• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the GOD of Qur’an an evolutionist?

Shad

Veteran Member
Well to raise or to grow are the synonyms of to evolve . Hence there is not mistake there if somebody translates it as evolve . Also one of meanings of أَنشَأَ as used in the verse is 'to evolve' . Other dictionaries says it means to elevate/rise from one position to another position which is the precise definition of evolution . Please see below for your ease of understanding :

Hans Wehr 4th ed., page 1131

View attachment 39400

Dictionary of the Holy Quran, page 563

View attachment 39401

I linked a website with multiple translations that do not use evolve. According to your own source you are picking evolve. You are picking the word that fits your claim nothing more. Try again

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran
The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Quran Dictionary

Well apes and pigs are very similar than any other mammals in many ways with human . We share so many commons featurs physically and DNA wise that astonish scientists . Leaving the apes aside as that is no question about arguments , pigs are used successfully for human body parts transplant in large . Again human and pigs share a common ancestors through primates - science has proved . So the reverse evolution from human to apes/pig may feel impractical now but with the more advances genetic engineering knowledge it may be possible in future . The ample proofs of tremendous similarities between us and them can make it possible , not at least can make it a matter of mocking .

Irrelevant babble which ignores what I said. We didn't evolve from pigs. Humans were transformed into into pigs and apes not from either in the verse. Try again.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Dear T.Monster , the Qur'an is just in front of you.

Just like it has been in front of all muslims since it inception.

Pick those verses and show me where did I go wrong

Perhaps it's a conversation you should be having with the many muslims, who actually believe the quran, who think you are wrong and who in fact don't accept evolution theory, because of what they read in the quran.

Be specific and precise to your point instead criticize me vaguely every time , does not prove me wrong , does it?

It all depends on how you choose to read it.
By branding parts as being literal or figurative/metaphorical/allegory, you can make it agree with anything.

This is why muslims didn't see it as being incompatible with a static universe before expansion was discovered.

See, this is the problem....
The quran is thus compatible with both. If that is the case, then you can't say things like "big bang was in the quran all along!".

If tomorrow big bang theory is falsified, then I bet you wouldn't suddenly think that the quran is in error on that point, right?

Same with evolution.
Muslims were fine with the creation story of islam both before and after evolution. And if tomorrow evolution is falsified, then islam will remain intact. Now, if islam would REALLY univocally and unambigously claim that evolution is how species form, then it WOULD be a problem if evolution is falsified.

But let's be honest: it's not unambiguous. It's not clear. It's not specified. And falsifying big bang theory or evolution, wouldn't even make a dent in islam whatsoever.

And because that is the case, it is utterly meaningless to claim that both are in the quran and pretend as if these theories are supportive evidence of the islamic narrative.

They are not, because falsifying them wouldn't change anything to islam.
I can't imagine a muslim apostating his religion because either of these theories turn out false after all.

I can however, easily imagine muslims that will see it as strengthening their faith. As many muslims are creationists who think modern biology is a bunch of anti-islamic woo.

Ruh

I linked a website with multiple translations that do not use evolve. According to your own source you are picking evolve. You are picking the word that fits your claim nothing more. Try again

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran
The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Quran Dictionary

You decided to oppose , there is nothing can make you to change that . I use ' Rich' and they use 'Wealthy' and according to you I am wrong though 'Rich' and 'Wealthy' are synonyms to each other . Try again .

Irrelevant babble which ignores what I said. We didn't evolve from pigs. Humans were transformed into into pigs and apes not from either in the verse. Try again.

Neither Qur'an or I said so . The instances ( 3xapes , 1xpigs) of transformation of human forms prove that Qur'an approves evolution in principle . The other verses where Qur'an confirms that human evolved from non-human species are inline with those proposals . That is the whole point . Thanks 'Mr. Try Again' .

Ruh

Just like it has been in front of all muslims since it inception.

Perhaps it's a conversation you should be having with the many muslims, who actually believe the quran, who think you are wrong and who in fact don't accept evolution theory, because of what they read in the quran.

It all depends on how you choose to read it.
By branding parts as being literal or figurative/metaphorical/allegory, you can make it agree with anything.

