• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 'Christian'.

Sonny

How many animal sacrifices have you made this week?
Do you wear cotton with polyester?
Mestemia, do you understand the point of animal sacrifices? They are 1. always performed in temples. The LDS have weddings in their temples. That is not what temples were made for. And, 2. they point to the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross at Calvary. And, much of the OT, as I've mentioned already, was for God's 'chosen' people, the Jewish people, not for any others. Also, Jesus taught that He fulfilled the OT. As such much of it is no longer part of life- it isn't needed anymore. One has to understand the proper context and purpose of those things to see how awesome and amazing Jesus was. Today, we live under grace (God gives us that which none of us deserve when we become Christians which is complete forgiveness) but the OT was God's law. They are totally different formats for life.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Mestemia, do you understand the point of animal sacrifices? They are 1. always performed in temples. The LDS have weddings in their temples. That is not what temples were made for. And, 2. they point to the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross at Calvary. And, much of the OT, as I've mentioned already, was for God's 'chosen' people, the Jewish people, not for any others. Also, Jesus taught that He fulfilled the OT. As such much of it is no longer part of life- it isn't needed anymore. One has to understand the proper context and purpose of those things to see how awesome and amazing Jesus was. Today, we live under grace (God gives us that which none of us deserve when we become Christians which is complete forgiveness) but the OT was God's law. They are totally different formats for life.
*yawn*
God clearly changed his mind from the OT to the NT.

Interesting how you did not answer either question.

Until you can show your beliefs are the one true way of the Christian, all you are doing is showing how Mormon belief differs from your belief.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Seems to me that Sonny's whole argument can be boiled down to "LDS beliefs differ from mine so they are wrong".
Actually, most of the things Sonny claims are LDS doctrines really aren't and never have been. So far on this thread, he has had four different active, long-time members of the Church tell him that he is mistaken, and he just continues to claim that he's right and the four of us are wrong. He kind of makes things up as he goes along, and then pulls out-of-context statements out of non-canonical works and attempts to paraphrase them in such a way that they appear to support his arguments. I don't think anybody's really paying any attention to him, though, so it really doesn't matter all that much. He appears to be enjoying himself, and I've had a couple of people message me and tell me they're finding him to be pretty entertaining.

I suspect he thinks I'm reading his posts, but he's on ignore. I've had all I can take of his lies. I can tell that he has posted because I see people's replies to his posts, but I can only guess as to what he's said when I read the answers he's getting. I'm really glad to see Scott C., dianaiad, and Deep Shadow posting. They are three very reliable sources.

By the way, if anybody reads any of Sonny's posts and would like me to address his claims, please just post the same questions yourself and I'll see and answer them.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Actually, most of the things Sonny claims are LDS doctrines really aren't and never have been. So far on this thread, he has had four different active, long-time members of the Church tell him that he is mistaken, and he just continues to claim that he's right and the four of us are wrong. He kind of makes things up as he goes along, and then pulls out-of-context statements out of non-canonical works and attempts to paraphrase them in such a way that they appear to support his arguments. I don't think anybody's really paying any attention to him, though, so it really doesn't matter all that much. He appears to be enjoying himself.
Oh.
Well, I am only feeding him because I am bored.

Sonny

It's also rather false. In several instances, others were with Joseph and were able to corroborate his experience. Several shared in some of the most significant spiritual experiences he had.
Would you, please, post a few of JS's prophecies. I have looked into (researched) many of them and I haven't found a single one that is provably true or accurate. For instance, in my research I always said 'not a single prophecy of JS ever came true as predicted'. One LDS missionary mentioned the 'stars falling' prophecy in which JS prophesied that within the nest 40 days the stars would fall (or something similar to that). Well, as I am wont to do I checked it out thoroughly. JS travelled extensively so he learned what most people and all LDS members of the time did not. The seeming stars falling has been occurring for a few generations. I saved some of the many times it was documented. In reality, then, JS was 'prophesying what scientists and others around them in big cities knew but what no LDS did. Also- and the reason I did the search, JS mentions "within 40 days". If it came from God it would have been precise, not 'sometime in the next' whatever time frame. JS literally deceived his followers with a common occurrence. Anyone want to see the 'prophecy' and the scientific facts disproving it? Sadly, I believe, the LDS back then were too trusting of JS. But most people were that trusting then.
And the 'others' who were with JS were LDS leaders so they had, in my view, an invested interest- money, fame, power- in supporting JS.

Sonny

Of course they were credible. You don't have to agree with their beliefs or philosophies, but they were all respected, upstanding members of the community and would have been seen as credible witnesses by their peers, who were certainly in a better position to judge their credibility than you are. And even though several of them eventually had a falling out with Joseph Smith, none of them ever denied their statements regarding the Book of Mormon.
How were they credible? 10 of the first 12 LDS apostles "lifted their heel against me", JS said. And one of them (forget name) started his own church. That is a smack to JS, not a praise or vote of confidence or proof of honesty and truthfulness.

