• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the death penalty right?

Do you think the death penalty is right?

• yes

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hema said:
I agree with that.

I am another "I didn't like it, but am hanging my mind"........

I guess when there is no doubt whatsoever, then death is the only option. I am speaking of Country leaders who have abused their people, of terrorists who have so much evidence against them as to leave no doubt.

My only reserve is that death may be too easy a way, for them. The point is, why the punishment ? - is it a punishment, or is it the way to rid the world of Vermin who will never change ? ...The latter, me thinks.

diemjay

michel said:
My only reserve is that death may be too easy a way, for them. The point is, why the punishment ? - is it a punishment, or is it the way to rid the world of Vermin who will never change ? ...The latter, me thinks.

I am an adamant supporter of absolute and universal human rights. For me, that includes opposing the executions of the 'worst' people (those who violate human rights). I don't oppose those executions because I think they are nice people. I do not oppose those excecutions because I think they may be innocent. I do not even oppose those exceutions because I think they can be reformed. I oppose those excecutions because I believe all humans are entitled to human rights (without exception).

My own opinion is that the quest for justice involves seeking a fair and just solution for all parties. I do not think capital punishment can be a fair solution for all parties since it involves killing one of the parties. If someone is a danger to others that person should be taken into custody. This should be done for the benefit of both society (which needs protection from the prisoner) and the prisoner (who needs protection from his/her own actions). Prison, so long as it has justice, can actually be a positve influence on a person's life and adding justice to a life of injustice is a good thing.

There is a lot of room for prison reform too and I think that's something we should act upon. I certainly do not think prison should be 'fun' and it should not be a 'reward'. Also, I do not buy the 'excecution is legal so it is just' thing. All kinds of crap has been legal in the past without being just. Was slavery just? Abuse? Genocide? etc... Laws can be unjust.

In my opinion (which I've borrowed from soneone else :) ), the consequence of doing evil is...doing evil. People who do bad become like bad people and that is the real punishment. My belief is that any restrictions we place on such people should not be done in the spirit of punishment or retribution. The restrictions should be done in the spirit of serving the good and the just (which is good and just for everyone).

http://www.amnesty.org/

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world..."
-Anne Frank -

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The death penalty is effective at only one thing, ensuring that the murderer will never murder again.

With that line of reasoning, I think I'll shoot the neighbor's dog so that he'll stop barking at night and keeping us from getting a good night's rest. :rolleyes:

I have never been a supporter of capital punishment, even when I had be a part of a debate team in college where our stance was for it. It was for a grade, so I played the devil's advocate in accordance to my personal ethics. But doing the research and presenting our case still never ultimately changed my mind.

So, I'll give it that the death penalty stops murder (not as a deterrent, which is faulty logic, BTW), but it isn't right. I'm also vehemently pro-life on the abortion issue to the point where I'd be considered radical compared to most, but I would never support a sniper taking out any staff at an abortion clinic.

Peace,
Mystic

klubbhead024

We should start executing more people!! If you are convicted of rape, murder, or molesting children, it should be an automatic death sentance. There is no good reason why we should pay millions and millions of dollars to ensure these people stay alive and well. Or we could do what George Carlin suggests...

Clear everyone out of Kansas while putting a giant 25 foot wall up throughout the border. Drop every muirderer, rapist, etc, into Kansas with just the shirt on their back. Every so often drop every gun, kinfe, and drug taken by law enforcement, and just let them all go to town!

UnityNow101

The death penalty is indeed necessary in some instances in which the guilt of the offender is upheld with assured accuracy. One should not be led to death if there is any doubt of their doing the killing. Nowadays we have DNA evidence which usually links the murderer to the crime. If no DNA evidence is to be found, then witnesses would be sufficient enough to bring about the death penalty on a murderer.

love

tri-polar optimist
The evils of this world is so mind boggoling I can't keep up with it. We hear of human beings killing other human beings for pleasure or sexual gratification and it makes us want to hate and kill them. But, in our society the death penalty insures that the offender will be isolated and secure from the the general population, have unlimited access to attorneys, and have witnesses on their behalf along with the people outside protesting their death as they go out as a hero.
They should have to live out the rest of their life in the general population, which is a society unto itself
They should be made to work just like anyone else and stand in line to get their dinner. This will not be a piece cake.
Jeffery Dameir did not do too well under these conditons. Ted Bundy has gone to his eternity , which is inevitable, we just rushed it along. Bundy should have been made aware of the wrath of society for killing all of these women for his own pleasure. Prison is not the country club that some people make it out to be. Life should mean life, period. Life sentences shouldn not be given if it is not meant.

jacquie4000

I guess I am a fence sitter on this one. If you could prove with out a doubt that someone is guilty of mass murder mostly, for instance Helter Skelter..I am aware that is not his name but someone who I think can not be corrected in anyway. Then I believe in the death penalty. Overall I would say no. But I do think certain cercumstances warrent it. But then where is the cut off?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I see I've changed my mind on this since this thread was made years ago.

Two wrongs make two wrongs.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
jamaesi said:
I see I've changed my mind on this since this thread was made years ago.

Two wrongs make two wrongs.

that is circular logic. your conclusion is an assumed premise. (if you care).

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
klubbhead024 said:
We should start executing more people!! If you are convicted of rape, murder, or molesting children, it should be an automatic death sentance. There is no good reason why we should pay millions and millions of dollars to ensure these people stay alive and well. Or we could do what George Carlin suggests...

Clear everyone out of Kansas while putting a giant 25 foot wall up throughout the border. Drop every muirderer, rapist, etc, into Kansas with just the shirt on their back. Every so often drop every gun, kinfe, and drug taken by law enforcement, and just let them all go to town!

With satallite capabilities, the government could put it on TV as a reality show and cut taxes! can you imagine the ratings that thing would get?

TODAY, ON SURVIVOR - KANSAS...

klubbhead024

comprehend said:
With satallite capabilities, the government could put it on TV as a reality show and cut taxes! can you imagine the ratings that thing would get?

TODAY, ON SURVIVOR - KANSAS...

Thats 1 reality show that I may actually watch!