This is why muslims didn't see it as being incompatible with a static universe before expansion was discovered.

See, this is the problem....
The quran is thus compatible with both. If that is the case, then you can't say things like "big bang was in the quran all along!".

If tomorrow big bang theory is falsified, then I bet you wouldn't suddenly think that the quran is in error on that point, right?

Same with evolution.
Muslims were fine with the creation story of islam both before and after evolution. And if tomorrow evolution is falsified, then islam will remain intact. Now, if islam would REALLY univocally and unambigously claim that evolution is how species form, then it WOULD be a problem if evolution is falsified.

But let's be honest: it's not unambiguous. It's not clear. It's not specified. And falsifying big bang theory or evolution, wouldn't even make a dent in islam whatsoever.

And because that is the case, it is utterly meaningless to claim that both are in the quran and pretend as if these theories are supportive evidence of the islamic narrative.

They are not, because falsifying them wouldn't change anything to islam.
I can't imagine a muslim apostating his religion because either of these theories turn out false after all.

I can however, easily imagine muslims that will see it as strengthening their faith. As many muslims are creationists who think modern biology is a bunch of anti-islamic woo.

Your most thinking is encircling about how Muslims think and interpret the Qur'an . But my point is Qur'an is with us in its original Language Arabic for 1400 years . You can not change it to suit the changes of sciences and knowledge at your disposal . Hence your argument is holding no ground against Qur'an . For example , the Qur'an says the universe is expanding . You can not change this verse if somehow it may going to turn the opposite that the universe is not expanding . You can not find a SINGLE verse in Qur'an which opposes the science .

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Your most thinking is encircling about how Muslims think and interpret the Qur'an

Yes, and how many interpret that book in many different ways.
They read the same book you do and also claim it supports their views, in opposition to yours.

So yes, it factually is the case that people can read different things into such lore - and all be equally convinced of it. So convinced in fact that... well... you know.

But my point is Qur'an is with us in its original Language Arabic for 1400 years . You can not change it to suit the changes of sciences and knowledge at your disposal

Well, clearly one doesn't need to alter the text to draw different conclusions and understanding from it either.
No matter if it has changed the past 1400 years or not... the book that muslims read today is the same everywhere. And yet people come to different conclusions.

And as I said, if big bang theory or evolution theory, or I'ld dare say: any current scientific theory is falsified tomorrow, it won't be shattering any muslim's faith.

Hence your argument is holding no ground against Qur'an

I'm not arguing against the quran.
I'm arguing against your claim that theories like evolution and big bang validate the quran because according to your post hoc interpretation , these things are mentioned in the book.

For example , the Qur'an says the universe is expanding

And yet, this was only noticed after science said the universe is expanding.
When science thought the universe was static, there weren't any muslims waving the quran saying science was wrong. Why is that?

Today, there are quite a few muslims waving their quran at science, claiming the science of evolution is wrong though. Ironic, isn't it?

You can not change this verse if somehow it may going to turn the opposite that the universe is not expanding .

But you can certaintly change the interpretation thereof.

You can not find a SINGLE verse in Qur'an which opposes the science .

I already gave you one wich you dismissed with some elaborate creative interpretation (the semen thing).
It's only one example of many.

But it's actually of no real relevancy to the point I'm making.

Muslims were fine with a static universe and they are fine with an expanding one.
Muslims were fine with created species and they are fine with evolving ones.
Many muslims however, really aren't fine with evolving ones - but I'm sure you are aware of that.

Again, I'm not denying that you can find ways to marry modern science with your quran without altering actual text. Catholics do the same with their bible.

Post hoc rationalisation is rather common among those who accept science and also want to accept their religious scripture.

Ruh

Yes, and how many interpret that book in many different ways.
They read the same book you do and also claim it supports their views, in opposition to yours.

So yes, it factually is the case that people can read different things into such lore - and all be equally convinced of it. So convinced in fact that... well... you know.

Well, clearly one doesn't need to alter the text to draw different conclusions and understanding from it either.
No matter if it has changed the past 1400 years or not... the book that muslims read today is the same everywhere. And yet people come to different conclusions.

