• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the media biased?

Rex

Founder
Do you think all of the media is biased with propoganda?

Are there some outlets that strive for the truth?

Lightkeeper

It appears that most of them strive for sensationalism. I used to like Diane Sawyer until I saw her beat the Janet Jackson thing to death.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think using the word 'propoganda' is a bit much, but certain outlets do have a slant, one way or the other, I believe. I think Lightkeeper is right about being mostly done for sensationalism though. They lean the way they think will sell more papers or get more people to watch.

Runt

I believe the media is definitely biased (almost every form of expression is biased in some way), but I wouldn't say it is all propaganda. Some of it, perhaps. Some of it may SEEM like propaganda, or have the effect of propaganda.

Well, the media is prone to have a liberal bias, but I don't think it's on purpose. The fact is, for whatever reason, people who work in the media tend to be more liberal than the population at large, just like how people who work in defense or the military tend to be more conservative.

Runt

I would actually argue that the media is slighly more conservative than it would perhaps otherwise be. For one reason: today if the media asks uncomfortable questions at press conferences they get their press pass pulled (I actually learned this from a journalist). Thus, the media only presents facts that the government WANTS it to present...or facts that they achieved in ways other than simply ASKING the government (interviews, lots of OPINIONS from sources outside the government, etc). Is the media conservative? I'm not saying that at all. But I think it WANTS to be more liberal, but can't go full out.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
bias as in bad news sells better than good news... most definatly...

the media sells fear and the pain of others for a good profit... :mad:

liberal vs. conservative.... I don't think it goes either way.... I think both sides point to the media as the opposition.

wa:-do

Runt--

The government being unwilling to answer tough questions isn't the same as being liberal or conservative. Ever since Vietnam there has been a love-hate relationship between the media and the government--whether that government is conservative or liberal. Democratic officials avoid the tough questions of reporters just as much as Republican officials do.

The fact remains that people who work in the media are much more liberal than the population at large, so when bias appears, it tends to be liberal (though I think news organizations have attempted to be more balanced nowadays).

Runt--

The government being unwilling to answer tough questions isn't the same as being liberal or conservative. Ever since Vietnam there has been a love-hate relationship between the media and the government--whether that government is conservative or liberal. Democratic officials avoid the tough questions of reporters just as much as Republican officials do.

The fact remains that people who work in the media are much more liberal than the population at large, so when bias appears, it tends to be liberal (though I think news organizations have attempted to be more balanced nowadays).