• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Coronavirus Man made?

Audie

Veteran Member
Quite.

There are just some people around who revel in notions of being persecuted by some nebulous "them" (government, "elites", Illuminati, Lizard People or what-have-you), or of being part of some tiny minority who are the only ones to perceive "Ve Troof" and who the whole world is against. I have read that research shows believers in one conspiracy theory are likely to go in for a whole series of them, often with no connection between them. A good dose of scientific ignorance probably helps - though I have sometimes come across conspiracy theorists who know quite a bit of science, so this can't really be said to be diagnostic of the type.

Suffice it to say it comes as no surprise to find a JW circulating absurd conspiracy theories.

Nothing new about "us v them" as a way to solidify a
group. As a cult within a cult, of course JW are going
to be that way.
Systematic deprogramming of higher order thinking
skills makes conspiracy-conspiracy easier to believe.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That crazy CIA. Mind control, mental telepathy, astral projection...they have their hands in everything.

Just now, I made up a conspiracy theory where the Devil is the head of the CIA and they are responsible for global warming, because...well...Satan.
My favourite of those is the Millenarian conspiracy theory according to which the Antichrist is the secretary-general of the UN: Ban Ki Moon—UN Caretaker or AntiChrist?

You do have to wonder what some of these people are smoking. :D

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
My favourite of those is the Millenarian conspiracy theory according to which the Antichrist is the secretary-general of the UN: Ban Ki Moon—UN Caretaker or AntiChrist?

I have heard that Satan runs the world. Now we have the proof.

Sometimes I wonder why anyone would think we need the intervention of Satan, when we are so good at getting the job done on our own.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump just cut funding for the CDC by 16%.
I saw that too. Since he did it, I am sure it must be for very good reasons. Perhaps it has been determined that emerging diseases can be shamed into submission by massive tweet storms. Maybe calling them names is prophylactic. Little Circle Disease. Tiny Sick Maker. He seems to be hung up on size.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

About 15 or 20 years ago, I started seeing a few social scientists looking at conspiracy theories and their impact more seriously. The conclusion of one researcher was that not only was there a growing body of people following them, but as many as 20% of the US population were using them as the basis for political decisions. A scary thought, but no as scary as the idea that it now appears to be a larger percentage.

What used to be the fringe has taken on a much more prominent life on the internet.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
A little off topic, but I wonder to what extent this is all going to accelerate China's (for starters) migration to a cashless society. They're already ahead of us in that regard.
I am wondering how long before technology means we never have to see anyone.

Asimov had a society like that in one of his Foundation books. An androgenous society of a few thousand on a planet the size of the Earth that only communicated with each other by video.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Quite.

There are just some people around who revel in notions of being persecuted by some nebulous "them" (government, "elites", Illuminati, Lizard People or what-have-you), or of being part of some tiny minority who are the only ones to perceive "Ve Troof" and who the whole world is against. I have read that research shows believers in one conspiracy theory are likely to go in for a whole series of them, often with no connection between them. A good dose of scientific ignorance probably helps - though I have sometimes come across conspiracy theorists who know quite a bit of science, so this can't really be said to be diagnostic of the type.

Suffice it to say it comes as no surprise to find a JW circulating absurd conspiracy theories.
No surprise to me either.