• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Religious Right in America gunning for you?

Is the Religious Right going to try to take away more hard-won freedoms?

• Yes, beating Roe, they'll target other rights they hate.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No, they only care about abortion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

InChrist

Free4ever
Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that in late June the decision of SCOTUS on abortion is delivered, and it is substantially the same as the leaked document penned by Justice Alito. (Presumably including the arguments based on 400 year old jurists who just happened to believe in witches empowering evil spirits in the world). What will they aim for next?

I believe that the religious right thinks itself "on a roll," and that if you are not a heterosexual, cis-gender God-fearer, they are coming for you. So far as I can tell, they have never been shy about making this intention perfectly clear, even though many weren't paying attention.

Thinks like same-sex marriage, the right to make love to the consenting individual of your choice, the right not to have to "join us in prayer," and many more, I believe, will all soon be under threat, because the Religious Right is now smelling blood, and it is hugely energizing for them.
I highly doubt the “religious right” (whoever they are) thinks they are on a roll or will be threatening or coming after the issues you listed. Yet, I’ve noticed it sure seems like a lot of progressive liberal abortion supporters don’t mind becoming very hostile, threatening others, slandering those they don’t agree with, using or inciting violence to achieve their goals.

It’s kind of creepy and pretty ironic you used terminology like “smelling blood”, when so many pro-abortion proponents actually support shedding the blood of pre-born infants. There are well over 2000 abortions a day in the US, 98+ per hour, and about 1 every 37 seconds. That is a lot of blood.

Abortion Statistics | ALL

User Clip: Dr. Anthony Levatino | C-SPAN.org

Personally, I don’t think morality can, nor necessarily should be legislated by the government. I also think it would be better if government would stay out of defining or licensing marriage. I definitely believe in religious freedom or freedom to be non- religious.
Abortion is another matter, though. There are legitimate and necessary laws against murder. I think abortion crosses the line and there is no way to rationalize away the reality that killing a pre-born infant is cruelty and murder.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Thinks like same-sex marriage, the right to make love to the consenting individual of your choice, the right not to have to "join us in prayer,"
IMHO:
Not sure they will roll these back.

There are too many same-sex priests making not even what I would call "love", more like rape. They better get their own sex-act together.

Would be a very good argument to knock them down in court, reminding them "let thy yes be a yes" and "live by example then no need to preach" and "thought, word and deed should be one"(not only thought and act) . A good judge should be able to choose right. If judge is no good then you have real trouble

and many more, I believe, will all soon be under threat, because the Religious Right is now smelling blood, and it is hugely energizing for them.
Yes, many more will follow
The "New Normal" has just begun, the ones that created and started this have written (and spoken) down this exactly, for all who can read and want to hear

Is the Religious Right in America gunning for you?

Yes. And Americans love guns, so I don't think they'll mind. Just a chance to use their guns (this is a joke from someone who lives in a country where guns are not allowed and we don't have these crazy million lawsuits either)

firedragon

Veteran Member
I highly doubt the “religious right” (whoever they are) thinks they are on a roll or will be threatening or coming after the issues you listed. Yet, I’ve noticed it sure seems like a lot of progressive liberal abortion supporters don’t mind becoming very hostile, threatening others, slandering those they don’t agree with, using or inciting violence to achieve their goals.

It’s kind of creepy and pretty ironic you used terminology like “smelling blood”, when so many pro-abortion proponents actually support shedding the blood of pre-born infants. There are well over 2000 abortions a day in the US, 98+ per hour, and about 1 every 37 seconds. That is a lot of blood.

Abortion Statistics | ALL

User Clip: Dr. Anthony Levatino | C-SPAN.org

Personally, I don’t think morality can, nor necessarily should be legislated by the government. I also think it would be better if government would stay out of defining or licensing marriage. I definitely believe in religious freedom or freedom to be non- religious.
Abortion is another matter, though. There are legitimate and necessary laws against murder. I think abortion crosses the line and there is no way to rationalize away the reality that killing a pre-born infant is cruelty and murder.
https://www.all.org/abortion/abortion-statistics

For whatever reason beyond me, I have never looked at abortion statistics in the U.S.

Thanks for this.

danieldemol

Premium Member
there is no way to rationalize away the reality that killing a pre-born infant is cruelty and murder.
When that pre-born is not even sentient the charge of cruelty to it is nonsensical, and it can only be considered murder if you consider it to be a living person from the moment of conception.

Do you advocate not switching off the life-support systems of the clinically brain dead even though they can be kept "living" indefinitely?

If you do advocate that you are irrationally attached to living cells and since you kill off a certain number of cells every time you scratch your nose or remove a tumour or any other number of activities you are a murderer by the definition of killing non-sentient life.

If you dont advocate that then it is inconsistent to consider the destruction of pre-sentient life as being any more "murder" than the destruction of post sentient life.

In my opinion.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No, because I'm not an American.
How is this a General Religioous Debate?
If one aspect of religious belief (and it's not just Christianity, there are ultra-right-wing Muslims, Jews and others, too) think that they have a right to impose their religiously-inspired moral views on others --- how is that NOT a general religious debate?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If one aspect of religious belief (and it's not just Christianity, there are ultra-right-wing Muslims, Jews and others, too) think that they have a right to impose their religiously-inspired moral views on others --- how is that NOT a general religious debate?

