• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the GOD of Qur’an an evolutionist?

Niblo

Premium Member
In post 4 you claim that: ‘The common ancestor of humankind is a female’, and by way of justification, translate the first verse of sūrah Al-Nisa thus:

‘O Mankind ! Fear your LORD who created you from a single being (female) and created from her mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women…’.

Allow me to remind you that parentheses are not found in the Qur’an; that they are used by translators to clarify a text – or to express a personal opinion, or prejudice…in your case the word ‘female’.

Here is Professor M.A.S. Abdel Haleem’s translation:

‘People, be mindful of your Lord, who created you from a single soul (min nafsun wahida), and from it (min'hā) created its mate (zawjahā), and from the pair of them spread countless men and women far and wide; be mindful of God, in whose name you make requests of one another.’ (‘The Qur’an’ – my emphasis).

There are those who opine that the man (ʾĀdam) was created first, and that the woman (not named in the Qur’an, but now spoken of as Hawa’) was fashioned from one of his ribs. I think this opinion is incorrect; and here’s why:

In Al-Nisa 1, Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) is addressing everyone – men and women. Imagine, for a moment, that He is addressing ʾĀdam and Hawa’only, and at the same time. ʾĀdam understands that he was created from a single soul, and that from that same soul was created his wife. Hawa’ understands that she was created from a single soul, and that from that same soul was created her husband. In short, Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) is saying that both were created from the same substance; the same entity.

Haleem reminds us that the word ‘min'hā’ means: ‘From the same essence (and that) Razi convincingly reached this conclusion based on comparison with many instances when min anfusikum is used in the Qur’an’. (‘The Qur’an’).

As you say in your post, the term ‘nafs’, from which we get ‘nafsun’, is indeed feminine. According to context, ‘nafs’ can be rendered: a person; an individual; a soul; essence; matter; spirit; and also as a breath of life (cf: Abdul Rasheed Siddique’s ‘Qur’anic Key Words – a Reference Guide’).

What you omit to say is that ‘nafs’ – although feminine – can, and is, applied to both sexes: Here are some examples:

‘Say (Prophet), ‘God knows everything that is in your hearts, whether you conceal or reveal it; He knows everything in the heavens and earth; God has power over all things.’ On the Day when every soul (nafsin) finds all the good it has done present before it, it will wish all the bad it has done to be far, far away. God warns you to beware of Him, but God is compassionate towards His servants.’ (Al‘Imran: 29-30’ ‘The Qur’an’).

As you can see, in this example ‘nafsin’ refers to both men and women.

And this:

‘God does not burden any soul (nafsan) with more than it can bear: each gains whatever good it has done, and suffers its bad – ‘Lord, do not take us to task if we forget or make mistakes. Lord, do not burden us as You burdened those before us. Lord, do not burden us with more than we have strength to bear. Pardon us, forgive us, and have mercy on us. You are our Protector, so help us against the disbelievers.’ (Al-Baqara 286).

Yet again, in this example ‘nafsan’ refers to both men and women.

Finally:

‘When God says, ‘Jesus, son of Mary, did you say to people, “Take me and my mother as two gods alongside God”?’ he will say, ‘May You be exalted! I would never say what I had no right to say – if I had said such a thing You would have known it: You know all that is within me (nafsī), though I do not know what is within You (nafsika), You alone have full knowledge of things unseen (Al-Ma’ida 116).

In this example ‘nafs’ is applied to Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) – a man, of course; but also to Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla); who is neither male nor female.

As you know, the word ‘zawj’ – from which we get ‘zawjahā’ (rendered ‘mate’ in Haleem’s translation; and in yours) indicates a spouse; a pair; or a partner. Grammatically speaking it is masculine; nevertheless (like ‘nafs’) it is applied to both sexes. For example:

‘If a husband re-divorces his wife after the second divorce, she will not be lawful for him until she has taken another husband (zawjan); if that one divorces her, there will be no blame if she and the first husband return to one another, provided they feel that they can keep within the bounds set by God. These are God’s bounds, which He makes clear for those who know.’ (Al-Baqara 230).

And this:

‘If you wish to replace one wife (zawjin) with another, do not take any of her bride-gift back, even if you have given her a great amount of gold.’ (Al-Nisa 20).

According to Shaykh Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Al-Nisa 1:

‘Indicates a progression in human creation from singularity (a single soul, reflecting the singularity of God), to duality (its mate), to multiplicity (a multitude of men and women). The single soul is widely understood to refer to Adam, and its mate to Eve (Ḥawwāʾ). Although soul (nafs) is grammatically feminine and mate (zawj) is grammatically masculine, this does not necessarily make the correlation to Adam and Eve, respectively, problematic for most commentators. The interweaving of masculine and feminine references suggests a reciprocity of the masculine and feminine in human relations and marriage, which is also implied in other verses (cf. 2:187; 30:21).’ (‘The Study Qur’an’).