And as I said, if big bang theory or evolution theory, or I'ld dare say: any current scientific theory is falsified tomorrow, it won't be shattering any muslim's faith.

I'm not arguing against the quran.
I'm arguing against your claim that theories like evolution and big bang validate the quran because according to your post hoc interpretation , these things are mentioned in the book.

And yet, this was only noticed after science said the universe is expanding.
When science thought the universe was static, there weren't any muslims waving the quran saying science was wrong. Why is that?

Today, there are quite a few muslims waving their quran at science, claiming the science of evolution is wrong though. Ironic, isn't it?

But you can certaintly change the interpretation thereof.

I already gave you one wich you dismissed with some elaborate creative interpretation (the semen thing).
It's only one example of many.

But it's actually of no real relevancy to the point I'm making.

Muslims were fine with a static universe and they are fine with an expanding one.
Muslims were fine with created species and they are fine with evolving ones.
Many muslims however, really aren't fine with evolving ones - but I'm sure you are aware of that.

Again, I'm not denying that you can find ways to marry modern science with your quran without altering actual text. Catholics do the same with their bible.

Post hoc rationalisation is rather common among those who accept science and also want to accept their religious scripture.
Again , you can not make 2+2=7 , doesn't matter how much you try . If Qur'an is wrong , it has to be wrong , nobody can save it .

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Again , you can not make 2+2=7 , doesn't matter how much you try . If Qur'an is wrong , it has to be wrong , nobody can save it .

Why didn't nobody notice it was wrong according to science before the expanding universe and evolution were discovered?

And why do so many muslims today still believe creationism over evolution, based only on their quran?

I'm guessing because it isn't so that the default literal reading of the text implies evolution.

Again, if it's compatible with both, then neither being true is special evidence for it.

When evolution is right, the quran is right.
When evolution is wrong, the quran is right.

It's a situation of "heads I win, tails you lose".

Ruh

Why didn't nobody notice it was wrong according to science before the expanding universe and evolution were discovered?

And why do so many muslims today still believe creationism over evolution, based only on their quran?

I'm guessing because it isn't so that the default literal reading of the text implies evolution.

Again, if it's compatible with both, then neither being true is special evidence for it.

When evolution is right, the quran is right.
When evolution is wrong, the quran is right.

It's a situation of "heads I win, tails you lose".

From the other end :
Qur'an says," 2+2=4 ."
T.Monster says," wrong Qur'an can not say that because Qur'an is always wrong . Muslim interpret 2+2=4."
:D:D:D

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
From the other end :
Qur'an says," 2+2=4 ."
T.Monster says," wrong Qur'an can not say that because Qur'an is always wrong . Muslim interpret 2+2=4."
:D:D:D

The problem is that the quran says nothing anywhere that specific.
Furthermore I didn't say anything about the quran being wrong OR right. I'm sure that, just like the bible and all other scriptures, it will be wrong about certain things and wrong about other things and vague and ambigous about even other things still etc.

As I already said, that's not at all what my argument is about.
But you seem hellbend on not addressing the points I'm actually raising, so yeah...

You haven't addressed a single point I raised.

Shad

Veteran Member
You decided to oppose , there is nothing can make you to change that . I use ' Rich' and they use 'Wealthy' and according to you I am wrong though 'Rich' and 'Wealthy' are synonyms to each other .

Evolve is not synonymous with produce son. Next time you try to make a point about words being synonymous you should actually look up the words being discussed. Try again.

Synonyms of produce | Thesaurus.com

Neither Qur'an or I said so . The instances ( 3xapes , 1xpigs) of transformation of human forms prove that Qur'an approves evolution in principle .

Nope. It is you picking the translation. I provided other translations which do not use evolve. You are picking the translation to fit your conclusion. Nothing more.

The other verses where Qur'an confirms that human evolved from non-human species are inline with those proposals . That is the whole point . Thanks 'Mr. Try Again' .