Well, it could be in general debates, or general political debates.
It is not just some religious people, who have the belief that they have the right based on the "Truth".

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
the right is highly delusional and hardly about freedom or more rights
the right is highly delusional and hardly about freedom or more rights
That's your opinion. You know what they say about opinions...
All I see are the left wanting more restrictions on rights.
Force people to get jabbed. Force them to register guns, force a million little unnecessary rules about every aspect of life. The right wants less laws overall, but the sensible laws enforced.

wellwisher

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that in late June the decision of SCOTUS on abortion is delivered, and it is substantially the same as the leaked document penned by Justice Alito. (Presumably including the arguments based on 400 year old jurists who just happened to believe in witches empowering evil spirits in the world). What will they aim for next?

I believe that the religious right thinks itself "on a roll," and that if you are not a heterosexual, cis-gender God-fearer, they are coming for you. So far as I can tell, they have never been shy about making this intention perfectly clear, even though many weren't paying attention.

Thinks like same-sex marriage, the right to make love to the consenting individual of your choice, the right not to have to "join us in prayer," and many more, I believe, will all soon be under threat, because the Religious Right is now smelling blood, and it is hugely energizing for them.

We have human rights which apply to all humans. We have the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to name a few categories.

The Left has gone down the path of assigning sub-set rights to some human to get votes, that do not apply to all humans. One such example is women's right. Can you list me any men's rights to balance this off? This specialty subset of human rights that only apply to a narrow voter demographic is where problems begin.

The adults in the room feel a need to act. If specialty rights appear, that do not include all humans, they violate basic human rights for someone else. The unborn is not assigned any specialty rights by the Left. The Right is deemed radical is they suggests the unborn has human rights without any specialty rights.

There is a pattern to all this. If you look at abortion and LGBQT considerations, what they all have in common is they are all various forms of manipulated birth control. All these behavior do not end in children being born. Birth control has been a policy of the Left since the 1960's, when the sky was falling and the world was going to over populate.

The Left would have loved to legislate limiting the number of children, to defend the world against over population. This never panned out but panic works for them. It would have been impossible to use the panic button to regulate the number of children that parents could have, in Democratic countries like the USA, due to our rights. They could not dictate like China did, even though they tried.

The Left came up with various ways for people to choose behavior that would not lead to children, thereby not technically taking away the right to choose, while still limiting population growth. Their minions do not even see how they have been duped. To make this work, the Left taught emotional thinking instead of critical thinking, using buzz words like women's rights, which violate the humans rights of the unborn. Unless you can also define the sub-set human rights for men and for the unborn to balance this off, specialty women rights violate human rights since these "rights" impact others in an adverse way.

In terms of abortion, if you asked all women after an abortion, why they did it, very few would say they feared for their own life or they were a victim of sexual assault. Most answers would be connected to wanting to stay in the game. A pregnancy would be like a season ending injury for an athlete or player. Does staying in the game justify the loss of the right to life of the unborn? It seem like a rather sleazy excuse to take away humans rights.

The sub-set idea of women's rights was invented to make it appear that any excuse would be justified based on some faux legal concept. This was reinforced vey the Left teaching relative morality. It was all about birth control and not over populating the earth with the children of impulsive and self serving women. The religious right still believes in such women, and thinks they can still be a good parent and have good children even if the Left needs them for limited population growth.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
So why do they have a history of opposing gay marriage, cannabis legalization, atheists holding office, public displays of non-christian religions, flag burning, gambling, sex work, and adult entertainment?
You want freedom to get high, get aids, burn a flag, gamble away your money and hire a prostitute?
How about freedom to own firearms, mow your yard only when you want to, eat steak, and not get jabbed?
How about freedom to better yourself instead of freedom to destroy yourself?

Viker

Häxan
No one cares about who you love. Marriage is by definition between people of different sexes, however so why would you want it?
The legal rights and social recognition afforded to different sex couples. If I loved someone and spent my life with them I would like the same rights/protections. It's been the problem secularizing marriage in the first place and allowing only one group what amounts to special treatment.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You know, an acorn isn't an oak tree. As well, if you believe that nature isn't 'mute,' you can see that it wants a balance instilled in the organisms which fill its body. In most cases, creature A slowly evolves a trait, which is offset by a slowly evolved counter-trait in creature B. Humans have the freedom to describe that as a house of cards, and knock it down. They can introduce invasive species, and cut down the amazon, or build houses on a hill above a watershed, so that waste runs off into it. Contemporary, modern western philosophy or religion typically does not grant 'personhood' to nature
A baby at 20 weeks is a baby.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
No more than, say, a child's right not to be accidentally shot. Would you agree that gun control is pro-freedom?
That doesn't even make sense. Everyone has the right not to be shot regardless of gun laws. You are equating rights with loss of rights. That's a safety question. Does my kid have the right not to fall down the stairs? Should we outlaw stairs?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The legal rights and social recognition afforded to different sex couples. If I loved someone and spent my life with them I would like the same rights/protections. It's been the problem secularizing marriage in the first place and allowing only one group what amounts to special treatment.
Fine. Just call it a civil union. What's wrong with that,,?