• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the soul worthy of worship?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Those of you are who religious, do you find the concept of worshipping your soul to be blasphemous?
My opinion: I propose that the soul is God itself. Man is separated into two distinct entities: the ego and the inner self (soul). Ego is what makes you, well, you. It is the “I” in your consciousness. The soul is connected fully with God. There is no separation between the soul and God, as there is between the ego and God.
Atman is within Brahman, right?
I believe the soul to be God itself. If God is worthy of worship, then is my soul worthy of worship?
What does worship even mean?
If I’m not restricted by theistic beliefs, worshipping myself would seem to be having faith in my own higher power. I believe every human to have the ability to access the power of God through using their thinking mind and soul.
To even say “my” soul is my ego being counter intuitive.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In my view, a soul is not worthy of worship.

Then again, you're talking to someone who doesn't think gods are worthy of worship.

But I do agree with your assessment that there is no dichotomy between the Self and "God" (between Atman and Brahman).

Audie

Veteran Member
Those of you are who religious, do you find the concept of worshipping your soul to be blasphemous?
My opinion: I propose that the soul is God itself. Man is separated into two distinct entities: the ego and the inner self (soul). Ego is what makes you, well, you. It is the “I” in your consciousness. The soul is connected fully with God. There is no separation between the soul and God, as there is between the ego and God.
I believe the soul to be God itself. If God is worthy of worship, then is my soul worthy of worship?
If I’m not restricted by theistic beliefs, worshipping myself would seem to be having faith in my own higher power. I believe every human to have the ability to access the power of God through using their thinking mind and soul.

Is any of that worthy of thinking up in
the first place? Whats it good for?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Is any of that worthy of thinking up in
the first place? Whats it good for?
Whether or not there is a soul, and if that soul is God, are important questions I think. Think about the implications if there is no soul, and vice versa.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

in the OT spirit = hebrew ruach means mind
in english the word spiritual is a synonym = mental
in the nt it says to worship god in spirit, god is spirit, and to glorify god in your body.

in the OT it says be still and know that I AM god, i will be exalted among the nations, i will be exalted in the earth(body).

if this is true then thou shall not take the name in vain because everything contains the spirit of god in it and so the law of ONE is to love thyself and thy neighbor as thyself because of the divine is in both.

so there is service to self and service to all as self

Audie

Veteran Member
Whether or not there is a soul, and if that soul is God, are important questions I think. Think about the implications if there is no soul, and vice versa.

Since all efforts to detect the existence of
a " soul" have been unsuccessful, i think
it cam be legitimately be
stated that there is no information on
the subject.

Which leaves making things up, does it
not?

FTM, if you did somehow determine that a god
does exist, what is an appropriate response?

Compose songs? Put up a building?
Shiut atva street corner? Give up sex?
Crawl up a mountain? Attack neighbours?

"God" ans "soul" are not about to reveal
their existence or give instructions on what to
do next.

So fsr from important questions those
are nom questions- imo of course.

Opinion subject to change in response
to even a scrap of data.

Audie

Veteran Member
I disagree with that, which is why obviously worshiping own soul is not a good idea.
Are you entirely sure that self worship is
not the very " soul" of selecting a religion, choosing to believe in it, and then worshipping
that?

Brian2

Veteran Member

In the Bible God breathes the breathe of life (spirit) into a physical body and the combination is a living soul.
The spirit is a life force that comes from God and God is the Father of that spirit/life but it is separate from God and we are created as separate from God even though we have something from God in us.
This spirit/life force is not dead, like the body, but is a spark of life in it's own right. A living human is both body and spirit combined and we are made to be that. We are separate from God because of that even though we have life from God in us.
This life is what gives the body consciousness and enables us to grow in wisdom, but it is not the body which grows in wisdom, it is the spirit in us and when we die the body returns to dust and the spirit still lives on as the totality of what the person is and has become. It is then called our soul, but is not complete as a human until it is joined again to a body.
Because of the spirit we are made for relationship with God.
I'm sure someone else could explain the Christian perspective better than I can and maybe you don't need an explanation anyway.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Since all efforts to detect the existence of
a " soul" have been unsuccessful, i think
it cam be legitimately be
stated that there is no information on
the subject.

Which leaves making things up, does it
not?

If you base any knowledge you have on science.

"God" ans "soul" are not about to reveal
their existence or give instructions on what to
do next.

That is what God does but it is not just through the brain that God reveals Himself to us.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, ultimately there is no separation. But, the ego is what we mainly identify with as "me", which is seen and held as separate from the 'other', including God as other to us. We are conditioned to think in dualistic terms like this, and the soul, in us, gets identified with as separate, or distinct in some manner from God, and God from it or us. This is just the nature of the dualistic mind.

And don't forget that language itself is what largely creates and reinforces this separation. We speak of God in either 3rd person terms as the "other", or in 2nd person terms as 'you' or 'thou' in relational terms. Rarely if ever do we say God and mean ourselves in 1st person terms, even if technically speaking God is within us and is us, as God cannot be separate from anything or anyone in any sense, other than a mental perception of separation.

When it comes to nonduality, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person perspectives are understood as simply modes of perspective, not absolute realities, in the way the dualistic mind holds them.

This quote her may help touch on what you are trying to say. In meditation or other spiritual practice, in the visualizing 'God', this is at its highest form what happens that dissolves this separation, or exposes a recognition of the true nature of what this separate things are:

"But this is not God as an ontological other, set apart from the cosmos, from humans, and from creation at large. Rather, it is God as an archetypal summit of one's own Consciousness. John Blofeld quotes Edward Conze on the Vajrayana Buddhist viewpoint: " 'It is the emptiness of everything which allows the identification to take place - the emptiness [which means "transcendental openness" or "nonobstruction"] which is in us coming together with the emptiness which is the deity. By visualizing that identification 'we actually do become the deity. The subject is identified with the object of faith. The worship, the worshiper, and the worshiped, those three are not separate' ". At its peak, the soul becomes one, literally one, with the deity-form, with the dhyani-buddha, with (choose whatever term one prefers) God. One dissolves into Deity, as Deity - that Deity which, from the beginning, has been one's own Self or highest Archetype."

~Ken Wilber, Eye to Eye, pg. 85