• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Birth Control Pill Wrecking Your Health?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Well...I was surprised that Ben Shapiro was interested in the medical effects of the hormonal pill on woman.
Honestly I realize (despite his capability of pronouncing ten words every 3 seconds or so :p)...that both people in this video hardly trust biochemists.
Biochemists have been studying women's natural hormones for decades. Since very, very long time.
They have been capable of replicating these hormones in lab and they do work perfectly.

I don't think hormonal pills can have any side effect in the long run.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The mentality that we should watch political commentators and ideologues for advice on strictly medical topics is fundamentally destructive and intellectually unsound. This has been especially salient ever since it led to loss of life during the pandemic.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ben Shapiro is an imbecile. Why would you expect anything other than dopey drivel?

Of course conservatives are going to hate anything that gives women reproductive choice.

It's slightly incoherent, his approach.

Conservatives are so preoccupied with the abortion rate, so they should be the first to promote contraceptives (among which the pill is the safest for women).

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's slightly incoherent, his approach.

Conservatives are so preoccupied with the abortion rate, so they should be the first to promote contraceptives (among which the pill is the safest for women).
Because it's not actually about saving babies. If that were truly their concern they would be backing accessable healthcare and assistance programs, yet they do the opposite.

Soandso

Ah yes, Ben Shapiro. Another talking head on the T.V. telling me what I should believe

I will say that as far as talking heads go, he at least seems the least reptillian. He could almost pass as a regular human being if you were to meet him on the street, and unlike the other talking heads I think he actually believes most of the things he espouses

I think he would be an interesting person to talk to, but the things he talks about on his show does more harm than good, IMO

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Well...I was surprised that Ben Shapiro was interested in the medical effects of the hormonal pill on woman.
Honestly I realize (despite his capability of pronouncing ten words every 3 seconds or so :p)...that both people in this video hardly trust biochemists.
Biochemists have been studying women's natural hormones for decades. Since very, very long time.
They have been capable of replicating these hormones in lab and they do work perfectly.

Very naive, IMO.
A lot of women do have adverse effects to birth control.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ah yes, Ben Shapiro. Another talking head on the T.V. telling me what I should believe

I will say that as far as talking heads go, he at least seems the least reptillian. He could almost pass as a regular human being if you were to meet him on the street, and unlike the other talking heads I think he actually believes most of the things he espouses

I think he would be an interesting person to talk to, but the things he talks about on his show does more harm than good, IMO
...is that normal?
I mean...speaking that fast?
Well...in my country we speak slowly, that's true.
But I can't see the point in speaking that fast, honestly.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

I have zero interest in what this prude thinks about birth control.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Very naive, IMO.
A lot of women do have adverse effects to birth control.
And a ton of positive effects as well. Like majorly reducing severe cramping. Like reducing acne. Like slowing excessive blood flow. Like helping regulate one's cycle (which is a HUGE help!). Like reducing one's risk of uterine cancer.

Last edited:

Soandso

...is that normal?
I mean...speaking that fast?
Well...in my country we speak slowly, that's true.
But I can't see the point in speaking that fast, honestly.

Not really, but he's super smart, so maybe that's why? Hell if I know. I'm just a knuckle dragging troglodyte like everyone else

I will say that talking very fast tends to hide gish gallopping very well, so maybe that's why he does it

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
And a ton of positive effects as well. Like majorly reducing severe cramping. Like reducing acne. Like slowing excessive blood flow. Like helping regulate one's cycle (which is a HUGE help!). Like reducing one's risk of uterine cancer.
It's basically fooling your body. A few of the common side effects are:
  • acne
  • bleeding or spotting between periods
  • bloating
  • blood pressure above your usual range
  • depression
  • fatigue
  • feeling dizzy
  • fluid retention
  • headache
  • increased appetite
  • insomnia
  • melasma (dark patches on the face)
  • mood swings
  • nausea
  • tenderness or pain in the breasts
  • vomiting
  • weight gain
I would not consider these insignificant.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's basically fooling your body. A few of the common side effects are:
  • acne
  • bleeding or spotting between periods
  • bloating
  • blood pressure above your usual range
  • depression
  • fatigue
  • feeling dizzy
  • fluid retention
  • headache
  • increased appetite
  • insomnia
  • melasma (dark patches on the face)
  • mood swings
  • nausea
  • tenderness or pain in the breasts
  • vomiting
  • weight gain
I would not consider these insignificant.
Insignificant side effects considering that an unwanted pregnancy is much more serious as a consequence.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Insignificant side effects considering that an unwanted pregnancy is much more serious as a consequence.
That would depend on the person... My wife was on birth control for a long time but we were not really opposed to having a baby, we just weren't at the point in our lives that we thought we were ready.
She did not do well on the pill, so we looked for alternatives.
Certainly, depression and anxiety are not small side effects. And as someone who has experienced dizziness and vertigo quite a lot... it is no picnic.