• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 'Christian'.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It is so unfortunate to see people tell such absurd falsehoods but there you are. Clearly, attacking me- and thinking I am affected by your words- is where you get your fun. Also unfortunately, I don't care what you think/say bc you never show proof I am mistaken- you/LDS just keep regurgitating that I am. I post what the LDS leaders- your leaders- have stated was their standard works. If you choose to call your leaders 'liars' that is fine with me. On that point, though, we both agree. But, as is usual, I am making inroads. I always do. Evidence cannot be ignored, refuted or dismissed so it is believed. And, I did post proof the LDS sw are more than 4 books- unless you're going to say that the LDS god changes. Are you saying that? When the 'other' sw were being taught, printed, published and preached no one 'then' said a contrary or negative word about them. neither did the LDS god who said he would quickly sweep any LDS leaders off the earth if they 'tried' to teach what he didn't approve of. I believe he must have approved of the JoDs and others or someone would have died then. Right? Unless ur going to say the LDS god is a liar. I wouldn't do that if I were you but go for it. I'll believe you if you did.

See! All I tried to do has almost been done- show that the LDS church is not Christian. Heck, I even showed where the LDS said they wanted nothing to do with Christianity or any other established church. So how can the LDS be Christians when they said that?
I doubt anyone replies to this bc they haven't yet. But people are listening and the truth is coming out. Are you ready for it?
*yawn*
You are not the first one to present this nonsense.
I doubt you will be the last one.
Just like creationists, you do not bring anything new to the table.
just the same old worn out bull **** that, just like the ones before you, you think is some kind of Earth shattering revelation...

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Just bc you won't see the truth doesn't mean I am not stating it. Or, are you saying the LDS church leaders lied when they said the JoDs and 'others' were LDS doctrine? It's hard to tell what people mean when they ignore or refuse to accept clear truths.
I agree.
Now the question is why do you?
I mean you have already been told numerous times that your declared Mormon Doctrine isn't, but here you are going on and on as though you have not had your *** repeatedly handed to you.

I did- repeatedly. Here it is for the last time...the Bible.
that is not an answer.
That is a cop out.
Not only are there numerous versions of the Bible, there are Numerous versions oc Christianity, all allegedly based on the Bible.

So you actually have not given a clear concise answer.
You give a cowards cop out.

By more authority than any LDS leader has ever had, Jesus' word, the Bible.
That you hide behind your generic Bible reveals more about you than anyone else.

Muffled

Jesus in me
They make it up as they go along- as times change, old men die off and new ones take their places or as the culture changes or when the 'world' finds out what the LDS church had been teaching.
If god really did speak to JS and tell him His commands, doctrines, etc then there would never be a need to change a single belief bc God knows everything, the end before the beginning, so why would there ever be a change in anything God gave to the LDS? None of us can have it both ways. It is my firm belief that LDS doctrine is driven by public interest in or knowledge of the early LDS doctrines and history. I believe that much is crystal clear- otherwise there would never be any changes...especially when one reads what the LDS church taught about 'truth'. I may post some later. Then, all will ask why a single change occurred.

I believe that can either be a good thing or a bad thing. The RCC managed to stay so rigid in false doctrine that it took a reformation to change it. However we have seen some denominations go apostate in their doctrine so change doesn't always work to improve doctrine. Doctrine does tend to depend on how well the leaders are led by the Holy Spirit and there is lots of room for self deception.

I believe the Mormons don't report him making that claim in their history and I haven't found a church yet that could claim that for their doctrine.

I believe that is impossible to prove. It is like saying you knew what Jesus was thinking.

I believe this is false logic. There are lots of reasons why doctrine can change.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Church leadership (the President of the Church, his two counselors, and the Quorum of the Twelve [Apostles]) decide. Anyone who wants to understand what actually constitutes Mormon doctrine should have no trouble whatsoever in doing so. This article -- “Approaching Mormon Doctrine” provides some good direction in that regard. It is found on the official Church website, “Newsroom.” It is “the official resource for news media, opinion leaders and the public.” One statement in particular from that article specifically answers your question:

“Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “Standard Works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.”

No other writings or statements, regardless of who may have made them, are considered canonical by the Church. Someone can be said to be teaching Mormon doctrine if what he is saying can be backed up by something found in the Standard Works. It's when an individual begins to expand and extrapolate on what is found in the Standard Works that he crosses the line and starts teaching something which is not official doctrine.

I believe I can thank you for that. I think I may have seen you post about standard works before but I believe it is a new insight for me about church hierarchy.

I don't believe in judging on a person's or church's past but on what is there now. I once believed I was guilty of sin until Jesus assured me I was not by bringing back to memory a song from my youth. "what can wash away my sin, nothing but the blood of Jesus." So I would rather be judged on what I believe now as opposed to what I believed then.

I believe a Mormon could have a differing opinion from doctrine so do you on occasion? Also can a person address the leadership with the concept that a doctrinal statement is false?

I attend a Southern Baptist Convention church and often disagree with the pastor but I don't like to argue with him because I worry about diminishing his work in the church. So far he hasn't kicked me out for nonconformity, lol. I have no idea what SBC doctrine is and could care less and perhaps the pastor is following it.