• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the universe infinite or finite?

Is the universe infinite or finite?

• Infinite

• Finite

Results are only viewable after voting.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
A brain merging with another `brain` and then another and on....and on..infinity...

soooo simple, isn't it...

We're all in the Cosmos, moving through a bowl of photons, most of them in-active,

Now......make some coffee.

gnostic

The Lost One
To my understanding, the energy associated with a space ship at C speed would be its mass times the speed of light squared. E=MC^2.

Ah, no.

The mass-energy equivalence equation was formulated way back in 1905, when Special Relativity was first proposed, decades before any rockets were launched into space.

Decades before they thought of space travel. The equation was never (originally) intended to be used for “space ship”, but it does have applications in that area.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
But people have the God given right to their own perceptions of reality...

I see no reason to think there are any "god given" rights. People are free believe what they like about reality, based on their subjective 'perception' but, if they can't justify their beliefs, then others don't have to take them seriously.
...science deals with reality with a dualistic pov...

It does?
...others may deal with reality directly, science and religion are different ways of to apprehend reality.

I've yet to see any reason to think that religion deals with reality at all.

ratiocinator

Thus, how do you observe it?

Again: How do we know the universe is flat?

The evidence we have is that the universe (at least the observable universe) is close to being flat. This isn't something that's difficult to check or to find out about the evidence. There's a wonderful thing called "the internet" that allows people to find out all sorts of things, if they're interested and look at reputable sites, perhaps you've heard of it?

Have you actually got a point to make here?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Again: How do we know the universe is flat?

The evidence we have is that the universe (at least the observable universe) is close to being flat. This isn't something that's difficult to check or to find out about the evidence. There's a wonderful thing called "the internet" that allows people to find out all sorts of things, if they're interested and look at reputable sites, perhaps you've heard of it?

Have you actually got a point to make here?

No. No point to make. I dont think that all questions are always with an agenda behind it. Maybe you are used to it but not all.

You never answered the questions I asked directly.

1. Are you sure the universe is flat?
2. Since you said "it appears so", how do you observe it?

I think you will never answer them because already too many posts have gone by with you avoiding direct answers. No worries.

Can you tell me how the spacial flatness of the universe would be affected if omega was a little less than 1? Just a tad. What do you think?

ratiocinator

You never answered the questions I asked directly.

1. Are you sure the universe is flat?
2. Since you said "it appears so", how do you observe it?

There really is no point in engaging with you if you can't even keep track of / tell the truth about (whichever applies) what I've said. I answered a direct 'no' to the first question (#363) and gave a link for the second.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I see no reason to think there are any "god given" rights. People are free believe what they like about reality, based on their subjective 'perception' but, if they can't justify their beliefs, then others don't have to take them seriously.
Beliefs are like prisons, the believer can not think outside the circle, it applies to both religion and science. Understanding otoh is liberating, if you understand, then whether its religious or scientific, your mind can move on. However for the mind to be fully liberated, it must not just have understanding, it must also understand not understanding, for without that, one may mistake conditioned belief for understanding. Conditioned belief comes from learning by rote, like school learning, memorizing, whether it be science or religion.
Yes, dualism can never result in true understanding because the objective universe is the tip of an iceberg. like being only 5% of the universe. That is why you can not understand what is being said to you about the universal now, the universal now is the 100%. In correct religious practice, the other inner 95% begins to be realized in a subjective manner. Just so you understand, realization happens at the expense of the personal self, a fully realized soul would be pretty much selfless, think JC or Siddartha.
I've yet to see any reason to think that religion deals with reality at all.
So science deals with the objective 5% of reality, and religion is meant to complement the 5% with another 95% to make 100% of reality.

So I wonder what rational experiences has to say about the error of the scientific atheism? :).

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
@firedragon

If you want to explore the flatness of the universe, then you should a couple of links (threads) of @Meow Mix -

Understanding Cosmology (Post 2)

Understanding Cosmology (Post 3)

Both threads explore the possible geometry of the universe, with Post 2 thread centered around the Friedmann’s equation, while Post 3 thread, she starts on Dark Matter.
gnostic, just a point, does the Hubble radius cause a limitation to determining the extent of the universe and hence its size and shape?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say the universe is beyond comprehension. We throw numbers around as if they convey meaning...so sure, the cosmos has a 47-billion light-year observable radius, but it is likely several orders of magnitude larger...Like we really comprehend the distance that a light-year represents, and the difference of 10 orders of magnitude...yeah, we comprehend that...:rolleyes:

I regularly get dumb stares when I suggest to my kids the internet isn't infinite, let alone the universe...