• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Intent of God and the Will of God the same thing?

tomspug

Absorbant
This just occurred to me as a good debate topic. People often have beef with all of the bad things in the world being the "will" of God. And I'm wondering if God willing something is the same as God wanting or intending something?

This is, of course, referring to the idea of the fall of man, that sin was not something God intended when he created the world. And yet, Christians tend to accept that God did not create sin while at the same time wills bad things to happen as a result of it. Does this mean that sin was and is his intent for creation?

Just thought I'd explore the distinction.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Intent and will are identical, assuming the being has the ability to exercise their will without hindrance, as a supreme being can.

This just occurred to me as a good debate topic. People often have beef with all of the bad things in the world being the "will" of God. And I'm wondering if God willing something is the same as God wanting or intending something?

This is, of course, referring to the idea of the fall of man, that sin was not something God intended when he created the world. And yet, Christians tend to accept that God did not create sin while at the same time wills bad things to happen as a result of it. Does this mean that sin was and is his intent for creation?

Just thought I'd explore the distinction.

Perhaps there is no intent, but the will of God, is what is supposed to be the manifestation. I cannot say, that God intends happiness and unhappiness.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Is the intent of God and the Will of God the same thing?

It depends on how experienced this certain God is, fulfilling an intent and will can be identical, but they differ in application. They are not necessarily identical in appearance, but in what happens after the act is done.

Imagine I ask you to close the door, typically you and I would both assume that the intent is to close the door and the will is for me to get you to close the door. The difference between will and intent is the moment in between invocation, and depends on if the message is received clearly. How the end is achieved is subject to the means to do justify or enforce the act, and the outcome is not always predictable.