Nope. You have ignored what the verse said and made up what you wanted to see. You never refuted any of my points. You just reasserted your refuted claim. Turning into apes and pigs is not evolution. It is God magic. Try again son.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member

You are just asserting your view is correct. I can do that too son. The quran is like 1+4=10. Hur dur. Try again son.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hh how cute. Have you figured out evolve and produce are not synonymous yet? Get that Thesaurus yet?
"Rabb (Arabic: رب‎, Turkish: Rab, Bengali: রব্ব, Hindi: रब, Persian: پروردگار‎, Punjabi: ਰੱਬ (Gurmukhi); رب (Shahmukhi)) is an Arabic word meaning Lord, Sustainer, Cherisher, Master, Nourisher. In Islam, Ar-Rabb is often used to refer to Allah, the most Supreme Being. In Quran (the word of God), Allah refers to Himself as Rabb in several places. When it is used with the definite article 'Ar' (Ar-Rabb) the Arabic word refers to Allah. In other cases, context makes it clear as to whom the word is referring to. For example, Rabb Ad-Dar means the master of the house. Rabb is also a common and acceptable first and/or last name throughout the world.
The literal meaning of the word is Sustainer, Master and/or "Nourisher", and in that sense, a man is the "rabb" of his house. With the same root is the verb yurabbi, meaning "raise" (as in raise a child). Rabb also means "the Creator", as it is referred to in the Quran several times as "رب العالمين". However, Rabb covers such a wide meaning that other languages lack an equivalent of the word.[citation needed] Some have explained it to mean a fostering things in such a manner as to make them attain one condition after another until they reach their goal of completion. Thus, it conveys not only the idea of fostering, bringing up or nourishing, but also that of regulating, completing, accomplishing, cherishing, sustaining and bringing to maturity by evolution from the earliest state to that of the highest perfection. The Quran, in Surah Fatihah, introduces this name in the beginning, "All praise and gratitude is due to Allah, Rabb of all the worlds." Note that it mentions "Rabb of all the worlds", thus stating clearly that he takes care, nourishes, fosters through every stage of existence, everything that exists.
Rabb - Wikipedia
The very first chapter of Quran mentions:
Arabic
ir
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Transliteration
ir
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
Transliteration-2 bis'mi l-lahi l-raḥmāni l-raḥīmi
Literal
(Word by Word) In (the) name (of) Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Arabic
ir
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
Transliteration
ir
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi alAAalameena
Transliteration-2 al-ḥamdu lillahi rabbi* l-ʿālamīna
Literal
(Word by Word) All praises and thanks (be) to Allah, the Lord* of the universe
al-Fatihah 1:2
* Allah- who has evolved the Universe and life in it.
Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is the GOD of Qur’an an evolutionist?

"Thus, it conveys not only the idea of fostering, bringing up or nourishing, but also that of regulating, completing, accomplishing, cherishing, sustaining and bringing to maturity by evolution from the earliest state to that of the highest perfection. The Quran, in Surah Fatihah, introduces this name in the beginning, "All praise and gratitude is due to Allah, Rabb of all the worlds." Note that it mentions "Rabb of all the worlds", thus stating clearly that he takes care, nourishes, fosters through every stage of existence, everything that exists."
Rabb - Wikipedia

So, with the natural word "Rabb" one of the most highlighted attribute of Allah/G-d, the truthful Quran mentions "evolution" in the very first chapter of truthful Quran ( post #56 above) as also in the last chapter of Quran:

[114:1] بِسۡمِ اللّٰہِ الرَّحۡمٰنِ الرَّحِیۡمِ﴿۱﴾
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[114:2] قُلۡ اَعُوۡذُ بِرَبِّ النَّاسِ ۙ﴿۲﴾
Say, ‘I seek refuge in the Lord* of mankind,
[114:3] مَلِکِ النَّاسِ ۙ﴿۳﴾
‘The King of mankind,
[114:4] اِلٰہِ النَّاسِ ۙ﴿۴﴾
‘The God of mankind,
[114:5] مِنۡ شَرِّ الۡوَسۡوَاسِ ۬ۙ الۡخَنَّاسِ ۪ۙ﴿۵﴾
‘From the evil of the sneaking whisperer,
[114:6] الَّذِیۡ یُوَسۡوِسُ فِیۡ صُدُوۡرِ النَّاسِ ۙ﴿۶﴾
‘Who whispers into the hearts of men,
[114:7] مِنَ الۡجِنَّۃِ وَ النَّاسِ ٪﴿۷﴾
‘From among the Jinn and mankind.’
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 114: An-Nas
* Rabb

Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
"Rabb (Arabic: رب‎, Turkish: Rab, Bengali: রব্ব, Hindi: रब, Persian: پروردگار‎, Punjabi: ਰੱਬ (Gurmukhi); رب (Shahmukhi)) is an Arabic word meaning Lord, Sustainer, Cherisher, Master, Nourisher. In Islam, Ar-Rabb is often used to refer to Allah, the most Supreme Being. In Quran (the word of God), Allah refers to Himself as Rabb in several places. When it is used with the definite article 'Ar' (Ar-Rabb) the Arabic word refers to Allah. In other cases, context makes it clear as to whom the word is referring to. For example, Rabb Ad-Dar means the master of the house. Rabb is also a common and acceptable first and/or last name throughout the world.
The literal meaning of the word is Sustainer, Master and/or "Nourisher", and in that sense, a man is the "rabb" of his house. With the same root is the verb yurabbi, meaning "raise" (as in raise a child). Rabb also means "the Creator", as it is referred to in the Quran several times as "رب العالمين". However, Rabb covers such a wide meaning that other languages lack an equivalent of the word.[citation needed] Some have explained it to mean a fostering things in such a manner as to make them attain one condition after another until they reach their goal of completion. Thus, it conveys not only the idea of fostering, bringing up or nourishing, but also that of regulating, completing, accomplishing, cherishing, sustaining and bringing to maturity by evolution from the earliest state to that of the highest perfection. The Quran, in Surah Fatihah, introduces this name in the beginning, "All praise and gratitude is due to Allah, Rabb of all the worlds." Note that it mentions "Rabb of all the worlds", thus stating clearly that he takes care, nourishes, fosters through every stage of existence, everything that exists.
Rabb - Wikipedia
The very first chapter of Quran mentions:
Arabic
ir
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Transliteration
ir
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
Transliteration-2 bis'mi l-lahi l-raḥmāni l-raḥīmi
Literal
(Word by Word) In (the) name (of) Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Arabic
ir
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
Transliteration
ir
Alhamdu lillahi rabbi alAAalameena
Transliteration-2 al-ḥamdu lillahi rabbi* l-ʿālamīna
Literal
(Word by Word) All praises and thanks (be) to Allah, the Lord* of the universe
al-Fatihah 1:2
* Allah- who has evolved the Universe and life in it.
Right, please?

Regards

You are just picking the word you want to fit your conclusion, nothing more. I already linked a source with close to a dozen translations. None use evolve(d). You ignore my point that evolved and producted are not synonymous.

None of the words in your quote means evolved

Niblo

Premium Member
@Ruh

As-Salāmu ‘alaykum.

You claim that the Qu’ran supports the notion that humans: ‘…..evolved gradually from a non-human race’; and by way of justification, you translate sūrah Al-An‘am 133 thus (my emphasis):

‘And your LORD is wealthy who is the Possessor of mercy. If HE wills HE can take you away and grant succession after you to whatever HE wills as HE evolved/raised you from the descendants of another/different tribe/species’.

Seventeen English translations of this verse are available on a site called ‘Tanzil Navigator’. In addition, I possess two more: Professor M.A.S. Abdel Haleem’s – in his ‘The Qur’an’; and Shaykh Seyyed Hossein Nasr’s – in his ‘The Study Qur’an’. None of these translations use ‘evolved’ or ‘species’. That, of itself, does not make your translation incorrect (or inappropriate). However, it certainly increases the possibility (probability, one might say) that it is. Why should yours be the one to trust?

Here is Al-An‘am 133, as translated by Professor Haleem (my emphasis):

‘Your Lord is self-sufficient and full of mercy. If He pleased, He could remove you and put others in your place, just as He produced you from the offspring of other people.’ (‘The Qur’an’).

