• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the moral standard of humanists better than God's?

The Transcended Omniverse

I hear horrible things regarding the moral standard set by the God of the bible such as that we are flawed sinful human beings worthy of condemnation and judgment. According to God, I, as a kind and respectful human being, am a corrupt individual worthy of condemnation since I do not believe in this God and do not serve my life to him. This really makes me wonder if my moral standard is better than God's. What if God's moral standard is not perfectly righteous?

What if he really is the type of God that Richard Dawkins and Matt Dillahunty make him out to be? In which case, if this God is real, then he would not be an all loving, all just, and perfectly righteous being. Therefore, as for those types of Christians who claim that God's moral standard is perfectly righteous, how do you know? The idea that he had his son sacrificed isn't enough to justify his claimed perfect righteousness because anyone can make a sacrifice for you. But that doesn't make them a perfectly righteous person.

You can have any type of God who is claimed to be all knowing and perfect, but he needs to have the perfectly righteous moral standard. For example, if it were claimed that there was a perfect God who created this universe and his moral standard was the absolute worst standard of all such as one set by a psychopath or even Hitler, then just because you believe such a God exists does not justify his moral standard as also being perfect. Therefore, for Christians to believe God exists does not justify his moral standard as being perfectly righteous. His moral standard could very well be one of a psychopath and this is what I am thinking here.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Better for humans maybe. But Gods morality is better for God. God says it like this "men are mortal, I will not strive with them forever, therefore their days shall be 120 years." Not because humans want it that way, but because God wants it that way.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
The idea that he had his son sacrificed isn't enough to justify his claimed perfect righteousness because anyone can make a sacrifice for you. But that doesn't make them a perfectly righteous person.
See this shows the level of morality in the statement just made....

Accusing God of murder, when he didn't sacrifice his son, he allows his death to prove a point, and this proves it; most people have no clue about morality, as they accept Christianities concepts as fine. :innocent:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Better for humans maybe. But Gods morality is better for God. God says it like this "men are mortal, I will not strive with them forever, therefore their days shall be 120 years." Not because humans want it that way, but because God wants it that way.
And he wonders why his greatest angel decided to say "**** this" and lead a rebellion? Selfish prick.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
See this shows the level of morality in the statement just made....

Accusing God of murder, when he didn't sacrifice his son, he allows his death to prove a point, and this proves it; most people have no clue about morality, as they accept Christianities concepts as fine. :innocent:

Have you even read the bible?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
And he wonders why his greatest angel decided to say "**** this" and lead a rebellion? Selfish prick.

Because nobody is happy unless they are the top dog. And that's how it ends, the lawless one exalts himself above everything and everyone as if he is God. And you thought Trump was bad? Ha. Then God smashes the Lawless one down, Babylon falling, humans running every which a way.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I was not referring to those. I am referring to the Old Testament.
What that the things ascribed to YHVH are evil in the OT? Yeah did notice...

Yet that wasn't what was picking up on; someone saying it is a standard of morality that God murdered his son, as clearly sacrificing human beings is something that makes someone moral. :eek:
He also has described cannabis as a nutrient. Necessary for proper brain functions.
Research what stated, our brains need a full range of omega oil, which we can get from hemp. ;)

The Omega Truth: Hemp Vs. Fish Oil | NateraLife

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First off, what constitutes "better?" What's the purpose of a moral system? What's it trying to achieve? Social prosperity? Safety? Happiness? A place in the afterlife?

Among the prescriptive, deontological religious systems, which one actually conforms to God's (Gods', Goddess's) wishes?

VioletVortex

If by "god", you mean Yahweh, his "moral standards" were essentially demands created out of his hunger for power. No, I do not believe in Yahweh, but I am referring to his character.

As a polytheist, I don't think that the gods have their own moral standards and definitions of Honour, however, they don't necessarily enforce them upon us. Honour is strength, intelligence, self respect, and respect for the more Honourable (including the gods). Honour is the pivotal source of "right or wrong" in Heathenry. Not exactly morality.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Humans are capable of observing the results of their actions and adjusting their moral standard accordingly. Thus the human standard for morality improves and progresses, "the arc of history bends towards justice". But some humans use the idea of "God's moral standard" to prevent moral progress.

InChrist

Free4ever

According to God, I, as a kind and respectful human being, am a corrupt individual worthy of condemnation since I do not believe in this God and do not serve my life to him.

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
But the Lord weighs the hearts. Proverbs 21:2

Everyone thinks they are kind respectful nice human beings, but God knows our self-serving motives and sees secret sins.
I am not sure where you came up with what you said above, but according to the Bible you and everyone else is corrupt and worthy of condemnation, NOT because of they don't believe, but because of the unkind, disrespectful, wrong things they have done and will not be honest about to God who says we have all sinned.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You can have any type of God who is claimed to be all knowing and perfect, but he needs to have the perfectly righteous moral standard. For example, if it were claimed that there was a perfect God who created this universe and his moral standard was the absolute worst standard of all such as one set by a psychopath or even Hitler, then just because you believe such a God exists does not justify his moral standard as also being perfect. Therefore, for Christians to believe God exists does not justify his moral standard as being perfectly righteous. His moral standard could very well be one of a psychopath and this is what I am thinking here.
Let me point out, since you refer specifically to 'The God of the Bible' that in the Bible Adam and Eve triumph and become like gods. They escape their garden childhood and become fully enabled judges of morality without the need for gods at all. I point this out to make it clear to you that you have been referring to a niche view of the Bible, and it is better to clarify than to repeat the confusing and oppressive view that you have heard or at least point out your source.

shmogie

Is the moral standard of humanists better than God's?

Yes, as they do not pretend their morals come from a "divine source". That alone makes it better.
Interesting. Then where do their morals come from, and what makes their morals moral ?