• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the United States a Meritocracy?

Should hiring be based on Sex, race and ethnicity

• Yeah

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Nah

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Beats me

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well..
I guess this is just a TV show...but Paris had really worked hard to get to Harvard...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You can work hard, even taking on extra shifts or a second job, and still find yourself spinning your wheels or even sliding into debt (don't get hurt or sick!). It's a lot more about starting out with connections and affluence rather than honest effort from the ground up.
OTH, working hard can earn one great wealth.
When given a choice of working hard vs slacking off,
the former usually yields greater benefits. That's
how meritocracies work....no guarantees that life
will be fair...just a likely path to embiggenment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
LoL...she went to Yale, if I recall correctly.
But yeah...it is just a TV show, after all...:p
I've heard the complaint before....someone worked hard,
& didn't get the desired result. I observe often that their
idea of "hard", their judgment of the work's quality, & the
reasonableness of their expectations are dubious.
Often the competition, is smarter, luckier, or somehow
otherwise advantaged. That's life. It still pays to strive
to be the person offering the most merit.

Friend of Mara

There was a ballot in the 2020 California election called Proposition 16, that would have legalized the selection of employees based on race rather than merit. Of course this initiative was rejected by the California electorate, but I would like to discuss with fellow RF members their views on this. Would you support ending the prohibition of government institutions considering race, sex and ethnicity in the areas of public employment, public contracting, and public education..? Would some actually like to see public employers choosing staff based on race, sex, and ethnicity..? Is the United States a meritocracy..? Just curious.
Its not a meritocracy. Opportunity is equivalent to ability. While we have racial disparity of opportunity its mostly class based shackles. A poor white person for example is going to be worse off than a well off black person. Jeff Bezos for example isn't a god among men despite being the richest man to have ever lived. It was a mixture of luck, opportunity and abuse of the systems in place.