• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Left Of Politics Fractured?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
If the Left side of politics is fractured, in your opinion, who do you blame? The most vocal and most active around here has been these characters.

Perhaps you believe it is a whole. From my perspective it is terribly confusing, so much so that their own candidates don't know how to manage their own constituents.

Your thoughts?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think Pelosi isn't the best for the country necessarily. She's okay as just a representative, but she has big shoes to fill in her current position.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If you mean "democrats" when you say "the left," you will be mistaken. Democrats are not "the left." They are only slightly less fascist than the republicans on social issues.

amorphous_constellation

I suspect they are actually divided on identity politics. For one side of the left wishes to demarcate, while the other wishes to homogenize. Perhaps this might be framed as an 'equity vs. equality' debate, are identity groups owed things or are we trying to make things amorphously relative

A division exists on who is actually on the left, within the left. I may agree with many left wing issues, but I will not say that those to my right are incapable of being worked with. I do not post memes or one liners , since I think issues are complex and nuanced. In other words, I am not dogmatic, though I do have strong views that I explain with Reason. Reason is supposed to be the tool to win others to your side, if that is your goal, and not the rage that fuels tearing down statues etc. Therefore , those on the far left with say that I am on the right. To me, this is highly offensive actually. I would claim that they are to me right, for they do not possess the quality of open - mindedness, which I consider a progressive quality

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

I'm not sure about Antifa. My best guess is that in the US, they'd be considered "radical left", while on a global scale, they'd just be considered "left".

I would radically consider them to be on my right, because they don't use Reason to argue for their points, but rather choose to argue with aggravation. The use of Reason is what all other views ought to orbit round, in my opinion

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What makes them Far Right. Are their policies or values somehow extreme? Please, be specific.

Sorry.

Okay I'll try to describe it in my own words:

More authoritarian than conservatives. Listens to Fox News. Sees legitimacy in conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones. Has some distrust of science and sometimes a strong distrust of global warming. Likes to create their own version of news stories inserting alternative "what-ifs".

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Okay I'll try to describe it in my own words:
I believe any entity beholden to money is corruptible. I recently worked a job where Politics and Religion were off limits as topics of discussion at the workplace.

Alex Jones
His online presence was wiped clean within a couple days, multiple sites. Sure, I think he is a nut, but I wouldn't censor him.

Has some distrust of science
They brought us the wonders of the atomic bomb and nuclear waste...

and sometimes a strong distrust of global warming
Assuming all scientists are in agreement?

Likes to create their own version of news stories inserting alternative
When in Rome?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is the actual leftists in the US don't have representation. The overton window is so shifted to the right that people in the US think people like Bernie is 'extreme left' when the issues he votes on are fairly bog standard both left and right in most wealthy nations. People in Japan or Canada or Scandanavia or Australia don't consider Socialized medicine, for example, a left vs right issue. Ditto things like gay marriage.
This has created a severely warped mindset on what 'the left' means in the US. And allowed for a lot more extreme right to be seen as the norm.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If the Left side of politics is fractured, in your opinion, who do you blame? The most vocal and most active around here has been these characters.

Perhaps you believe it is a whole. From my perspective it is terribly confusing, so much so that their own candidates don't know how to manage their own constituents.

Your thoughts?

I think the Left overall is a rather large tent with various factions, some of which are more moderate than others. Some believe in working within the system and remaining lawful, while some apparently do not. I'm not sure if "fractured" is the term I would use, but the Left has had a history of infighting and dissension from among their own ranks. But they still keep plugging along.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
I think the Left overall is a rather large tent with various factions, some of which are more moderate than others. Some believe in working within the system and remaining lawful, while some apparently do not. I'm not sure if "fractured" is the term I would use, but the Left has had a history of infighting and dissension from among their own ranks. But they still keep plugging along.
Do you think it will show in this coming election?