• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the moon getting nearer ?

ecco

Veteran Member
If that were the case, how could you know the Earth was gaining mass or the mass of the comic dust falling on it per year?
Did you mean how to measure dust from comic books or how to measure the dust from people like Jerry Sienfield and Amy Poehler?

Shad

Veteran Member
As the Earth gains more mass each year it gains gravitational strength , is the moon going to be pulled to Earth and inevitably enter the atmosphere becoming a catastrophic event and the end of human civilization ?

Planets bleed mass not gain it overall. The moon's distance is increasing

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Planets bleed mass not gain it overall. The moon's distance is increasing

The Earth 'bleeds mass' because it still has an atmosphere. I would not be so sure about Mars. With almost no water, and therefore no hydrogen, in its thin atmosphere it probably does not lose mass. And the reason that the distance to the Moon is increasing has practically nothing to do with the Earth losing weight. The tides are responsible for that.

james blunt

The Earth 'bleeds mass' because it still has an atmosphere. I would not be so sure about Mars. With almost no water, and therefore no hydrogen, in its thin atmosphere it probably does not lose mass. And the reason that the distance to the Moon is increasing has practically nothing to do with the Earth losing weight. The tides are responsible for that.
Pfff , it's lucky we don't bleed oxygen into space then !

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Pfff , it's lucky we don't bleed oxygen into space then !

The more massive the molecule, the slower the rate of bleeding. An oxygen molecule is 16 times as massive as a hydrogen molecule, and the effect is exponential. That leads to a very, very slow rate of 'bleeding'.

james blunt

The more massive the molecule, the slower the rate of bleeding. An oxygen molecule is 16 times as massive as a hydrogen molecule, and the effect is exponential. That leads to a very, very slow rate of 'bleeding'.
That's good of nature then , I am glad we don't lose other things like water , we would surely become an arid rock .

james blunt

The save the water campaign

savedwater.jpg

james blunt

The Martian moon Phobos is moving closer to Mars; Phobos is expected to eventually break up into smaller pieces without significantly impacting Mars. So then, Phobos' movement towards Mars shouldn't jeopardize any plans for humans to colonize the Red Planet. ...:)

Mars moon Phobos is doomed to fall apart from stress

I don't know about Mars , I was thinking where ever !

I am just trying to draw my spaceship at the moment , it is rather weird to say the least compared to conventional type thinking on flying saucers .

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I don't know about Mars , I was thinking where ever !

I am just trying to draw my spaceship at the moment , it is rather weird to say the least compared to conventional type thinking on flying saucers .

Mars is likely the first place beyond Earth in our solar system to get a man-made biosphere that is an appreciable fraction in size comparable to Earth's biosphere.
smile.gif

The use of the Big Falcon 9 rocket is instrumental in my plan towards building a biosphere on Mars that'd be an appreciable fraction in size comparable to Earth's biosphere.

The first step towards the terraforming of Mars is the deployment of a magnetic shield that protects Mars against the solar wind stripping of its atmosphere. This magnetic shielding would subsequently allow the planet's atmosphere to reacquire its former density that'd be high enough to allow for sustainable surface liquid water.

gallery-1488399162-screen-shot-2017-03-01-at-31220-pm.png

Reference: https://phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magne...phere.html

An effective artificial magnetosphere placed at Langrangian point 1 from Mars is very achievable with foreseeable technology. This magnetic shielding apparatus could weigh less than a few hundred tonnes which is within the load capacity of a big Falcon 9 rocket. I'm guessing the cost of protecting the Martian atmosphere with an artificial magnetosphere would probably be similar to the cost of a small nuclear reactor.

1*mPYNE8ApyVjSFKErEM2aGg@2x.jpeg

Some few billion tonnes of sulfur hexafluoride gas (SF6) could increase Martian atmospheric surface temperatures by over 20 degrees Celsius. Sulfur hexafluoride - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The SpaceX interplanetary transport system could deliver this super greenhouse gas to Mars at a cost of less than $2,000/kg.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Mar...astructure

A few hundred thousand tonnes of SF6 delivered annually to Mars would cost just approximately $1/2 trillion yearly. This is less than a fraction of a percent of the global economic output value. An accumulation of a few billion tonnes of SF6 at an annual rate of a few hundred thousand tonnes would take less than ten thousand years. The annual cost of less than $100 per person per year on Earth would be totally worth transforming Mars into a world with triple its current atmospheric pressure and a warmer Mars with average surface temperatures greater than typical summer Antarctic temperatures.

james blunt

Mars is likely the first place beyond Earth in our solar system to get a man-made biosphere that is an appreciable fraction in size comparable to Earth's biosphere.
smile.gif

Interesting indeed !

I like your biosphere idea , I would perhaps consider it differently though . Additionally I would prefer my own spacecraft which isn't a rocket but should work , technically anti-gravity but cheating in some ways . Doesn't need rocket fuel to run .

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Are you saying we are going to die of thirst ?

Oh my word, I'd better invent interstellar space travel rather ''sharpish'' then . I have just come up with hover cars , I can modify my design .
Nope. Didn't say that or imply that.

You have a lot of learning to do. I bet that you do not even know why humid air rises. All else being equal humid air, air with water vapor in it, is lighter than dry air. Do you know why?

james blunt

Nope. Didn't say that or imply that.

You have a lot of learning to do. I bet that you do not even know why humid air rises. All else being equal humid air, air with water vapor in it, is lighter than dry air. Do you know why?

Quantum buoyancy ..........did you know ?