• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Tao Sentient?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I see no evidence in Taoist literature of the notion that the Tao is sentient. Do you? If so, what evidence?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I see no evidence in Taoist literature of the notion that the Tao is sentient. Do you? If so, what evidence?

I never understood that it was meant to be sentient. Then again, I find concepts that are supposed to be "ineffable," to generally mean that they're just not that well thought out or defined. So, who knows? Maybe?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sentience is the capacity to feel and experience the world subjectively.

Proteins are any of a class of nitrogenous organic compounds that consist of large molecules composed of one or more long chains of amino acids and are an essential part of all living organisms.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Among other things, I'm a geek. One of my favorite geek heroes is an amazing computer scientist named Alan Kay. Among his many pithy quotes is this:

The correct perspective is worth 80 IQ points. - Alan Kay

We see the truth in this "meta-perspective" all through our lives. We might be struggling with a tricky problem, and all of a sudden we see it from a different perspective, and the hard problem becomes easy.

I believe the Tao provides one of these powerful, 80 IQ point perspectives.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
IF the Tao were sentient wouldn't that make it uncomfortably like god?
Sometimes what you are getting at misses me, but what is uncomfortable about finding a way to unify the various wisdom traditions of man and finding more inclusivism. Perhaps with enough broadening of religious positions a meet might occur as opposed to conflicting views. I am comfortable with that.

kierkegaard

The best way out is always through
IF the Tao were sentient wouldn't that make it uncomfortably like god?
I think that's what atheists promote. Over on Quora I heard someone question the intentions of "the universe," by not answering their prayer. Many people who talk about the Tao, karma, etc., have actually done practically zero serious inquiry, and are just playing around.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It doesn't really say one way or the other. The Taoists I know say that it is up to the person -- if they want to believe Tao is sentient, its find, and if they don't, that's fine too.