• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the holy spirit a female?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Is the holy spirit a female? Is the real name of the holy spirit - Sophia?

Sophia = is the greek word of wisdom

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No, the Holy Ghost is a Christian concept and is masculine. The female element would be the Shekinah.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
W do not have the concept of holy spirit, but for many Hindus, the Supreme power in the Universe is female.

Goddess-Durga-768x768.jpg

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

the shekina is not female. it's a feminine principle. not exactly the same thing. this what took posession of the temple

matthew 10:20

SHEKINAH - JewishEncyclopedia.com

here you see it being implied for both aspects masculine/feminine

jeremiah 17:8

so in the male the feminine is latent. in the female the masculine is latent.

Bible doesn't say that the Holy Spirit is a female. Bible tells about the Spirit:

I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, [Greek Parakleton: Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, and Comfortor.] that he may be with you forever,- the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.
John 14:16-17

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.
John 14:26

When the Counselor [Greek Parakletos: Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, and Comfortor.] has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will testify about me.
John 15:26

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

Why do you think it matters is the spirit he or she?

Audie

Veteran Member
Bible doesn't say that the Holy Spirit is a female. Bible tells about the Spirit:

I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, [Greek Parakleton: Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, and Comfortor.] that he may be with you forever,- the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.
John 14:16-17

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.
John 14:26

When the Counselor [Greek Parakletos: Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, and Comfortor.] has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will testify about me.
John 15:26

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

Why do you think it matters is the spirit he or she?
Why do you think the Bible gets that right when it gets so many other things wrong?

Goldemar

A queer sort

In my worldview, there are two spirits relevant to this discussion - the Angelic spirit of gnosis (knowledge), known in Mandaeism as Manda d-Hayyi, who is male, and Ruha, an evil spirit who plays a part in the creation of the material world, who is the 'Holy' Spirit of some other traditions and is sometimes referred to as the (so-called) 'Holy' Spirit in Mandaeism, who is female.

Muffled

Jesus in me

The real name is paraclete and has no gender but the representation of Jesus who is male combined either with female or male believer.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Fatima (a) is one instance of the holy Spirit. Sarah (a) another. The two Mariams (a) are also.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Originally, yes, holy spirit/Sophia/wisdom was female. At the time of goddess cults, it was acceptable but as times changed to more focus on male gods, it got changed.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
In my worldview, there are two spirits relevant to this discussion - the Angelic spirit of gnosis (knowledge), known in Mandaeism as Manda d-Hayyi, who is male, and Ruha, an evil spirit who plays a part in the creation of the material world, who is the 'Holy' Spirit of some other traditions and is sometimes referred to as the (so-called) 'Holy' Spirit in Mandaeism, who is female.
Does " my world view" mean you
just made it up yourself?

Goldemar

A queer sort
Does " my world view" mean you
just made it up yourself?

My worldview is indeed my own but is derived from various sources, one of which is Mandaeism, a Gnostic religion that dates back to the time of John the Baptist, and Ruha, a female evil spirit in Mandaeism, is sometimes referred to as the Holy Spirit in Mandaeism.

Why do you think the Bible gets that right when it gets so many other things wrong?

I don't believe you can prove it wrong in anything. If you think you can, please show one thing wrong in the Bible.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't believe you can prove it wrong in anything. If you think you can, please show one thing wrong in the Bible.

The "flood" is a biggie.

You figure every word is literally true and means exactly what you believe it means?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

Leviticus 11:13-19 calls a bat a bird.

Leviticus 11:20-23 calls insects four legged.

Revelation 8:10 states that stars will fall out of the sky.

Shall I go on?