Shaykh Nasr renders verse 133 thus (again, my emphasis):

‘Thy Lord is Self-Sufficient, Possessed of Mercy. If He will, He can remove you, and in your place appoint whomsoever He will to succeed you, just as He brought you into being from the progeny of another people.’

No doubt you will have watched a soccer or rugby match; and you will know that any player can be removed from the field – by the authority of his coach – and replaced with another. In effect, Al-An‘am 133 is describing this process – except that the field is now existence itself; the players are now the human race; and the coach is now the Almighty (as some believe they are). Each one us is the offspring of another; and so on through many generations. Where in Al-An‘am 133 does it say – or even imply – that the first of our ancestors were other than human?

Shaykh Nasr writes:

‘God is the “Necessary Being” (wājib al-wujūd), and in relation to Him all else represents “contingent being” (mumkin al-wujūd) and therefore has no existence of its own. In this sense, all being and reality can be said to belong ultimately to God, as the Quran repeatedly asserts, unto Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and on the earth (e.g., 2:116, 255; 4:171).

‘In the present verse, human existential dependence on God and God’s independence of human beings are conveyed in the reminder that if God wills, He can remove you, that is, from earthly life or existence altogether and appoint others to succeed you. See 11:57, where the Arabian prophet Hūd warns his people that if they do not heed the message he brings, God will cause them to be succeeded by a people other than themselves; and 4:133, where it is said that if God wills, He can remove you altogether . . . and bring others (in your stead).’ (‘The Study Qur’an’).

You also reference the following verses:

‘It was We who created you: will you not believe? Consider (the semen) you eject – do you create it yourselves or are We the Creator? We ordained death to be among you. Nothing could stop Us if We intended to change you and recreate you in a way unknown to you. You have learned how you were first created: will you not reflect? Consider the seeds you sow in the ground – is it you who make them grow or We? If We wished, We could turn your harvest into chaff and leave you to wail, ‘We are burdened with debt; we are bereft.’ Consider the water you drink was it you who brought it down from the rain-cloud or We? If We wanted, We could make it bitter: will you not be thankful? Consider the fire you kindle – is you who make the wood for it grow or We? We made it a reminder, and useful to those who kindle it, so (Prophet) glorify the name of your Lord, the Supreme.’ (Al-Waqi‘a: 57-74 – ‘The Qur’an’).

You render Al-Waqi‘a 61 (my emphasis): ‘Or that we change your forms/likenesses/shapes and produce you in what you do not know.’; and then write: ‘In the above set of verses ALLAH, the Almighty wants us to ponder upon our primitive way of creation and connected it to the change of our forms/shapes. Isn’t it the first pillar of evolution?’

Your translation is misleading. Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) says (my emphasis): ‘Nothing could stop Us if We intended (nashāu) to change you and recreate you in a way unknown to you.’ (‘The Qur’an’).

As you know, sūrah ‘Al-Waqi‘a’ (‘That Which is Coming’) refers to the Day of Judgement. It begins: ‘When that which is coming arrives, no one will be able to deny it has come, bringing low and raising high.’

The sūrah reveals how on that Day people shall be divided into the humiliated and the richly rewarded.

Verse 61 does not speak of the past, but of the future. Once the context of the sūrah is understood, the message of this verse becomes clear: The Exalted is not asking us to ‘ponder upon our primitive way of creation’ but to consider that which may happen, according to His will (nashāu).

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) does indeed cause things – all things – to change. No doubt about that. The Qur’an says: ‘He is God: the Creator, the Originator, the Shaper (al-Muṣawwir). The best names belong to Him. Everything in the heavens and earth glorifies Him: He is the Almighty, the Wise.’ (Al-Hashr 24; my emphasis).

However, evidence for the notion that humans are the latest link in a chain that began with some form of eukarya is not supported by the Qur’an. To claim otherwise is merely eisegesis – the process of interpreting a text in such a way as to introduce one's own presuppositions, agendas or biases into it.

Here’s a striking example of this process, courtesy of a Dr Inam Khokhar. In his book ‘Allah’s Creative ‘Noor’ and Evolution’ Dr. Khokhar presents two verses, which I now reproduce, exactly as presented:

First:

‘And when I have proportioned him and breathed into him of My (created) soul, then fall down to him in prostration.’ (Al-Hijr: 28-29).

