• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the name Jehovah another name for Jesus?

SpiritElf

I might as well address this question too.

Why do people call Yeshua by a Spanish name? Jesus (Hey-zeus).

The quick answer: it's not Spanish. It's from the Greek. The letters have evolved during time (see the above answer about how the alphabet letters evolved in Europe as the Latin language and alphabet spread) and became our "J", which is pronounced differently in English than in more pure Latin-derived tongues. The "Y/I" to "H" sound you noticed (from Iseus to Hay-zeus) has an interesting history in itself, and is limited to certain geographical areas. Other languages (such as Slavic) still pronounce "J" as "Y", as in "Jugoslavia" = "Yugoslavia".
I hope that helps.

BM5

Yahweh is the correct Hebrew Name for the Divinity which includes All three Personages. It is the Hebrew name for " I Am Who Am " that is," the Only God Who Is or Exists "

groovyable

:no:, Jehovah is the name of God not Jesus. The name of God (YHWH, Jehovah) refers to God over 7,000 times within the Bible. And Jesus admitted several times that God is far more powerful than him.

what a groovy smiley >>:rainbow1:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Isa 45v23: I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
Rom 14v11: For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Phil 2v10: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

writer

24 Jehovah is the name of God not Jesus.
Jehovah is Jesus. Jesus is God. Jehovah is triune. Jehovah became flesh in the Son. "Jesus" means "Jehovah Salvation", "Joshua"

The name of God (YHWH, Jehovah) refers to God over 7,000 times within the Bible.
"Jehovah" = "He Is." Exo 3:13-18. "I am who I am. And He said, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, I Am's sent me to you."
Before Abraham came into being, I am, Jn 8:58.
Unless you believe that I Am, you'll die in your sins, 8:24.
I Am became flesh, Jn 20:28-29; 1:1-2, 14

And Jesus admitted several times that God is far more powerful than him.
so do i. Jesus is not God only.
Jesus is also man. Isa 7:11-9:7; Jn 1:14; 20:27

sparkyluv

Halcyon said:
I've always wanted to know;

Why do people call Yeshua by a Spanish name? Jesus (Hey-zeus).

And no, they aren't one and the same, especially if you believe in the trinity - if they were it would by a duality, i guess ;).
Jesus isn't spanish (that's how it's pronounced in spanish). Jesus is the greek equivalent to the hebrew Yeshua.