• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Trinity Doctrine in the bible?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Many Christian denominations teach that God is a Trinity. However, note what the Encyclopædia Britannica states: “Neither the word Trinity nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies.”

In fact, the God of the Bible is never described as being part of a Trinity. Note these Bible passages:

“Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.”—Deuteronomy 6:4.
“You, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.”—Psalm 83:18.
“This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.”—John 17:3.
“God is only one.”—Galatians 3:20.

Why do most Christian denominations say that God is a Trinity?

Learn about the origin of the trinity doctrine

Souce

whirlingmerc

Yes it is... for example 25 times God said there were false shepherds and He himself will alone shepherd his people
and then said I will place my servant David shepherd over my people Israel

whirlingmerc

Of course the Trinity is the only view that allows power majesty love and community all from one end of eternity to the other
without it? Power and majesty come first and love is secondary as there is nothing to love until God creates something...

As you know "God is love'

Yes it is... for example 25 times God said there were false shepherds and He himself will alone shepherd his people
and then said I will place my servant David shepherd over my people Israel
So why do you believe in the trinity? Can you please use scriptures to that support your belief?

Psalms 100:3 says "Know that Jehovah is God. He is the ONE who made us, and we belong to him. We are his people and the sheep of his pasture."

whirlingmerc

So why do you believe in the trinity? Can you please use scriptures to that support your belief?

Psalms 100:3 says "Know that Jehovah is God. He is the ONE who made us, and we belong to him. We are his people and the sheep of his pasture."

Thank you for bringing up the Psalms
As you know the wedding Psalm, Psalm 45 has a Jewish King marrying a gentile bride and is
quoted in the New Testament book of Hebrews where it says
"They throne Oh God is forever and ever and the righteous septer is the spepter of your kingdom"

But lets look at another Psalm quoted in the same chapter by Hebrews
Psalm 102, the prayer of one who is crushed when one pours out his heart to God and
Hebrews takes it as an argument that Jesus is better then the angels even though the Psalm is a prayer to God... and
it is... God the Son

And on the subject of God as the Good shepherd, thank you for bringing that up.
Ezekiel 34:23, 24
I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd.
“‘My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees.

God says God alone will be the shepherd but he puts David aka Jesus as shepherd over them
Ez 34 31 You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture,and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord.’”

whirlingmerc

Why might I believe a Trinity? as you know the father, son and spirit occurs in every possible order in the New Testament
and hence the Name (singular not plural) of the Father, Son and Holy Sprit suggests a Trinity as would the usage of the term one as in the two shall become one (echod) flesh and "Hear oh Israel the Lord our God is one (echod) " which allows a componisit unity of some type as opposed to yachid "take your son your only (yachid) son" as God said to Abraham

Of course the issue is raised by God when he suggests the 30 pieces of silver was an insulting amount to value God at in Zechariah

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
Why might I believe a Trinity? as you know the father, son and spirit occurs in every possible order in the New Testament
and hence the Name (singular not plural) of the Father, Son and Holy Sprit suggests a Trinity as would the usage of the term one as in the two shall become one (echod) flesh and "Hear oh Israel the Lord our God is one (echod) "

Of course the issue is raised by God when he suggests the 30 pieces of silver was an insulting amount to value God at in Zechariah

Let me ask you, Can God create a rock so heavy he cannot lift?

:)

David1967

Premium Member
I grew up in a Trinitarian church and listening to people of our particular faith trying to explain the trinity is admittedly quite confusing.

rocala

Let me ask you, Can God create a rock so heavy he cannot lift?
Actually this is answerable with a yes. Assuming that reality is a reflection of God's mind, should he choose to make a stone so heavy, then it is so. Upon changing his mind, reality changes - there is no such stone. What remains is liftable.

outlawState

Deism is dead
I grew up in a Trinitarian church and listening to people of our particular faith trying to explain the trinity is admittedly quite confusing.
The Trinity as classically expressed by Trinitarian, i.e. Nicene, churches contains a heretical philosophical and humanistic slant on divinity, which may be said to over-emphasize the humanistic conception of the Trinity, as a unity of equal "persons," (God is not a person), just as Unitarian churches over-emphasize Jesus' statement of God as "his Father" at the expense of the permanence of the divinity of Christ (before Abraham was "I am").

A "person" is not an apposite way to formulate any conception of divinity where Christ told us that "God is spirit." As God is much higher than a person, so any conception of God based on "personhood" diminishes the glory and order of God. Trinity is a communist or semi-idolatrous notion of God, although a trinity of revelation expressed in the singular ("name" versus "names"), such as is expressed in the baptismal formula, is acceptable.

OTOH, God as the Father is correct, but incorrect if it disallows for Jesus Christ, his only son, sitting on the thone of God. Thus Paul the apostle usually defers both to God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

JW conception of Jesus as less than divine, or only an angel, would seem to be at odds with the bible. (Heb 1; the son is the "image" of God). An angel could not be the image of God.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
The Trinity as classically expressed by Trinitarian, i.e. stricty Nicene, churches contains a heretical philosophical and humanistic slant on divinity, which may be said to over-emphasize the humanistic conception of the Trinity, as a unity of equal "persons," (God is not a person), just the unitarian churches over-emphasize Jesus' statement of God as "his Father" at the expense of the permanence of the divinity of Christ (before Abraham was "I am").

A "person" is not an apposite way to formulate any conception of divinity where Christ told us that "God is spirit." As God is much higher than a person, so any conception of God based on "personhood" diminishes the glory and order of God. Trinity is a communist or semi-idolatrous notion of God, although a trinity of revelation expressed in the singular ("name" versus "names"), such as is expressed in the baptismal formula, is acceptable.

OTOH, God as the Father is correct, but incorrect if it disallows for Jesus Christ, his only son, sitting on the thone of God. Thus Paul the apostle usually defers both to God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

JW conception of Jesus as less than divine, or only an angel, would seem to be at odds with the bible. (Heb 1; the son is the "image" of God). An angel could not be the image of God.

Interesting view. Thank you.