• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the christian bible God's word?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Torah itself says that a man must divorce any wife he hates.
I did not know the Torah says that. That is similar to the Baha'i Faith. Divorce is highly discouraged but it is allowed if one or another of the partners has an version for the other, because in that case harmony and unity cannot be achieved. One of the reasons I have been able to stay married for over 35 years is because I take the divorce law very seriously. Sure there are times when I hate my husband for things he does but that does not qualify as an aversion because it is transitory. We bicker a lot and I would not say we have a "loving" relationship, but that does not qualify as an aversion. I would probably be much happier with another man, but that is not a reason to get a divorce, as there is much more to life than personal happiness which is fleeting at best.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I did not know the Torah says that. That is similar to the Baha'i Faith. Divorce is highly discouraged but it is allowed if one or another of the partners has an version for the other, because in that case harmony and unity cannot be achieved. One of the reasons I have been able to stay married for over 35 years is because I take the divorce law very seriously. Sure there are times when I hate my husband for things he does but that does not qualify as an aversion because it is transitory. We bicker a lot and I would not say we have a "loving" relationship, but that does not qualify as an aversion. I would probably be much happier with another man, but that is not a reason to get a divorce, as there is much more to life than personal happiness which is fleeting at best.
Subject to interpretation Deuteronomy 24:1. It is debated which reasons are acceptable, but by Jesus interpretation unless she is unfaithful the flaw is in the husband for being displeased. This he says is a sign of a hardened heart, but lets not go into what that means to Jesus. All of these words are part of one or more nadsats. A 'Heart' can't literally become hard, because you'd die if it did. All of it is subject to interpretation.

Bird123

Is the christian Bible God's word?

If thats true.. Then divorce is bad.. many "modern" things is bad.. Are those who do not follow the Bible lost? Do God want us to follow the bible and dislike it if we don't? even though we are kind to other people?

The Bible was written by mankind that is who it reflects. One can see it is not from God in that it values so many of the petty things mankind holds so dear like Ruling, controlling, condemning, judging,punishing, payback, hating, intimidating,coercion, might makes right, a we and they, wanting to destroy that which is not easily fixed . etc.

There are many good lessons on love in the bible so why does their god not live the lessons?

There is far too much accepting with far too little questioning. To question is the start on the journey to discovery.

In reality, those who wrote the bible understand very little about God at all. God is at a much Higher Level than who they want God to be. God is far more Intelligent than the bible god.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

74x12

In my opinion the reverse is true, many ancient things where bad, its just that the ancients were too primitive to understand the concepts such as do no harm and empathy - particularly as they apply to the modern world.
Neither one is all good or all bad.

Audie

Veteran Member

If thats true.. Then divorce is bad.. many "modern" things is bad.. Are those who do not follow the Bible lost? Do God want us to follow the bible and dislike it if we don't? even though we are kind to other people?
It is as much as any other book about any god

Audie

Veteran Member
The Bible was written by humans - quite a lot of them, over a long period of time, and translated and edited many times, between and after. So I think it would be foolish, and idolatrous, to then treat the words within it as though they had come from the mouth or mind of God. The Bible contains the God-related wisdom of a specific tribe of humans, and it is useful in that regard. But it does not contain nor reveal the mind of God. And the arrogance involved in presuming that it does, is very dangerous. Because to presume that God wrote the Bible is to then presume that God sanctions our interpretation of the words within it. And therefor sanctions our own minds and hearts. And there is nothing more dangerous than a man who believes that he is sanctioned by God.
What is god related wisdom

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Having my parents go through a divorce... I can't say that it is good. However, God did permit divorce because there are circumstances where it necessary. The children usually are the casualties of divorce.

I'm not sure about "modern things". Can you be more specific?

Dave Watchman

The Bible was written by humans - quite a lot of them, over a long period of time, and translated and edited many times, between and after. So I think it would be foolish, and idolatrous, to then treat the words within it as though they had come from the mouth or mind of God.

Now and then there's a fool such as I.

The words come from the mouth and mind of God.

"Because I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me, Himself gave me a command what to say and in what words to speak.
I am sure of it.

The Bible contains the God-related wisdom of a specific tribe of humans, and it is useful in that regard. But it does not contain nor reveal the mind of God. And the arrogance involved in presuming that it does, is very dangerous. Because to presume that God wrote the Bible is to then presume that God sanctions our interpretation of the words within it. And therefor sanctions our own minds and hearts. And there is nothing more dangerous than a man who believes that he is sanctioned by God.

I'm not sure of your use of the word "sanctioned" by God.

I like that you capitalized the name of "God".

But I don't think that I'm one of the "sanctioned" ones.

I'm sure that the sanctioned ones would never participate on the public forums.

