1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the following atheist tactic good sportsmanship or not?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Skwim, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +4,099
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    For my purposes here, absolutism = dismissing either theology or reason as unworthy of serious attention. Fundigelicals have engaged in that for a loooong time. So have atheists. It's a stance that's rooted in both classical and modern thought. We've moved beyond it to the point where such a stance has become a stumbling block to social progress.

Questioning and inquiry are very good things, so long as all disciplines are given their due.

2. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,099
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Yeah, I do, and I think you're wrong. I think some serious reimagining of the myth is in order, but I think theology is invaluable to an accurate understanding of reality as we now know it thanks to science.

3. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,099
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Thanks for that. I'm speaking of facets of understanding that employ the most reasonable use of our disciplines -- there are facets that, when not using a cross-disciplinary method, can get out on a dangerous limb.

Let me look at the pics again.

4. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,099
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    The first pic represents irresponsible overgeneralization of several unrelated topics.
    The second I agree with.
    The third I find inane but harmless.

5. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Ratings:
    +98
    Science has turned up nothing on theology however, I can't help wondering why not...

6. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,546
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    The first two ads both suggest that serious attention should be given to religion. The third ad doesn't, but I'm not sure how you can assume that it's a dismissal of theology and not a conclusion after the serious attention you describe.

And what is theology "due"?

They're unrelated in subject matter, but they share the characteristic that people tend to place them beyond the realm of rational examination and criticism.

Actually, that's the whole point of the ad: it's saying that all claims, regardless of their source, should be examined.

7. Acim

Acim Revelation all the time

Ratings:
    +686
    I don't even acknowledge there is a quote that I've included in this post.

In fact, I lack a belief that I've included a quote anywhere in this post.

"the atheist movement"

8. Acim

Ratings:
    +686
    Because it precludes it from explanation?

Do you also wonder why some (or any) scientists are theists?

9. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Ratings:
    +98
    Theists are the one that claim it is untestable. Usually to protect it from being refuted so they can solidify their belief in it. The problem I find is that if someone randomly decided to do that with something other than religion, they would be seen as crazy or a liar. So what exempts religion from such scrutiny since it claims that interaction occurs in the physical?

I'm honestly confused by this.

10. fantome profane

fantome profane Have you read the Whistleblower complaint?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,865
    Thank you. I accept your point, the topics do seem rather random and unrelated and perhaps the inclusion of some of them is a bit inflammatory. But still I do believe that the idea “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” applies to all of the listed topics. And more to the point this is a call for a reasoned approach, which is unless I misunderstood exactly what you were calling for.

This of course is just me throwing the picture in the quote together. But this is the kind of direction I think these kind of atheist groups should go.

This interestingly enough comes from the United Church of Canada.

The point however is that it is so very easy to be offended, it usually requires very little effort or thought. I think you can choose to interpret these kind of ads in a negative way, or you can choose to interpret them in a positive way. The ad in the op for instance, “you know it’s a myth”. You could respond to that by saying of course it is a myth, now let’s employ reason and intellect to consider the significance of that myth, the symbolism, the power of that myth. You could have chosen to talk about what this myth means to Christians, and what it could mean to atheists. And that could have been a really interesting conversation. But if you choose just to complain about how offensive this ad is, that is such a tragic waste. If you really want to have an reasoned discussion you may have to meet ideas like this half way.

#190 fantome profane, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  11. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Ratings:
    +98
    I'm fairly sure that the response you said they should have had is the one these people WANTED them to have, but I think they forget that it's so very easy to offend someone who holds so closely to something.

12. fantome profane

fantome profane Have you read the Whistleblower complaint?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,865
    Yes it is true that modern scientific methodology has had a radical impact on how we understand the world. But it has not change the fact that we are a story telling species. Telling stories is still an important way for us to understand the world and ourselves. We even tell stories to help us understand scientific concepts.

I agree with sojourner here. Myth is not something we should casually dismiss. If anything we should be studying in more intensely, perhaps even employing some of that methodology you are talking about.

13. Madhuri

Madhuri RF Goddess
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,186
    Religion:
    Bhagavad Gita - SD
    I think it's fair enough. Though I'd prefer to live without propaganda of any variety.

14. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Ratings:
    +98
    Hmm, that did not occur to me. Myth is very useful to teach a young mind, but at some point it needs to be broken to them. Humans have the capacity to handle some surprising information.

Maybe I just have too much faith in humanity.

15. Acim

Ratings:
    +686
    Not the only one. (All) those that subscribe to methodological naturalism are saying this.

And I am type of theist that does not think all of what theology practices, studies, believes is not testable.

Please provide example of the confusion you are honestly experiencing.

16. crocusj

crocusj Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Someone who argues in order to put someone else down is a bully and their beliefs have nothing to do with that. Seems to me that differences between different religions or even different sects of the same religion tend to be much more aggressive than most atheists. Also, I don't see why atheists should not be forceful in their arguments against religion (as opposed to against a god specifically) if religions take what atheists see as an invasive position in society that is greater than they might deserve, though atheists should not be alone in this outlook.

17. Me Myself

Me Myself Back to my username

Ratings:
    +961

The problem with all these ads is that they are not either:

a) making me laugh

b) making me think

There is also the abundance of facepalming to consider in both cases.

I mean if we are already spending a lot of money to attack each others belief can we at least make it....fun? (or at least non-retarded)

18. Oneatatime

Oneatatime Huh?

Ratings:
    +43
    That billboard seems fine to me.

We shouldn't be ring-fencing religious mythology from reality just because some parents want to brainwash their children into believing that fiction is fact. What that women really meant was that it wasn't good for Christianity if children are encouraged to consider alternatives to the Christian account of history and reality in general.

19. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,333
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Not sure why anyone would dislike the billboard. It is refreshing and well-designed IMO.

20. AmbiguousGuy

AmbiguousGuy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Judging from the length of this thread, I'd say the billboard had the opposite effect.