• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Religious Right in America gunning for you?

Is the Religious Right going to try to take away more hard-won freedoms?

• Yes, beating Roe, they'll target other rights they hate.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No, they only care about abortion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

We Never Know

No Slack
Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that in late June the decision of SCOTUS on abortion is delivered, and it is substantially the same as the leaked document penned by Justice Alito. (Presumably including the arguments based on 400 year old jurists who just happened to believe in witches empowering evil spirits in the world). What will they aim for next?

I believe that the religious right thinks itself "on a roll," and that if you are not a heterosexual, cis-gender God-fearer, they are coming for you. So far as I can tell, they have never been shy about making this intention perfectly clear, even though many weren't paying attention.

Thinks like same-sex marriage, the right to make love to the consenting individual of your choice, the right not to have to "join us in prayer," and many more, I believe, will all soon be under threat, because the Religious Right is now smelling blood, and it is hugely energizing for them.

Its not religion doing that. Its politics.
They see religious people as many potential votes in the future elections so they try to appease them to secure their votes.
That's my opinion on it.

Psalm23

I consider myself right leaning. I hold to pro-life. I believe in the freedom of expression of religion and freedom not to express religion. I believe in the freedom for people to marry whether a man and a woman or a same sex couple. I'm not sure how many on the right would agree with my views.

GardenLady

They see religious people as many potential votes in the future elections so they try to appease them to secure their votes.
That's my opinion on it.

While I do see the political right pandering to the religious right for votes, I do think some of them in office are "true believers." Like the Blues Brothers, they are "on a mission from God."

It's ironic that the political right consider themselves the champions of the Constitution. Because the religious right portion of that political right is certainly on a road to imposing theocracy, which is counter-constitutional. But their position, in many cases, is that the Constitution guarantees freedom OF religion, but not freedom FROM religion.

I'm thinking they will go after overturning Obergefell next.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's my opinion on it.
The whole moral basis for the pro-life argument is religious. Right wing politics has absorbed these views and has become part of their long term agenda. As a political policy it is very shortsighted and makes no adjustments to the net result of banning abortion. Will states have to build orphanages? Will more money have to be spent on foster homes, an perhaps lower the standards, or raise the fees?

If red states ban abortion, ban abortion pills (which Tennessee just did), criminalize anyone involved in an abortion (as Louisiana just did), and criminalize citizens of states from traveling outside of the state for these services, then what is the state prepared to do with unwanted children?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Lol, that's a Crock. The right wants more freedom, not less.
No, you just dismiss the freedoms you don't care about as not worth having or as illegitimate.
BTW a baby being free to be born is a basic human right.
No more than, say, a child's right not to be accidentally shot. Would you agree that gun control is pro-freedom?

NArdas

- Abortion memo not a final decision by SCOTUS
- Which political party is losing women and which political party is gaining them?
- Which political parties leaders said they must do something to save their parties humiliating defeat at mid terms several weeks before the leak?
- Who is trying to capitalize from the unprecedented, unethical leak?
- Who is doxxing SCOTUS members and organizing protests at their personal residences and who is cheering it on and or legitimizing it?
- Who is undermining trust in Government entities?
- How many protesters are paid protesters?
Personal opinion:
All of the things that have been happening at warp speed within the last ten years (though it has been occurring for the last thirty or so) is an attempt to divide us all and it is not a foreign threat but a domestic one. Much of what we see and hear is nothing more than an attempt to divide us all into warring factions so as to divert attention from who we all really should be fighting, as long as we are fighting amongst ourselves then we can never fight the real enemy. The forefathers of this country warned us of this and the Frankenstein monster we have allowed to exist (I apologize to the Frankenstein monster, it wasn't his fault) is larger and more detrimental to our society and democracy as a whole than any outside interference.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The whole moral basis for the pro-life argument is religious. Right wing politics has absorbed these views and has become part of their long term agenda. As a political policy it is very shortsighted and makes no adjustments to the net result of banning abortion. Will states have to build orphanages? Will more money have to be spent on foster homes, an perhaps lower the standards, or raise the fees?

If red states ban abortion, ban abortion pills (which Tennessee just did), criminalize anyone involved in an abortion (as Louisiana just did), and criminalize citizens of states from traveling outside of the state for these services, then what is the state prepared to do with unwanted children?

They say it's religious but they somehow think the Bible has a pro-life message, which is hardly the case.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You post a lot of videos and topics about police abuse. So you are in essence the same as those advocating for reproductive freedom, the right to gay marriage, transgender and equality rights, etc. If the police were no longer held to account for violating citizens rights, do you think there would be an increase in violations, or stay the same?
Your post isn't clear to me.
FYI...
I'm pro abortion, pro gay marriage, pro trans-sexual,
pro constitutional rights, pro holding cops accountable
for mis-deeds, & pro other forms of bodily autonomy.
I see no conflict in these views.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oddly, it's not murder since abortions are a legal procedure, so they are wrong.
It's a subjective matter.
They, you, & I are neither right nor wrong.
Just different perspectives.
And legality of abortion varies from country
to country, & perhaps soon from state to state.

While I am fervently pro abortion rights, & even
broader bodily autonomy (g, anti-conscription,
pro assisted suicide), I see constitutional
weakness in this area. Just because I highly
value something as a right doesn't mean that
it's constitutionally protected.

F1fan

Veteran Member
- Abortion memo not a final decision by SCOTUS
Correct, but it is leaked now and those who voted for this position may not want to look like a flip flopper and change their vote. There is a case where it could have been leaked by jeanie Thomas.

- Which political party is losing women and which political party is gaining them?
I'm going to guess that this SC leak may mean that women avoid republican candidates.

- Which political parties leaders said they must do something to save their parties humiliating defeat at mid terms several weeks before the leak?
There hasn't been a mid term election yet.

- Who is trying to capitalize from the unprecedented, unethical leak?
If you are asking if women's reproductive rights groups are fired up, of course they. The decision wasn't expected to be this severe. They were expecting more restriction, like a 15 or 6 week limit. But this is a total overturning of Roe, and Casey, and perhaps even gay marriage.

The question is why are right wing extremists going after established rights?

- Who is doxxing SCOTUS members and organizing protests at their personal residences and who is cheering it on and or legitimizing it?
Well Collins and Murkowski are both pissed off at Kavenaugh and Gorsuch because they feel deceived in the private interviews they had. Both nominees told the Republican senators that they see Roe as settled law and had no interest in overturning it. Both have voted to overturn Roe in the opening vote. That is before the opinion is even written. It's thought that one of them read the opinion by Alito and no longer agreed with it. The suspicion is that a conservative leaked the opinion to lock in the five votes it has.

- Who is undermining trust in Government entities?
Corrupt Republicans.

- How many protesters are paid protesters?
Not even sure what this means. But didn't;t Trump hire people to fill events he had?

Personal opinion:
All of the things that have been happening at warp speed within the last ten years (though it has been occurring for the last thirty or so) is an attempt to divide us all and it is not a foreign threat but a domestic one. Much of what we see and hear is nothing more than an attempt to divide us all into warring factions so as to divert attention from who we all really should be fighting, as long as we are fighting amongst ourselves then we can never fight the real enemy. The forefathers of this country warned us of this and the Frankenstein monster we have allowed to exist (I apologize to the Frankenstein monster, it wasn't his fault) is larger and more detrimental to our society and democracy as a whole than any outside interference.
This sounds like the start of a complaint, but it's vague and lacks any important details. When people avoid facts and examples, they might be hiding something.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's a subjective matter.
They, you, & I are neither right nor wrong.
Just different perspectives.
And legality of abortion varies from country
to country, & perhaps soon from state to state.

While I am fervently pro abortion rights, & even
broader bodily autonomy (g, anti-conscription,
pro assisted suicide), I see constitutional
weakness in this area. Just because I highly
value something as a right doesn't mean that
it's constitutionally protected.
Morality is ugly. Government in the USA is supposed to make secular decisions. Anti-abortion policies are expressly religious in their moral basis, so while nothing to ignore, shouldn't be deeply relevant to legal policies, as the Roe decisions was framed. Alito's opinion is highly religious in it's moral basis, and on that basis shouldn't be allowed to stand, especially not to reverse a secular decision.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Morality is ugly. Government in the USA is supposed to make secular decisions. Anti-abortion policies are expressly religious in their moral basis, so while nothing to ignore, shouldn't be deeply relevant to legal policies, as the Roe decisions was framed. Alito's opinion is highly religious in it's moral basis, and on that basis shouldn't be allowed to stand, especially not to reverse a secular decision.
We're supposed to have a secular government,
& it is mostly so. But believers do have the right
to influence government. And at times, their
religious goals aren't unconstitutional. With
abortion not addressed in the Constitution, it's
legitimate for them to use their power this way.

We Never Know

No Slack
While I do see the political right pandering to the religious right for votes, I do think some of them in office are "true believers." Like the Blues Brothers, they are "on a mission from God."

It's ironic that the political right consider themselves the champions of the Constitution. Because the religious right portion of that political right is certainly on a road to imposing theocracy, which is counter-constitutional. But their position, in many cases, is that the Constitution guarantees freedom OF religion, but not freedom FROM religion.

"the Blues Brothers" was a movie. We are talking about life.

We Never Know

No Slack

Its politics. Its all about votes.
Everything every politician promises is about votes.
If you don't see that you are blind.

We Never Know

No Slack

Regardless. It can't be done without politics.
Politicians play every angle they can to secure votes. Politicians are the bad guys but everyone stays blind to them.