With the greatest respect - and an acknowledgement of your good intentions - I think you need to revisit your case.

gnostic

The Lost One
Evolution in Qur’an

I know it sounds bizarre , specially to my fellow Muslims who cultivate evolution is odd to the fundamental beliefs of Islam but I don’t get it , HOW ? As an honest reader of Qur’an, I see clearly that the Author of the Qur’an nurtured and propagated the theory of evolution. I will be still standing for the correction if someone can show me where and how evolution is against the doctrine of the Qur’an. Any of your compliments/complains are welcome (apart from taking me to the courtyard to behead my head).

A) First comes first, Did ever Qur’an mention that Adam is the first human in the earth ? Nowhere in Qur’an it was said so . The name Adam (آدم) was mentioned about 20 times in the whole book without citing that he was the first human. An expression related to Adam like ( Al-Insan Al-Awal/الإنسان الأول) may have nailed the whole issue but such expression is absent in Qur’an .

B) Now let us don these simple verses of Qur’an from chapter 56:

58- Do you see what you emit?

59- Is it you who create it or we the creators of it.

60- We have decreed among you the death and we are not to fail.

61- On that we change your forms/likenesses/shapes and produce you in what you do not know.

62- And certainly you knew the first creation so why not you take heed?

In the above set of verses ALLAH, the Almighty wants us to ponder upon our primitive way of creation and connected it to the change of our forms/shapes. Isn’t it the first pillar of evolution?

C) The following verse from chapter 6 is going to trigger also:

133-And your LORD is wealthy who is the Possessor of mercy. If HE wills HE can take you away and grant succession after you to whatever HE wills as HE evolved/raised you from the descendants of another/different tribe/species.

This verse straight away is saying that we have been changed or evolved from a group or species which was different from human. The Arabic word آخَرِينَ/Akhirin means a different kind/not of same kind. If human are the descendants of human then the veracity of this word is redundant. Therefore ‘Descendants of another tribe/ ذرية قوم اخرين/ thurriyyati qawmin akhareena’ must be other than human. Interestingly there is another word in the same verse which confirms the above to be correct. In Arabic language the relative pronoun’ ما/Ma’ is predominantly used to address other than human which is labeled in Arabic grammar as ‘Have no intelligence/ غَيْرُ عَقْل’ mainly hinting to the animal kingdom other than human . Though there are a lots of exceptions to that, for now we would stick only to its primal meaning and its applicability to the context of the verse. So what we got now from it - human are evolved from non-human species.

What species it could be? Is there any example for changing the forms of human body mention in the Qur’an? There have been two examples in Qur’an, I guess.

D) In verse 2:65, 5:60 and 7:166 the human transformation to apes is mentioned 3 times while 5:60 is talking about the pigs 1 time only. As I am not an expert in this science of evolution, the similarities of human and pig are farfetched for me to discuss (just heard that they have a lot of similarities and a common ancestor through primates ) . So, whatever the context is, the Author of the Qur’an at least shows pragmatism of transformation or evolution of forms between human and ape. The lexicons of Arabic language mentioned the word قرد/Qird to denote ape, monkey , baboon , chimpanzee in one basket , generally translates as ape . At least one candidate of evolution plausibly been found in Qur’an and that is ape.

Ruh

One of the things about with any scientific theory is that it explained in detail, WHAT it is and HOW does it work, and if possible, explain WHAT use or applications they may have, and HOW to achieve it.

These explanations may also include some mathematical equations or formulas or metrics, to assist with understanding the explanations.

No scriptures explain any of these (including the Qur’an and bible), not about biology, not geology, not astronomy, and there is certainly no maths involved.

The other things about science is being able to test these explanations, through observations and data gathering. Observations involved with finding evidence or with experiments in controlled environments like some labs, as well as obtaining data, eg quantities, measurements, comparisons between multiple evidence, etc.

The scriptures doesn’t do any of these testing, evidence gathering and data gathering.

All any religious literature, doctrine and dogma required from believers, are belief and blind faith: NO evidence are required.

EVIDENCE is a luxury that religions don’t require.

All that it is required are faith in books saying, what your clergies or priests are saying, what prophets/messengers/messiahs have been saying, what gods or angels have been saying - all without questions, without testing.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
One of the things about with any scientific theory is that it explained in detail, WHAT it is and HOW does it work, and if possible, explain WHAT use or applications they may have, and HOW to achieve it.

These explanations may also include some mathematical equations or formulas or metrics, to assist with understanding the explanations.

No scriptures explain any of these (including the Qur’an and bible), not about biology, not geology, not astronomy, and there is certainly no maths involved.

The other things about science is being able to test these explanations, through observations and data gathering. Observations involved with finding evidence or with experiments in controlled environments like some labs, as well as obtaining data, eg quantities, measurements, comparisons between multiple evidence, etc.

The scriptures doesn’t do any of these testing, evidence gathering and data gathering.

All any religious literature, doctrine and dogma required from believers, are belief and blind faith: NO evidence are required.

EVIDENCE is a luxury that religions don’t require.

All that it is required are faith in books saying, what your clergies or priests are saying, what prophets/messengers/messiahs have been saying, what gods or angels have been saying - all without questions, without testing.
" observations"

How much % the "observations" are correct, please?

Regards