• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Body A Temple?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Do we have a responsibility to treat our bodies with utmost care and consideration? It is the vehicle through which we experience life.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do we have a responsibility to treat our bodies with utmost care and consideration? It is the vehicle through which we experience life.
In Christian terms, we are indeed a Temple for God's presence within us and should make due diligence to treat it right.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Yes. I believe so. The body is the conduit of spirit and method of expression of the soul. Interdependent on each other. So, you take care of the body, you have the energy to connect with your spirit and you have the mental means to express that life and personality through your actions (your body).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Yes, though I find it to be a simplistic view. Sometimes our bodies don't function right and we have to make changes that are sometimes drastic, like getting on HRT, because the alternatives aren't better.

A Vestigial Mote

In a way, we're each responsible for 23 trillion (+/-) individual lives. The vehicle has passengers, in other words. In fact it is built out of its passengers.

We humans tend to think of as our "self" as being the consciousness/mind only - and consider the body something that is just there to support it. When I feel it is very likely the opposite. The 23 trillion (+/-) individual lives that comprise the construction of our body (in the form of living cells of various types and numbers), likely "hire out" the responsibilities of the consciousness as a means to the end of helping keep the overall colony of cells safe from external pitfalls and dangers.

If one understands the function of evolution, then this view necessarily must be accepted - for it should be entirely obvious that the multi-cellular mass of individual lives existed prior to the development of a more singular controlling mechanism - i.e. consciousness independent of the individual cells as a sort of over-arching "controller" of activities that affect the entire colony.

And in that sense, "we" (again, thinking here of the consciousness humans tend to accept as our "self") are definitely responsible for the body. It's literally our only job. "We" don't pump the heart. "We" don't fight off infection. "We" don't convert food stuffs into energy, or distribute water to the rest of the colony. "We" basically only control where the body and its constituent parts are at any given moment, some reaction to stimuli, and what goes in our mouths. That's "our" job. Beyond that, anything we take on is just fluff/extra.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Your body is a Temple, so decorate that ****; make the Temple the kind of place you would like to worship.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

In only makes sense to treat your body with respect, you only get the one and it must last a lifetime

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its faulty to begin with. Leaks and parts falling off it all the time. Second hand stuff. One can only do so much with it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

So, how do you treat a temple that is different from the house or apt that you live in?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Responsibility usually implies some sort of external accountability. May I ask who or what we would be accountable to in this instance?

QuestioningMind

I suppose that depends entirely on how eager you are to continue experiencing life. If you'd like it to last as long as possible then treat it like a temple. If you don't care how long it lasts then go ahead and let it crumble around you.