• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the deist God most logical?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

Deism teaches that God made the universe and its natural laws but do not interfere with his creations. It is the belief in the existence of a god knowable through human reason

Any thoughts?

Starlight

Logical to whom? Are we suggesting that the God of deism is objectively evident? If not, then it would stand to reason that it's not the most objectively logical.
Logical to humans

Why do you believe deism is not the most objectively logical? I am just curious :blush:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Deism teaches that God made the universe and its natural laws but do not interfere with his creations. It is the belief in the existence of a god knowable through human reason

Any thoughts?
It may be seen as more logical than most ontological model because the deist God is more untouchable.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Logical to humans

Why do you believe deism is not the most objectively logical? I am just curious :blush:

I alluded to this in my previous post. If there is no objective evidence of the existence of a god, the God of Deism or any other god, then it stands to reason that it's not the most objectively logical.

Starlight

Do you think so?

I believe God interfere with us. That God sends angels and holy souls to help humans. And that God speaks to our souls

But I think a deist God is very logical for it seems sometimes that God does not interfere with his creations. It seems that we humans have been given free will by God and that God choose to not interfere with us in this life. It is logical because of all the evils in this world. And that our only help from God in this life is our human reason

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
Not the most logical to me upon deeper thought. It is the most compatible understanding with the philosophy of Materialism.

For many reasons, I have come to believe Consciousness is fundamental and it is interpenetrating and experiencing the universe.

Viker

Häxan

Any thoughts?
Makes more sense than an involved all loving and benevolent god who would be all powerful as well.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Any thoughts?
It's human imagination.

I prefer direct real observation.

PureX

Veteran Member

Any thoughts?
Sounds like empirical materialism dressed up as theism, to me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Any thoughts?

It would explain a lot of why a god is so absent. "Ok, done that, now i can spend the rest of eternity twiddling my thumbs"

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
I don't think it is more logical than believing that God does interact with His creation. I would hold the second more logical because to create something out of love and then not love the creation... not logical IMV

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Here is what makes Deism tempting.

1. Most people believe something made the Universe. Whether that is God or not is still up for debate, but, still, most people believe in something larger than the Universe.

2. There is no definitive evidence for the supernatural, other than what some books in the distant past say about it.

I consider myself a syntheist, not just a panendeist, because when I answer this question on the Select Smart religion personal quiz,

upload_2023-2-25_16-11-36.png

I answer it with this.

upload_2023-2-25_16-12-22.png

The way I understand God is that there's two parts. Ultimate nature takes care of ubiquity, eternalness and potency, but humans cover the other parts, i.e. wisdom and generosity. Therefore, I feel like God is both this impersonal deist reality God that people cannot fully understand yet, chiefly, The Omniverse, AND, as I interact with people, this God is also a part of me and who I am.

The ultimate nature part is panendeism, but the personal God part is syntheism. Even though I do believe that ultimate nature is distant for us, the fact that I can talk to people infinitely more intelligent than me about a variety of subjects, so much so that we've developed regenerative AI as a result, shows to me that while there is an overarching panendeism, the interactions we have with each other prove to me that syntheism, and not just panendeism, is a very real thing in everyday human life.

Are humans infinitely wise and generous? No, of course not. But with our intelligence we have the capability to be so, unlike any other animal in the animal kingdom. That's important to me.

Audie

Veteran Member

Any thoughts?

What does logic have to do with religion

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on one's frame of reference.

As a polytheist/pantheist/animist, deism directly contradicts my day-to-day experiences, so it's acres away from logical land. But who cares? There's plenty of other land out there.

Yazata

I'd say 'yes'. (It's my opinion and other people's mileage might vary.)

Basically I'm an agnostic regarding the biggest metaphysical questions, but I find myself drifting away from atheism towards what might be called deism. (My path is similar to Anthony Flew's I guess. (At one time he was the atheist's atheist, but he ended up as what he called a deist.) I have a very strong intuition of the mystery of being, but I don't possess any of the big picture answers (and doubt that I ever will.) It's why I majored in philosophy at university and probably a big part of why I started participating on Religiousforums, I guess.

Deism teaches that God made the universe and its natural laws but do not interfere with his creations.

Sort of. I think that historically, deism was a term applied to all sorts of religious free-thinking in a 17th and 18th century Christian context. What it all had in common seems to be skepticism regarding revealed theology but continued interest in some version of natural theology. So deists in this sense are those who are unmoved by purported revelations (whether Biblical, Islamic, Bahai, or Vedic) but who still take the big metaphysical questions very seriously --- the explanation for the existence of existence (why is there something rather than nothing?), the source of the fundamental order that reality displays (if not biological design these days, then the deeper origin of logic, mathematics and the laws of physics?)

It is the belief in the existence of a god knowable through human reason

Yes, that's it. And simply as such, I think that it's easily the more intellectually defensible approach to theistic-style religion.

(And for those who insist that there is no evidence, to the deist reality itself is the evidence that cries out for explanation.)

Any thoughts?

I guess my feeling is that this kind approach reduces religion to metaphysics (in the academic philosophical sense). If we think of the divine as whatever answers a set of ultimate metaphysical questions, that reduces God to whatever fulfills a set of metaphysical functions. It leaves the question unanswered of why such an ultimate explanation should be worshipped or be the object of religious emotions. So this kind of approach to religion might leave a lot of human emotional needs unanswered. It's very austere religiosity for intellectuals, not something to fulfill the needs of the average person.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
My path is similar to Anthony Flew's I guess. (At one time he was the atheist's atheist, but he ended up as what he called a deist.)
Are you feeling OK? Flew became a deist when his dementia had already set in.