I just have a knack for eyeballing the 18 prophetic time periods written in the Script.

The fact that the bible was written by a number of humans, spanning quite a number of years, lends even more proof to it's authenticity.

Because only one Author, could have orchestrated all of the prophetic time periods therein.

So that we could know therefore and understand.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everything is God's word if you can see it or hear it. A single flower in a field speaks more than the whole Bible itself in letters does.

Are those who do not follow the Bible lost?
I know a great number of people who follow the Bible, and are more lost than those who don't. Being lost really is a state of mind that overlooks God, even hiding God behind their religion so they can't see him.

Do God want us to follow the bible and dislike it if we don't? even though we are kind to other people?
Try to follow your conscious and listen to your heart. Trying to figure out what love is by reading a book about it, does not inform you of what love is. Don't rely so much on trying to be told what it is. You already know it.

People can hide God by trying to make it hard with doubtful questions.

Pudding

I haven't been convince to believe that.

If thats true.. Then divorce is bad.. many "modern" things is bad..
Not necessarily. A believer of God can filter out those things by using interpretations, like saying that it has been fulfill, it only apply to ancient time, it's a metaphor to say other things or a specific passages is not meant to be read literally...etc.

But of course there're some believers who cannot filter out the bad stuff like slavery, racism, misogyny and/or other immoral/irrational/evil/barbaric stuff. That's too bad. And this scenarios not only happens in Christianity, there're some believers from some other Abrahamics religions also suffers from this problem.

Are those who do not follow the Bible lost?
I don't believe that.

Do God want us to follow the bible and dislike it if we don't? even though we are kind to other people?
I haven't been convince to believe God exists.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Now and then there's a fool such as I.

The words come from the mouth and mind of God.

"Because I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me, Himself gave me a command what to say and in what words to speak.
I am sure of it.

I'm not sure of your use of the word "sanctioned" by God.

I like that you capitalized the name of "God".

But I don't think that I'm one of the "sanctioned" ones.

I'm sure that the sanctioned ones would never participate on the public forums.

I just have a knack for eyeballing the 18 prophetic time periods written in the Script.

The fact that the bible was written by a number of humans, spanning quite a number of years, lends even more proof to it's authenticity.

Because only one Author, could have orchestrated all of the prophetic time periods therein.

So that we could know therefore and understand.

Peaceful Sabbath.
Faith is not the absence by denial of doubt. Faith is choosing to live according to an ideal that one hopes to be true, in the face (recognition) of doubt.

The absence of doubt, by it's denial, is an act of hubris, and pretense; not faith. And this is a course of action that lead men to disastrous ends.

Last edited:

Dave Watchman

Faith is not the absence by denial of doubt. Faith is choosing to live according to an ideal that one hopes to be true, in the face (recognition) of doubt.

But what you say takes it out, takes it away, from God's Domain.

The faith has to be given from God Himself.

Faith, belief, even wisdom itself has to be given from God. It is a gift from God. It's not an inherent quality that I can possess or generate on my own. "So that I may not boast in the presence of God.

Remember when Jesus asked Peter who He was?

Peter said You are the Son of the living God.

And Jesus answered him,

“Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.​

Daniel said:

"He changes times and seasons;
he removes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding;
he reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what is in the darkness,
and the light dwells with him.
Paul said:

"I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith."​

God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

I got a big dose.

The absence of doubt, by it's denial, is an act of hubris, and pretense; not faith. And this is a course of action that lead men to disastrous ends.

Maybe you're talking about guys like the Pope during the Foxe Book days.

Or a cult leader like Jim Jones, or the branch meridians.

My deal is different.

I'm talking about the empirical.

Nuts and bolts, measuring the prophetic time periods.

Like the 7 and the 62 weeks until Messiah the Prince.

457BC (Artaxerxes Decree) to 27 AD, when the last heptad began, and Jesus makes his debut in the temple reading from the Isaiah 61 scroll in Luke 4. Declaring the favorable year of the Lord.

Then confirmed by the Passover count in the middle of that week when Jesus ate the last supper with His disciples.

Even the time and date calendar from 30AD agrees with the new moon count for Passover that year.

Two modern day decrees which measure out 62 weeks and 7 weeks.

434 and 49 years, 1535 and 1969.

With the compass of a Jubilee, pointing from January, right at Covid 19.

What are the odds of that?

From 1535?

Peculiar prophetic time periods that match with a number from the solar and lunar cycle.

oGzZCa6.jpg

“The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord,” – Joel 2:31.

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: – Matthew 24:29.​

To you, O God of my fathers,
I give thanks and praise,
for you have given me wisdom and might,
and have now made known to me what we asked of you,
for you have made known to us the king’s matter.”

Peaceful Sabbath.