1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Golden Dawn a religion? If so, what is it?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Neophyte, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Miranda Kerr Worship

Ratings:
    +9
    There is nothing wrong with labeling as long as one realizes people are still different. People use to label me as a Baptist (I did as well), this just gave people a general idea as to what I believed. It did not tell them everything I believed, since everyone believes differently to a point. Again, labels are not bad...miss-using them are. There is a difference.

2. Witch9

Witch9 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I prefer to use names. Labels carry too much baggage. And you are, of course, entitled to use whatever name/label/brand you want, as long as it is your choice. Of course, if you let someone else label you, giving them that permission is also your choice.

I have been known to say, "A pox on all your labels", but some people don't like refer
    ences to poxes, especially from Witches. Actually, some people don't like Witches, either, and mostly because of the baggage that they think that label carries.

Sometimes I think animals are the ones who are truly blessed, because they don't have language and all the crap that goes with it.

:bb:

"I yam wot I yam . . ."
    [youtube]Ox5mzTtYfK0[/youtube]
    Popeye

3. Mike182

Mike182 Flaming Queer

Ratings:
    +1,388
    A masonic or hermetic order would be the best name I can think of.

A question comes to mind though, does the Golden Dawn count as being revealed? Bearing in mind the role of the Secret Chiefs.

4. Jacksnyte

Jacksnyte Reverend

Ratings:
    +115
    Not really. The original documents mysteriously dissappeared, and it was later discovered that the woman they came from most likely never existed. It has been generally assumed that Mathers & Co. made up the whole thing.

5. alexsumner

alexsumner New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Golden Dawn is not a religion per se. It is the name of an order and a system of magic. Its members come from different religions - from paganism (of all traditions) to very liberal Christians. One of the things that new initiates are told is to respect all religions.

The GD uses the both the Qabalah and the gods / goddesses of Ancient Egypt as a sort of common vocabulary - each individual member is expected to contemplate the symbolism in terms of their own belief system.

The GD does not promise its adherents salvation, but rather attempts to enable its members to Know that which their own religions expect to be taken on faith alone.

6. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,265
    Religion:
    Christian
    I once asked a Jewish girl how she could do Tarot cards since it would appear her religion forbade it. She said "I am not Jewish; I am Rosicrucian"

7. Neophyte

Neophyte Miranda Kerr Worship

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for all the answers!