• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Lord responsible for people starving in Africa?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Rozs writes: Life would be worthless with out God.
I believe every entity’s existence is worthwhile whether they have a REALationship with GOD or not. If you require PROOF I have met some of them right here on this forum.

Hope

Princesinha
If I met this woman in Africa, I am certain of one thing--having a philosophical discussion with her about why she is starving, did God allow this to happen to her, she chose the state she is in, etc, etc, would not be what she most desperately needed or wanted. What she would want is simply for someone to give her the nourishment she needs and show kindness and compassion to her through their actions. It's easy for us to sit in our comfortable chairs, in our comfortable houses, in front of our computer screens, and discuss all this to amuse ourselves intellectually, but it does absolutely nothing for the actual pain and suffering that is going on in this world at this very moment....

Ok, I've said enough! Sorry about the little ranting session. :eek:

chuck010342

why because this is a fallen sinful world. People suffer in this world but one day there will be no more suffering

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
As I have stated several times in various threads here, If God (who I do not believe exists) is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, then He is responsible for EVERYTHING, good or bad, that happens in the Universe--including people starving in Africa. However, religious people tend to give God all of the credit for everying GOOD that happens, and none of the blame for BAD things that happen. :confused:

cardero

Citizen Mod
Actually it is my name with an "ism" at the end. I believe that we are our own religion. That through our individual personality and our own personal perspectives that we are unique BEings deserving of our own belief system. I also believe that this is how GOD sees us.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think Hope hit the nail on the head. If everyone is so concerned about the suffering we should do something about. Perhaps G-d isn't punishing the people of Africa maybe he's testing us ever think about that?? We can not truely understand the good and beautiful of the world with out the pain to go with it. For a better perspective watch "Bruce Almighty":jiggy:

chuck010342 said:
why because this is a fallen sinful world. People suffer in this world but one day there will be no more suffering
Ya know chuck there's an old Jewish saying that when G-d essentially "fires" the satan that the people of the world will weep because no longer are we able to get any closer to G-d and the Divine than we will be at that point. The fight and the journey will have ended and we will be sad because of it.
:162:

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
carrdero said:
Actually it is my name with an "ism" at the end. I believe that we are our own religion. That through our individual personality and our own personal perspectives that we are unique BEings deserving of our own belief system. I also believe that this is how GOD sees us.
Thanks! I thought maybe it was a type of Irish Catholicism.

booboo

Evil? Where?
Where is the evil?

Once we put things in terms of Duality, Good and Evil, Cold and Hot, Black and White, then we blind ourselves from the Truth and Reality.

- One day a man was cutting off the leg of a boy.

- The people shouted, "You wicked human being. Have you no compassion? Have you no love?"

- Many people tried to stop the "wicked" man from doing his act, but the man was so strong that everyone feared him.

- The boy whose leg is being cut off was cursing and shouting and tried his best to avoid such a wicked act. If any of you were there, you will certainly say an evil act is being done. A man cutting off a boy's leg. However, this is due to our ignorance of the facts behind this act. If the man was a surgeon and cutting off the leg is the only way to make the boy survive, then is this act not out of compassion and love?

Suffering is not a bad thing, but neither is it good. If we walk the Jungles of Duality, we will not see the Oceans of Unity, whose face is Reality, that speaks the Truth.

Judge not actions. For we can only see the nutshell. Diamonds are not on the surface, but in the core.

booboo

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
if there is no bad, we cannot appriciate goodness. there is a reason there are hungry people. so we have people to feel compassion for and feed.

i dont think evil and goodness really exist. if it does, its only in the mind. there is positive and negative. but, eh.... i dunno.

chuck010342

retrorich said:
As I have stated several times in various threads here, If God (who I do not believe exists) is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, then He is responsible for EVERYTHING, good or bad, that happens in the Universe--including people starving in Africa. However, religious people tend to give God all of the credit for everying GOOD that happens, and none of the blame for BAD things that happen. :confused:
nope God gave man kind freedom of choice. Mankind chooses to make other people suffer. Its mankinds problem but God loves us so much that he sent his son to die for us. so he can redeem the few who believe in him.

huajiro

The "Bible" has caused much of the suffering in the world. If it hadn't directed so many people "be fruitful and multiply" the population would not be so great, and we could feed everyone.

chuck010342

huajiro said:
The "Bible" has caused much of the suffering in the world. If it hadn't directed so many people "be fruitful and multiply" the population would not be so great, and we could feed everyone.
that command was givien to the first two people later by noah and his sons.

the bible isn't the cause of suffering the cause is sin.

the bible condems alot of what people do today

Ceridwen018

We're not talking about the bible, we're talking about God. because God created Sin, I'd say he is responsible. What does Jesus Christ have to say about that?

true blood

Ceridwen018 said:
We're not talking about the bible, we're talking about God. because God created Sin, I'd say he is responsible. What does Jesus Christ have to say about that?
God created evil. Sin was made by a transgression of a law. A law given by God while in fellowship with man. They were both responsible but I suppose its all perspective. Since God is God one could suggest that since he did not stop the transgression God is responsible. It's impossible to know until the end because the end is better then the beginning.

huajiro

chuck010342 said:
that command was givien to the first two people later by noah and his sons.

the bible condems alot of what people do today
Noah and his sons were told to "get their groove on" to populate the planet. No one ever said to stop after we started killing each other, did they? This is because the Church wants more followers, that is why they don't want homosexual marriages.

The misinterpretation of the "Bible" has caused many "sins".

The "Bible" doesn't condemn a lot of things it should about what people do today, such as its own misuse for personal gain.