• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Religious Right in America gunning for you?

Is the Religious Right going to try to take away more hard-won freedoms?

• Yes, beating Roe, they'll target other rights they hate.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No, they only care about abortion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And like many politicians, Jesus is lying. He and John the Baptist were against temple authority for various reasons.
Jesus gives his reasons and explains why the many reasons for his many ' woes ' pronounced at Matthew 23:13-35
Jesus nor his followers tried to overthrow authority, nor try to operate the machinery of government.
Jesus and his followers did Not get involved in the 'issues of the day' between the Jews verses the Romans.
Jesus and his followers remained politically neutral.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not a single episode suggests that they are mentally mature. Eve ate the fruit because it looked delicious. She didn’t give a dissertation on the philosophy of disobedience.
Instead of going to Adam she chose for herself.
Satan the Master of Distraction told Eve she would Not die.
Eve could have seen some animals eat the forbidden fruit and Not die.
Remember: the fruit was Not poisonous. The sin was disobedience. It was disobedience = death. - Genesis 2:17

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And it could be argued that it is why he failed to change anything.
Back then Jesus was Not here to change anything in the world. Change comes at Jesus' Glory Time - Matthew 25:31-33
Jesus was here to preach and teach about God's kingdom - Luke 4:43; Daniel 2:44.
At Pentecost Jesus became Head of the Christian congregation no matter where located on Earth.
Jesus has a ' spiritual kingdom ' over the international Christian congregation.
When Jesus comes (Rev. 22:20) then Jesus will be King of God's Kingdom government for a thousand years over Earth, or over earthly subjects of God's Kingdom - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Psalms 72:8; Psalms 72:12-14

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I know, because they don't actually have any basis for morality. It's just what feels good to them.

Yet when researched atheists are at least as moral as theists on any level playing field. So you just made up a rather pointless lie didn't you.

<CITATION>
" No matter how we define morality, religious people do not behave more morally than atheists, although they often say (and likely believe) that they do."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Do you believe that we should base our laws on a country that got wiped off the map after splitting in a civil war?

Since Pentecost we are Not dealing with any fleshly national country of Israel but ' spiritual Israel '- 1 Peter 2:9,5.
'Spiritual Israel' the international Christian congregation no matter where located on Earth.
Jerusalem 'above' is now the seat of government - Galatians 4:26
The nation of 'spiritual Israel' is Not located on any map. It has No borders nor boundaries found on any map.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know, because they don't actually have any basis for morality. It's just what feels good to them.
We heathens actually have pretty much the same
basis for morality as believers. How so?
We all grow up with natural human tendencies, eg,
a concept of fairness. Believers aren't immune to
these. And we grow in a culture that is larger than
any religion.

We see many Christians disagreeing with each other
about the Bible's meaning, what's right, & what's wrong.
I attribute this to the Bible's imprecision, & gleaning the
meaning that comports with how one feels & what one
values as a human living in a diverse culture.

Are religious values better or at least more consistent
than atheists'? An example...GW Bush believed God
wanted him to invade Iraq & Afghanistan. Was this
moral or immoral?
George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'
That is just one example of many.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It's convinced me even more. There's no basis for morality in the atheist world...that doesn't mean atheists can't be moral, of course.
Of course there is, you just refuse to recognize it.

Your basis for morality is "might makes right" and "do what you're told" which I would argue isn't a system of morality at all since it's just following orders. And on top of that, it's subjective because it's based on the whims of a deity. A deity that you can't even demonstrate exists in the first place. Oddly enough, the views of the God(s) people claim to exist always seem to match up with their pre-existing beliefs about moral values. Hence all the different religions and different denominations of each religion.

Sorry to tell you, but you are in the same boat as everybody else on this.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Of course there is, you just refuse to recognize it.

Your basis for morality is "might makes right" and "do what you're told" which I would argue isn't a system of morality at all since it's just following orders. And on top of that, it's subjective because it's based on the whims of a deity. A deity that you can't even demonstrate exists in the first place. Oddly enough, the views of the God(s) people claim to exist always seem to match up with their pre-existing beliefs about moral values. Hence all the different religions and different denominations of each religion.

Sorry to tell you, but you are in the same boat as everybody else on this.
You haven't demonstrated that atheists have any basis for morality.
It's not subjective when there's a higher authority involved. Moral equals obedience to God and immoral equals disobedience.
Here’s prominent atheist Jerry Coyne’s editorial in USA Today to explain why atheists can’t ground free will.

Excerpt:

"And that’s what neurobiology is telling us: Our brains are simply meat computers that, like real computers, are programmed by our genes and experiences to convert an array of inputs into a predetermined output. Recent experiments involving brain scans show that when a subject “decides” to push a button on the left or right side of a computer, the choice can be predicted by brain activity at least seven seconds before the subject is consciously aware of having made it. (These studies use crude imaging techniques based on blood flow, and I suspect that future understanding of the brain will allow us to predict many of our decisions far earlier than seven seconds in advance.) “Decisions” made like that aren’t conscious ones. And if our choices are unconscious, with some determined well before the moment we think we’ve made them, then we don’t have free will in any meaningful sense."

If you don’t have free will, then you can’t make moral choices, and you can’t be held morally responsible. No free will means no morality.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You haven't demonstrated that atheists have any basis for morality.
It's not subjective when there's a higher authority involved. Moral equals obedience to God and immoral equals disobedience.
Here’s prominent atheist Jerry Coyne’s editorial in USA Today to explain why atheists can’t ground free will.

Excerpt:

"And that’s what neurobiology is telling us: Our brains are simply meat computers that, like real computers, are programmed by our genes and experiences to convert an array of inputs into a predetermined output. Recent experiments involving brain scans show that when a subject “decides” to push a button on the left or right side of a computer, the choice can be predicted by brain activity at least seven seconds before the subject is consciously aware of having made it. (These studies use crude imaging techniques based on blood flow, and I suspect that future understanding of the brain will allow us to predict many of our decisions far earlier than seven seconds in advance.) “Decisions” made like that aren’t conscious ones. And if our choices are unconscious, with some determined well before the moment we think we’ve made them, then we don’t have free will in any meaningful sense."

If you don’t have free will, then you can’t make moral choices, and you can’t be held morally responsible. No free will means no morality.
So, these experiments suggest that there is actually no free will (and hence no morality, as you state) and this is irrespective of the brain scans coming from either atheists or theists.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Pretty much all species have what's called a "pecking order", and it is this basis that can and does create some "morality". And there also are a small percent within any species that are what we call "deviants", and this has even been seen with bacteria.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Jesus gives his reasons and explains why the many reasons for his many ' woes ' pronounced at Matthew 23:13-35
Jesus nor his followers tried to overthrow authority, nor try to operate the machinery of government.
Jesus and his followers did Not get involved in the 'issues of the day' between the Jews verses the Romans.
Jesus and his followers remained politically neutral.
Sorry but John the Baptist was executed for saying that the king was immoral. Jesus threw a Temple Tantrum, assaulting people with a whip. They were executed for political resistance.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Instead of going to Adam she chose for herself.
Satan the Master of Distraction told Eve she would Not die.
Eve could have seen some animals eat the forbidden fruit and Not die.
Remember: the fruit was Not poisonous. The sin was disobedience. It was disobedience = death. - Genesis 2:17
There is nothing wrong with that. Eve was created after the rule was given. If you argue Adam told her about it, then he is responsible for why she says it wrong.