• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Tanakh for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
It seems to me that you are the one missing the point. One can be honest WITHOUT being rude.

For instance, instead of labeling some people as being "dead-weight", you could say "IMO they are evading their responsibilities as citizens". The message is given without being rude.

If one is evading one's responsibilities and making oneself into a burden then it isn't rude to describe such a person as dead-weight, only accurate.

Levite typically makes his claims carefully and in a non-exclusive manner, suggesting that he doesn't have a personal stake in the matter.

It appears to me that you're taking his assessment of the state of the Jewish world and seeing it as a personal attack on some group to which you belong. From the outside, it would seem Levite is simply voicing his blunt opinion in terms best suited for communicating his ideas.

Of course, were all idiots on the far left :D (Pot, kettle).

You do realize that he didn't say that the far left were all idiots?

You're taking what he actually said, and understanding it as something he didn't.

Levite

Higher and Higher
If one is evading one's responsibilities and making oneself into a burden then it isn't rude to describe such a person as dead-weight, only accurate.

Levite typically makes his claims carefully and in a non-exclusive manner, suggesting that he doesn't have a personal stake in the matter.

It appears to me that you're taking his assessment of the state of the Jewish world and seeing it as a personal attack on some group to which you belong. From the outside, it would seem Levite is simply voicing his blunt opinion in terms best suited for communicating his ideas.

You're taking what he actually said, and understanding it as something he didn't.

Thank you very much.

I don't plan on saying anything further in regard to this. I just don't see any point in continuing to engage.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
I also have no interest in continuing this inane discussion, Good Knight. :D

CMike

It seems to me that you are the one missing the point. One can be honest WITHOUT being rude.

For instance, instead of labeling some people as being "dead-weight", you could say "IMO they are evading their responsibilities as citizens". The message is given without being rude.

Another example...

Conservative rabbis are a blight on Judaism.

Another way to put it.

I disagree with how some conservative rabbis speak about other jews.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Both religiously and socially, the far left is a mess of appalling ignorance of Jewish text and tradition, apathy about nearly every kind of Jewish practice and observance, and indifference to the preservation of Jewish identity; the far right is a mess of oppressive sexism, homophobia, tolerance of corruption and perversion amongst authority figures, and rigid quashing of flexible thought. The middle, such as it is, doesn't appear able to sort its a** from its elbows without tripping twice over its own feet.

We're not even being a light unto ourselves right now, let alone unto anyone else.
Perhaps colorfully overstated but, given the context, to condemn it as 'rude' strikes me as more than a little silly.

CMike

I do feel that charedi should be drafted into the military.

They should participate in defending the country.

Some of the greatest jews were fighters, i.e. Joshua, King David, Gideon, Deborah, Yael, etc.

dantech

Some of the greatest jews were fighters, i.e. Joshua, King David, Gideon, Deborah, Yael, etc.

You forgot Moses. He raised his arms for so long, they had to hold them up for him :p

Akivah

This is better than the rude thing, everyone got their say.

Yes, I agree that every able bodied Israeli citizen should defend their country. There are numerous biblical examples of righteous people doing their duty. I disagree that certain professions should be exempt from military service.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Both RabbiO and Levite are actual Rabbis of their respective denominations. I am still a student and am not in Rabbinical training.

CMike

Just because someone may be a rabbi doesn't mean he is *my* rabbi, whether online or not online.

Also, what a "rabbi' actually means can vary greatly.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Staff Advisory***

This thread has been permanently closed per staff consensus.

Please keep Rule 10 in mind in the future and refrain from debating in DIR sections.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored green, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments.

The Same Faith Debates subforum is specifically for debate between members of the same faith. Members that are not part of a same faith debate thread's selected faith may not post at all in those threads. The Political "Only" subforums are also used specifically for that group and may not be posted in by members that do not correspond to the political position of the subforum. These two forums are colored purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.