You will know – of course – that parentheses are not found in the Qur’an itself. They exist only in translations, and serve as clarifications of the text – or as expressions of the translator’s personal opinion, or prejudice. The word ‘created’ in Dr. Khokhar’s translation is an example.

Here is Professor Haleem’s translation: ‘When I have fashioned him and breathed My spirit (rūḥī) into him, bow down before him.’ (’The Quran’). The words ‘breathed My spirit’ are a metaphor for the act of giving life to that which is inanimate.

Next:

‘Then He fashioned him and transferred into him from His Commandments; and made for you hearing and sight and hearts. Small thanks give you! (Al-Sajda 9).

And here is Professor Haleem’s (more accurate) translation: ‘Then He moulded him; He breathed from His Spirit (rūḥihi) into him; He gave you hearing, sight, and minds. How seldom you are grateful!’

I invite you to contemplate Dr Khokhar’s translations very carefully; and then ask yourself – in the name of integrity and honesty – why should anyone agree with him when he writes:

‘An overall review of the above verses provides the following information: The physical body of human beings evolved as a result of biological process starting from some species that came into existence from mixture of clay and water (and that) at a later stage this special species evolved into human like animals (and that) from these human like animals Allah (swt) picked up Adam.’ (‘Allah’s Creative ‘Noor’ and Evolution’).

Continued:

Last edited:

Niblo

Premium Member
You reference the following verses:

‘You know about those of you who broke the Sabbath, and so We said to them, “Be like apes! Be outcasts!”’ (Al-Baqara: 65).

‘When, in their arrogance, they persisted in doing what they had been forbidden to do, We said to them, “Be like apes! Be outcasts!”’ (Al-A‘raf: 166).

‘Say, “Shall I tell you who deserves a worse punishment from God than (the one you wish upon) us? Those God distanced from Himself, was angry with, and condemned as apes and pigs, and those who worship idols: they are worse in rank and have strayed further from the right path.’ (Al-Ma’ida 60).

Professor Haleem writes – of the words ‘Be like apes!’:

This is understood by some as ‘physically turn into apes’ but in fact it is a figure of speech the structure ‘be apes’ is like ‘be stones/iron’ in 17: 50. Just as the Qur’an describes the disbelievers as blind, deaf, and dumb, here the transgressors are apes.’ (‘The Qur’an).

Shaykh Nasr opines that references to ‘pigs and apes’ are not to be taken literally; rather they are a: ‘metaphor for the state – in either this world or the next – of those who deliberately violate religious Law.’ They can also be understood as a reference to ‘God changing their hearts, hardening them and making them prone to heedlessness’

He goes on:

‘Al-Qurṭubī interprets it as being akin to the command of 17:50, which literally reads Be you of stone, or of iron, making it rhetorical. One can read this as, “As you wish then, be apes, as you have chosen to be.” Mujāhid says, “Their hearts were transformed, but they did not transform into apes,” comparing it to the donkey carrying books of 62:5.

‘Be you apes, outcast is understood by many commentators to mean that they were physically transformed into apes, since the Divine imperative here may be taken to be a command that brings the named thing into being. But some reject this literal reading and suggest, rather, that the hearts of the Sabbath violators were transformed to be like those of apes, but not their physical form; on this statement, see 2:65c.

‘The Divine imperative Be you apes, outcast may also indicate that God is leaving them to indulge their baser instincts, which can lead only to their humiliation and their being outcast in their community. The latter seems consistent with the Biblical statement that one who works on the Sabbath shall be “cut off from among the people” (Exodus 31:14).’ (‘The Study Qur’an’).

Even if Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) did indeed transform these transgressors into apes and pigs, that does not mean that humans evolved from these creatures. I lack competence in a great many things; anthropology being one of them. However, my understanding is that apes and humans (and pigs) are said to have evolved from one common ancestor – and humans not from either. In short, we are neither the offspring of Cheeta the Chimp, nor of Peppa Pig.

Continued:

Last edited: