• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible too Contradictory for All of it to be True?

Skwim

Veteran Member
If you do not have the Holy Spirit of Truth through the work of Salvation, being born again, these are your first failures. From there its just down hill.
Whether or not I have some kind of "Holy Spirit of Truth," the fact remains: a source, in this case the Bible, that contains contradictions cannot be all true, which is the question in point. The Bible cannot be all true.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that the reason why it is important for them to believe that the Bible is communicating just what it should say, words of God, is because they think it is so great and they want others to go ahead and discover it for themselves. Some people might not want to do it if they hear us say, "it isn't all right".
Those saying it has to be all right might be lacking the faith that God really is able to lead a person if that person can be led.

knh777

Is that what he was saying? I couldn't figure out if he was being sarcastic or not. I mean the content of the post didn't look serious...
I have no idea. Im just learning the site and how to post so its responding.
Sorry if I misquoted you.

My posts are very serious.
Maybe since you are from Israel you can discuss the year 5777.
What is the significance of this year?

Tumah

Veteran Member
I have no idea. Im just learning the site and how to post so its responding.
Sorry if I misquoted you.

My posts are very serious.
Maybe since you are from Israel you can discuss the year 5777.
What is the significance of this year?
Unbelievably, it came after the year 5776. According to the kabbalists, this is a sign that next year will be 5778.

omega2xx

That's why I'm cutting my posts into two. One short one that deals with a specific issue, and a larger one, as you usually bring up many other issues that can be addressed, and simple one liners, bumper sticker theology, doesn't really work to get a point across. Also, I can reference back to posts later on, showing that I have discussed this or that point as they come up second or third times.

Sometime a long post is necessary but usually ONLY to address everything in a long post. Most long post contain a lot of unrelated matter.

I did answer the question. It is a matter of faith.

No you didn't, you beat around the bush for a yes or no answer. It is not a matter of faith, it is a matter of belief.

You can't prove G-d exists. One accepts the existence of G-d on faith. Believing what G-d says is also based on faith. So yes, it is based on faith.

Here we disagree.

Still not sure what this has to do with our discussion though.

I am trying to establish that you do not accept miracles. Am I wrong.

omega2xx

Both true and without contradicting each other.
The Bible defines itself. And is clear when a metaphor or other speech type is used.
Watch videos by Chuck Missler, Id recommend his videos on you tube. He is one of the most sound I have found. Also Steve Cioccalanti on you tube.

Not familiar with Cioccalanti, but Missler has some very helpful insights in the Scriptures.

meghanwaterlillies

Yes, it is far too contradictory to be true.
2KI 24:8
Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2CH 36:9
Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

Ezra 2:15
The children of Adin, four hundred fifty and four.

Nehemiah 7:20
The children of Adin, six hundred fifty and five.

2 Samuel 8:4
And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven hundred horsemen.

1 Chronicles 18:4
And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven thousand horsemen.

1 Machabees 4:28
Lysias gathered together threescore thousand chosen men, and five thousand horsemen.

2 Machabees 11:2
Lysias ... Gathered together fourscore thousand men, and all the horsemen, and came against the Jews.

I could add to it.

meghanwaterlillies

If there is only one real contradiction in the Bible it can't all be true.
I believe so too. Cause that's a simple statement even though if I was to tell a story it may have happened but I may not recall exact details.There also may be additives or removals based on writers view later. After all the bible was compiled because some one else was going to do it.
What irritates me is some of the profound contradictions against marriage. Some of the contradictions of measure, for example the protests for Jesus' death and the things he supposedly measured against people in texts. Like workers protesting that they got the same amount working as someone else who didn't work hardly but hourly. They got the same. I know were that came from lol. Verses how he compared the woman that gave her last bit, he measured that as being compared with as way more then anyone else. They don't sound like the same Jesus there.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe so too. Cause that's a simple statement even though if I was to tell a story it may have happened but I may not recall exact details. There also may be additives or removals based on writers view later. After all the bible was compiled because some one else was going to do it.
What irritates me is some of the profound contradictions against marriage. Some of the contradictions of measure, for example the protests for Jesus' death and the things he supposedly measured against people in texts. Like workers protesting that they got the same amount working as someone else who didn't work hardly but hourly. They got the same. I know were that came from lol. Verses how he compared the woman that gave her last bit, he measured that as being compared with as way more then anyone else. They don't sound like the same Jesus there.
The Jesus I know speaks as food for thought. I believe it all makes sense at the highest and the lowest standing in the mind. Much of it is in consideration of the unconscious mind. That is how I know he is the promised messiah. It is written faith is needed for my life. Faith leads to trust. Trust leads to knowing. Knowing leads to friendship with God. Matthew 13:12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance.

meghanwaterlillies

The Jesus I know speaks as food for thought. I believe it all makes sense at the highest and the lowest standing in the mind. Much of it is in consideration of the unconscious mind. That is how I know he is the promised messiah. It is written faith is needed for my life. Faith leads to trust. Trust leads to knowing. Knowing leads to friendship with God. Matthew 13:12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance.
*Profoundly, and I profoundly take note of contradictions, to know that He knows himself, and where it looks like writers had a turn.

Last edited:

meghanwaterlillies

(I kind of like the movie Total Recall or well I should say the title) ....they ate rat burgers.

Last edited:

meghanwaterlillies

I gave some reasonable proof of His word showing it is reliable and has a signature.
Believe as you want.
You can either reason logically or be like an "unreasoning animals."
Those are the two minds set before this final generation.
One is in the image of the beast, the other is in the image of the Creator!
Did you say animals?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(I kind of like the movie Total Recall or well I should say the title) ....they ate rat burgers.
Hi! It would not surprise me one bit if you are communicating in code to someone. LOL

I even imagine that one day you will flip your picture upright as a signal for something or other.

omega2xx

Yes, it is far too contradictory to be true.
2KI 24:8
Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2CH 36:9
Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.​

No one is saying there are no scribal errors in the Bible. That is an obvious one. It does not change any basic doctrine of Christianity.

Ezra 2:15
The children of Adin, four hundred fifty and four.

Nehemiah 7:20
The children of Adin, six hundred fifty and five.

From Jamieson, Fausset and Brown: The discrepancy is sufficiently accounted for from the different circumstances in which the registers were taken; that of Ezra having been made up in Babylon, while that of Nehemiah was drawn out of Judah, after the wall of Jerusalem had been rebuilt. The lapse of so many years might well be expected to make a difference appear in the catalogue through death or other circumstances.

2 Samuel 8:4
And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven hundred horsemen.

1 Chronicles 18:4
And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven thousand horsemen.

Another obvious scribal error and you have made one your self. 2 Sam 8:4 says 1700 horsemen not 700. See how hard exact copying is.

1 Machabees 4:28
Lysias gathered together threescore thousand chosen men, and five thousand horsemen.

2 Machabees 11:2
Lysias ... Gathered together fourscore thousand men, and all the horsemen, and came against the Jews.

You have to get the Catholics to explain that one.

IMO, the fact that you can only find 2 discrepancies speaks volumes for the accuracy of the Bible.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Sometime a long post is necessary but usually ONLY to address everything in a long post. Most long post contain a lot of unrelated matter.
My posts are usually longer simply because I try to answer the issue as thoroughly as possible.
No you didn't, you beat around the bush for a yes or no answer. It is not a matter of faith, it is a matter of belief.
Belief, faith, kind of splitting hairs here. As I pointed out, history can not confirm or deny miracles.
Here we disagree.
We can disagree here, but I've never seen any evidence. And that is coming from someone who has faith that G-d exists.
I am trying to establish that you do not accept miracles. Am I wrong.
Historically, I reject them. They can't be confirmed by history, and much of my work is of a historic nature. Personally, I'm not opposed to miracles. They could certainly happen.

You also skipped over my short post which points out the contradiction in the genealogies, or contradictions and there are literally dozens of them, and how a levarite marriage doesn't explain it, unless you argue for dozens of levarite marriages.

omega2xx

My posts are usually longer simply because I try to answer the issue as thoroughly as possible.

OK

Belief, faith, kind of splitting hairs here. As I pointed out, history can not confirm or deny miracles.

4 men who considered bearing false witness was a sin against God, and were eye witness confirm them. Do yu think they werelying?

We can disagree here, but I've never seen any evidence. And that is coming from someone who has faith that G-d exists.
Historically, I reject them. They can't be confirmed by history, and much of my work is of a historic nature. Personally, I'm not opposed to miracles. They could certainly happen.

If you don' think God can and will perform miracles, you God is too small.

You also skipped over my short post which points out the contradiction in the genealogies,

There are no contradiction there. You just don't understand why because you are trying to discredit the Bible, instead of looking to confirm what it says.

or contradictions and there are literally dozens of them, and how a levarite marriage doesn't explain it, unless you argue for dozens of levarite marriages.

Then post them, maybe it another excmple of your lack of understanding.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
4 men who considered bearing false witness was a sin against God, and were eye witness confirm them. Do yu think they werelying?
Wouldn't matter. I can find dozens of witnesses for miracles you and I would both dismiss. From a historical perspective, one can not confirm or deny a miracle, because by definition, they are the least likely thing to occur.
If you don' think God can and will perform miracles, you God is too small.
I never suggested G-d wouldn't. However, to accept a miracle as fact, it requires faith. I'm not arguing against faith. I'm simply saying from a historical perspective, one can not confirm or deny a miracle. History is part of my background, and thus when I look at such claims, I apply the historical method to them.
There are no contradiction there. You just don't understand why because you are trying to discredit the Bible, instead of looking to confirm what it says.
I have no want to discredit the Bible. Just because I say there is a contradiction, doesn't mean that I just throw out the entire passage. Personally, I believe that Luke and Matthew were attempting to make theological arguments based on their genealogies.

But please explain why the two genealogies, which nearly never agree with each other, don't contradict each other. Levarite marriage didn't work, as you used that for just one discrepancy. What about the many others. Such as, which son of King David does Jesus descend from? Nathan or Solomon.