With respect to Martin Harris, this is his deathbed statement: "The Book of Mormon is no fake. I know what I know. I have seen what I have seen and I have heard what I have heard. I have seen the gold plates from which the Book of Mormon is written. An angel appeared to me and others and testified to the truthfulness of the record, and had I been willing to have perjured myself and sworn falsely to the testimony I now bear I could have been a rich man, but I could not have testified other than I have done and am now doing for these things are true."
None of the Witnesses ever saw the plates- they all said as much. If you are willing to accept statements made by them not in the standard works, that is. But you're not, are you, Katzpur. See? You can't have it both ways- either we use the books the LDS church printed and published or we can't use them. But the LDS can't deny them then turn around and use them as you are now doing. It is a double standard and, I think, hypocrisy.

Sonny

Is it about what's true, or about what's Christian?
It is about what is a Christian church. The truth always comes out as a secondary effect of seeking to know the first part. When you learn one you also find the other.

Also, when you quote, just click Reply and then write below the text.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I thot I had to click 'quote' and 'reply'.

Sonny

The fact they believe Jesus is Lord and man may only come to God through repenting & accepting Christ's redemption for their sins.
No, they don't believe in Jesus- at least not the one found in the Bible. And, they teach that obedience to the LDS church leaders is part of how they gain exaltation (salvation to Christians). Works are not part of salvation. Christians call it love, not works. Work implies someone owes you something for what you earned but love is what we do bc we want to serve and please God. And if leaders don't comply with the Bible then we are not to follow them. Jesus spoke of that, too.

Sonny

Bc God told us that in the last days truth would fall in the streets (Is. 59). Isn't that what is happening here? Everyone wants to 'say' their truth is the truth without any questions or doubts but only bc they said so. The Bible is the historic measure of what is or isn't Christian. Therefore, we are to use it as the standard and gauge.

Whose Christian doctrine? It may not be your doctrine, but your doctrine doesn't define Christianity.
It has never been about me or my personal beliefs (I've said that a few times now). It is about what the Bible teaches. If we don't have a measuring tool to go by how do we know anything? The Bible is the measuring tape for Christianity. People can't trash the Bible and be a part of it at the same time. The LDS did that. I'll post it later.

Sonny

IMO any denomination that rejects the Trinity, is questionable. Also they give the BOM more authority than the they do the Bible. Also continue to give credence to some of the false prophets.

They have a lot of things against them but I am not going to judge them, They will answer to God, not to me.

Here are some teachings I have problem with:
--By obedience and Jesus attained to the pinnacle of intelligence which ranked Him as A God,,,
--Jesus was aided in the work of creation by Michael(or Adam), Enoch, Noah...Joseph
Smith and others.
--God is not omnipresent.
--God has a body of flesh and bones.
--Adam fell that men might be and men are, that they might have joy.

Not one of those beliefs do they proved a Bible reference.
The LDS church would cease to exist without these doctrines but not a single one of them is in the 'most correct book on earth' (BoM). How can that be? Here are those doctrines,

The Church organization
Melchizedek Priesthood
Aaronic Priesthood
Plurality of Gods
God is an exalted man
Men may become Gods
The 3 Degrees of Glory
Plurality of wives (Polygamy)
The 'Word of Wisdom'
Our 'Pre-existence'
Eternal Progression
A 'Heavenly Mother'
These are very sacred and major LDS doctrines/teachings. So, how can the Book of Mormon (BoM) be "The most correct book on earth" and "The fullness of the everlasting Gospel" when it doesn't have any of these doctrines in it?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Bc God told us that in the last days truth would fall in the streets (Is. 59). Isn't that what is happening here? Everyone wants to 'say' their truth is the truth without any questions or doubts but only bc they said so. The Bible is the historic measure of what is or isn't Christian. Therefore, we are to use it as the standard and gauge.
It has never been about me or my personal beliefs (I've said that a few times now). It is about what the Bible teaches. If we don't have a measuring tool to go by how do we know anything? The Bible is the measuring tape for Christianity. People can't trash the Bible and be a part of it at the same time. The LDS did that. I'll post it later.
No, they don't believe in Jesus- at least not the one found in the Bible. And, they teach that obedience to the LDS church leaders is part of how they gain exaltation (salvation to Christians). Works are not part of salvation. Christians call it love, not works. Work implies someone owes you something for what you earned but love is what we do bc we want to serve and please God. And if leaders don't comply with the Bible then we are not to follow them. Jesus spoke of that, too.
Still waiting.....

Until you can show your beliefs are the one true way of the Christian, all you are doing is showing how Mormon belief differs from your belief.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am reminded of Fish-Hunter and USS_Big
Oh yeah! I remember them. Both of them got banned, didn't they? :D I'm surprised you were able to remember their names. It's always just a matter of time before it happens. Someday we'll be talking about Sonny in the past tense. :p

Last edited: