• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Quran fireproof?

Is burning the Quran a racial hate crime?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Imo it's got a different connotation. I'd rather any terrible book be open and read aloud, than burned. Prevents entrenched beliefs from going underground, out of sight from the public eye and in a better position to abuse.
Granted I don't think burning books, flags, effigees, whatever should be illegal. But I don't always find it constructive.
I agree....& I'm dull.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
If it's being used as a form of protest, it's 1000x better than going out rioting, looting, beating people and smashing windows, as we so often see.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What do we get from burning any books?
The same that we get from most other forms of ridicule and insult, I assume: a measure of ill will and the realization that we are not likely to cooperate with certain expectations.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Wow. Is that actually illegal in the UK? A bit Orwellian. And "racial hatred"? Islam isn't a race, obviously. It's a religion with followers of many races.
I think book burning (or flag burning), provided that it's your own property, should be protected speech.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Should British people be arrested for burning their own property?

Sharia UK: Two Arrested for Burning Qur’ans

Why should any ideology be protected from insults?

It's neither a racial crime, nor a hate crime.

Restricting the rights of free expression, free speech, and protesting certainly should be though.

Any ideology which aims to forcefully stop the symbolic protest of it, is probably the type of ideology that should be protested.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Should British people be arrested for burning their own property?

Sharia UK: Two Arrested for Burning Qur’ans

Why should any ideology be protected from insults?

As long as they were following proper fire safety procedures; I presume the regulations would be comparable to what we have in the U.S.

I think there was a preacher from Georgia a few years ago who wanted to burn some Qur'ans; there was a big fuss made about it, although I don't recall what ended up happening. But as far as I know, it's legal to burn books.

I remember reading how John Lennon once said "The Beatles are bigger than Jesus Christ," and it got so many people upset, they had mass burnings of Beatle albums. I think they did that with Cat Stevens' albums when he expressed pro-Muslim sentiments.

Then there was Disco Demolition Night where they destroyed a whole bunch of disco records as a promotion for a White Sox game. That turned out to be a fiasco, but I would have liked to have been there.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Wow. Is that actually illegal in the UK? A bit Orwellian. And "racial hatred"? Islam isn't a race, obviously. It's a religion with followers of many races.
I think book burning (or flag burning), provided that it's your own property, should be protected speech.
They weren't charged with burning the Quran. And they did more than just burn the Quran. They were actually charged with was related to speech that incites racial hatred, and they video seems rather inflammatory and offensive from what I heard. Not that I agree with the charges, but it doesn't seem to be because any pro-Sharia Muslim thing in England, but actual laws that still exist throughout Europe and occasionally even those who target Christians are charged.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Rolling papers. I suppose it might also be fun to do a Giger-inspired Satanic art from the charcoal and ash of those books.
Ohhhhhhhh, that would make my Satanic Hampsters happy! Then they might lay off the midnight walks looking for neighborhood cats for a day or two.

siti

Hundreds of IS-indoctrinated UK nationals return to the UK from the battles in Iraq and Syria and we have no idea where they are or what they're up to (but we can probably guess), known 'radicals' prepare and plan atrocities under the noses of the authorities who ignore clear evidence of 'radicalism' and obvious signs of a terrorist threat...and the police arrest a couple of idiots for burning a silly little book. Well, if stupidity is a crime who's next - Mrs May perhaps?

Grumpuss