for it, it is not about belief, it is about understanding what and who you are in the universe.

Knock knock!.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You want to be provided with reasons, you want explanations about religious practice, in short it appears that it is not what you can do for the universe, but what the universe can do for you,

You want to know more, you work for it, it is not about belief, it is about understanding what and who you are in the universe.

Knock knock!.

Stop claiming you have power over other people for what is subjective.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Oh, aren't you special? Well, I accept I am normal and use beliefs. As for power, it is not that simple.
No, it is not that simple. Why do some like power? Because there are multitudes of sheep ready to believe if the religious or scientific idea is marketed properly.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, it is not that simple. Why do some like power? Because there are multitudes of sheep ready to believe if the religious or scientific idea is marketed properly.
Oh, I am a sheep. Okay! Now consider if you are in violations of the rules here in RF.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Oh, I am a sheep. Okay! Now consider if you are in violations of the rules here in RF.
Wow, you really have some complex, I have not implied anything about you in our exchange, an exchange you began btw, and all I've done to respond to your points, it was never about you. Violations of the rules my a.... :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The power you hold about judging other people to be sheep.
Trust me, I was not judging you, I made a statement which I understand to be a fair comment between the use of power and the sheep-like nature of the masses to believe. You may have judged yourself as a sheep, but I certainly didn't.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But to an atheist, all things religious appear unfounded because of the closed mind. They are not unfounded to a properly religious soul, and such a soul can still make an excellent scientist. In fact I would say they would make a better one because they don't have the closed mind of some atheists.

1. Atheists can be religious.
2. Theists can be irreligious.
3. If you believe you can judge someone as more or less suited to science by the mere fact of their theism/atheism, I'd suggest you're mistaken.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

You're still not giving me any reason to accept your beliefs, just making rather banal claims. In what sense is the universe 'God' and why would you claim that I only study it 5%? If you're talking about science, it studies dark matter and dark energy too, so the claim is false. You can't, as just one person, even study all of the 5%.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
1. Atheists can be religious.
2. Theists can be irreligious.
3. If you believe you can judge someone as more or less suited to science by the mere fact of their theism/atheism, I'd suggest you're mistaken.
I understand the universe to be infinite, nothing does not exist, let's get back to the OP.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You're still not giving me any reason to accept your beliefs, just making rather banal claims. In what sense is the universe 'God' and why would you claim that I only study it 5%? If you're talking about science, it studies dark matter and dark energy too, so the claim is false. You can't, as just one person, even study all of the 5%.
Religion proper is not about belief, the word religion implies rebond, similar to the word yoga, union, reunion, or the word Islam. submit. Religion is about becoming one with the oneness of the universe aka God. The concept God is meant to represent all that is, like the concept of Brahman. Nothing exists except for God. You can spend a lifetime studying some aspect of God, such as physical science, that's your choice. Unfortunately this forum is Science and Religion, so it crates some differences of opinion.

ratiocinator

Religion proper is not about belief, the word religion implies rebond, similar to the word yoga, union, reunion, or the word Islam. submit. Religion is about becoming one with the oneness of the universe aka God. The concept God is meant to represent all that is, like the concept of Brahman. Nothing exists except for God. You can spend a lifetime studying some aspect of God, such as physical science, that's your choice.

I still see no reason at all to take these bold assertions seriously.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
95%....Is what we don't see...nearly invisible...with any lenses...no matter how large the lenses,

or the galaxies !

I see a light beyond the light,
lighting Brahman pathes towards Heaven,
and another light beyond Nirvana,
casting shadows on the Sun.
In those shadows will be your dreams,
of your spirit's ultimate destiny.

ratiocinator

Because nothing does not exist, the universe fills infinity.

Why do you think there is an infinity (of what!?) to fill?
Oh no, not the universe without edges, please God give me a break.

It's perfectly self-consistent and consistent with what we know of space-time. You claim to know more than science, yet you don't seem to have got past nineteenth century physics....