• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Right Wing in America Bankrupt for Practical Ideas?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
After watching the Right Wing once again call for tax cuts and deregulation as an antidote to job loss, I've got to ask: Does the Right Wing in America -- that is, America's Conservatives -- have any ideas that actually work in practice? If so, what are those ideas --- and what is the evidence that they work in practice?

Please note: If you cannot provide evidence that a particular Conservative idea works in practice, please start your own thread. This thread is for ideas backed up by evidence the ideas work.

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm pretty sure the sentiments of my generations (the largest EVER) in conjunction with the mass dying of old people will completely disintegrate the Republican party as a major player in politics. We don't even pay attention to them cause they been buffoons, except a reasonable handful.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A whole bunch'o pots calling a whole flock'o kettles black.

(I thought ya'll need one dissenting voice.)

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic

I dunno, I've tried to invent practical ideas. No one would ever implement them of course, but I like to think of stuff.

A

angellous_evangellous

If it's right to be a kettle, black is beautiful.

And the right is incapable of even holding soot on its burning body.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
It depends what you mean by "work." Conservative policies work for the wealthy, so you must qualify.

A

angellous_evangellous

It depends what you mean by "work." Conservative policies work for the wealthy, so you must qualify.

It can't possibly benefit the majority of wealthy people if the entire economy is destroyed.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
It can't possibly benefit the majority of wealthy people if the entire economy is destroyed.
So long as the Republican party can transfer tax dollars to rescue financial institutions (after they collapse from a lack of proper regulation) conservative policy can continue. I am kind of playing devil's advocate here. I am a social democrat, so I believe in cross-class cooperation. For example, the rich should support public education, because it means there will be less criminals on the streets to mug them. :rainbow1:

A

angellous_evangellous

For example, the rich should support public education, because it means there will be less criminals on the streets to mug them. :rainbow1:

That's more than a little optimistic. The only reason why a government funds general education, nutrition, and fitness is for national security: public education gives the population the basic skills to serve in the army. More basic education = larger population from which to draft soldiers.

This isn't to demean the US armed forces, which is a volunteer army that is highly trained and specialized. But if we were in a challenging war, we would have to draft the general population and they need to have a basic education and fitness that can the army can shape into something that can die thoughtlessly for the rich.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
That's more than a little optimistic. The only reason why a government funds general education, nutrition, and fitness is for national security: public education gives the population the basic skills to serve in the army. More basic education = larger population from which to draft soldiers.

This isn't to demean the US armed forces, which is a volunteer army that is highly trained and specialized. But if we were in a challenging war, we would have to draft the general population and they need to have a basic education and fitness that can the army can shape into something that can die thoughtlessly for the rich.
Wouldn't that be more necessary for a modern army? I seem to remember reading a Dissent Magazine article a while back that said the rhetorical strategy used to pass universal education was convincing the upper-classes that they would be safer with public education.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
After watching the Right Wing once again call for tax cuts and deregulation as an antidote to job loss, I've got to ask: Does the Right Wing in America -- that is, America's Conservatives -- have any ideas that actually work in practice? If so, what are those ideas --- and what is the evidence that they work in practice?

I believe tax cuts are a waste of time at the moment. The rich have enough money sitting on the side lines and could invest in employing folks already. Why have they declined to create jobs recently?

The American worker comes with too many strings attached. It's not the regulations that is necessarily the deal breaker, it is the global competition that does not have the regulations where they make things.

This unlevel playing field has removed the incentive to employ folks.

The global economy will be the death of us all.

Life as we know it is going to change as America no longer makes things and provides opportunity for it's citizens to prosper.

Our leaders have gave away the ability for America to compete with our unbalanced trade agreements.

In this election season, we can demonise each other all we want but that changes little. We borrow money from China and then give them aid. We borrow 40 cents of every dollar we spend and people want to spend even more.

Let's use some common sense here:

Why would we want to compete with third world countries unless we where willing to work under the same conditions?

Is the planet any greener if we buy goods and services from these countries that have no regulations?

Taxes and regulations are not the problem, free trade agreements are.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
No kidding. Americans had better wake up and smell the coffee. There has to be something we can do that benefits everyone and not help one person at the expense of another. That is just wealth redistribution. This country needs wealth expansion because the current pie is not big enough for everyone.

Bleeding the rich is a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe tax cuts are a waste of time at the moment. The rich have enough money sitting on the side lines and could invest in employing folks already. Why have they declined to create jobs recently?

The American worker comes with too many strings attached. It's not the regulations that is necessarily the deal breaker, it is the global competition that does not have the regulations where they make things.

Life as we know it is going to change as America no longer makes things and provides opportunity for it's citizens to prosper.

Our leaders have gave away the ability for America to compete with our unbalanced trade agreements.

In this election season, we can demonise each other all we want but that changes little. We borrow money from China and then give them aid. We borrow 40 cents of every dollar we spend and people want to spend even more.

Why would we want to compete with third world countries unless we where willing to work under the same conditions?

Is the planet any greener if we buy goods and services from these countries that have no regulations?

I agree.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I agree, too.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Try speaking about gay marriage rights to a racist Conservative :facepalm:

In other words: Nope.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Try speaking about gay marriage rights to a racist Conservative :facepalm:

In other words: Nope.

Are you saying all Conservatives are racist?

If not, speaking to Liberal or Progressive racists would have the same results right?

The problem as I see it is racism not conservatism.