• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 'Christian'.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I do not believe so but I believe it is the impact of what he is saying.
Really? I didn't get that in the slightest. To me, any sincere Christian is going to be living the best he can according to what he believes is expected of him. If I don't drink alcoholic beverages or smoke cigarettes because I believe God has told me not to, I am living my life with integrity. In other words, how I behave is in alignment with what I claim to believe. That doesn't mean I have the right to condemn Christians who do otherwise. God alone knows who is really sincere and who is not. Personally, I believe He puts a great deal of stock in our best efforts to be obedient, even if they sometimes may be misguided.

omega2xx

Once again, you are simply unwilling to accept the fact that -- as four members of the Church have stated -- not everything every LDS leader has ever said is LDS doctrine. Our doctrine is contained in the Standard Works, which are The Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. If an LDS leader makes a statement that cannot be supported by at least one of these books, then it is nothing more than that individual's opinion.

Are you saying that what I posted was not taught by Talmadge and McConkie?

How can intelligent people, having been corrected dozens of times, continue to think they know more about what Mormons believe than Mormons do themselves? Why would they expect other people to continue to believe they know what they're talking about?

Because what Mormons believe is on the internet for anyone who wants to read it. Of what I posted in this one you are referring to, what did I post that is not true?

omega2xx

They were laws. The Bible makes no distinction between moral laws and "common sense laws." If they were "common sense laws" (whatever those might be), they would be recognized as such by today's Orthodox Jews, to whom they were initially given and who still adhere to them. Our ability to dry clean clothes today is irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Buy your self a suit made of wool and cotton and wash it in the washing machine. You will soon find you wasted your money. Everything God tells us to do is not a law.

omega2xx

It certainly would be, but it was a waste of your time posting these. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are accounts of two different groups of people living on continents on other sides of the world from each other. I'll address just one of these silly claims, to illustrate how flawed your logic is. The Bible says Christ's disciples were first called "Christians" in Antioch, and the Book of Mormon supposedly "contradicts" this statement. Good grief, man! How on earth would you expect the writers of the Bible to know anything about what was going on nearly ten thousand miles away from them? These two volumes were written independently of each other. Both of them are, at least in part, histories. The details can't be expected to be the same.

If both were inspired by God, there would be no contradictions.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Are you saying that what I posted was not taught by Talmadge and McConkie?
No. I didn't say that at all.

Because what Mormons believe is on the internet for anyone who wants to read it.
And a lot of what Mormons don't believe is on the internet, too.

Of what I posted in this one you are referring to, what did I post that is not true?
I don't know which post you are referring to.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buy your self a suit made of wool and cotton and wash it in the washing machine. You will soon find you wasted your money. Everything God tells us to do is not a law.
Oh, I see. We get to choose which things are commandments and which are merely suggestions. :D That's going to make life a whole lot easier from here on out.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Here they are:
How many animal sacrifices have you made this week?

Because the temple was destroyed and there are no rany priest who can trace ther linage back to Aaron, they cannot be offered any longer.

Also, Jesus fulfilled all of the sacrificial laws---But He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God---Heb 10:12.

For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified---Heb 10:14

Those are not moral laws, they are common sense laws. By your self a jacket made of wool and linen. Then when it gets dirty put it in the washing machine to clean it. The common sense of that requirement will suddenly dawn on you. Remember, they did not have dry cleaning in those days. They are like telling your kids not to touch a hot stove.
Thus showing that god changed his mind.
Which was my point.

Thanks for playing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If both were inspired by God, there would be no contradictions.
And as I see it, there aren't. We have two groups of people, separated by nearly 10,000 miles and one of them, at least, not even being aware of the other's existence. They are each telling their own story, and you expect these stories to be identical. You are also appear to be assuming that every word in the Bible was dictated by God to someone here on earth, who was meticulously recording it. I don't. If someone in the Holy Land said that Jesus' followers were first called "Christians" at Antioch, I think that's because that's what that individual had observed firsthand or was told by someone. I don't think it means either the Bible or the Book of Mormon is in error because they differ in this regard. As a matter of fact, I think it's positively ludicrous to assume that they would say the same thing. Do you really want to continue beating this dead horse?

omega2xx

No. I didn't say that at all.

And a lot of what Mormons don't believe is on the internet, too.

I don't know which post you are referring to.

All I know is that there are contradiction between the Bible and the BOM. That is the reason I reject Mormonism. It is illogical to use 2 books for your doctrines that contradict one another. When that occurs, you must choose one,; that should automatically eliminated one.

It is also illogical to use the KJ, when there are much better translations available.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
All I know is that there are contradiction between the Bible and the BOM. That is the reason I reject Mormonism. It is illogical to use 2 books for your doctrines that contradict one another. When that occurs, you must choose one,; that should automatically eliminated one.

It is also illogical to use the KJ, when there are much better translations available.
Hells bells son, there are contradictions between the OT and the NT.
So which one of them do you reject?