• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible the absolute, infallible, Word of God?

Is the Bible the absolute, infallible, Word of God?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No!

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, but not the only

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

jonny

No. The bible is a collection of documents, brought together by inspired men, but it is far from perfect, absolute, and infallible.

jonny

1. I don't believe that all the translations are 100% accurate.
2. I don't believe that every inspired word ever written is contained in the Bible.
3. It was written by imperfect humans, so I don't believe that it is incapable of imperfections.
4. I don't believe it is absolute because that it putting limitations on God's ability or willingness to reveal further truth. I don't believe that a book can limit God.

jonny

Aurelian said:
how about the book of Mormon?
The Book of Mormon states that it isn't perfect.

From the title page:
And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ.

1. I don't believe that all the translations are 100% accurate.
Thats really a whole different debate... But I'm specificly talking about the originals.

2. I don't believe that every inspired word ever written is contained in the Bible
What do you mean by "inspired"?

3. It was written by imperfect humans, so I don't believe that it is incapable of imperfections.
Imperfect humans inspired by the Holy Spirit.

4. I don't believe it is absolute because that it putting limitations on God's ability or willingness to reveal further truth. I don't believe that a book can limit God.
You can't limit God, that's very true. Okay, what more would you like God to reveal? (I'm not trying to mock, I'm asking a serious question.)

jonny

JesusIsTheWay said:
What do you mean by "inspired"?
Anything writing that comes from God is inspired. There were plenty of documents written that we not chosen to be included in the Bible. The Bible itself even mentions books that were not included.

JesusIsTheWay said:
The fact that they are imperfect leaves the possibility that there are flaws in what they felt was inspiration from God. The idea that they were inspired leaves the probability that there are not very many.

JesusIsTheWay said:
You can't limit God, that's very true. Okay, what more would you like God to reveal? (I'm not trying to mock, I'm asking a serious question.)
Anything that will help me achieve eternal life. I'm LDS so I obviously believe in continuing revalation. One of our Articles of Faith states, We believe in all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe he will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

Anything writing that comes from God is inspired.
The fact that they are imperfect leaves the possibility that there are flaws in what they felt was inspiration from God.
Your contradicting yourself here. Since the Bible or any other document that "claims" to be inspired is written by imperfect humans, how can anything really be inspired? How could anybody really recieve a "revelation from God" if they will just mess it up? Is the Bible written by God? How do we know what they are writting is truly "inspired"?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
There's no such thing as an infallible holy book, I believe. Mankind is a creature prone to errors, and they are the ones that wrote books.

jonny

The fact that people claim to be inspired who may not be inspired does not discredit the claim that some people actually are inspired. I'm just saying that I don't know 100% that every word in the Bible is 100% accurate. That doesn't mean I don't believe the Bible is the primary resource for learning about God and Christ.

Take the example of Paul's vision. He wrote the same story three times and every time the details were different. In one account Saul was the only one to fall to the earth. In another everyone traveling with him fell to the earth. In one account they all heard the voice. In another account they didn't hear the voice. It's not important, but it shows that the Bible isn't perfect.

The Bible was not written by God. It was written by men. If God had appeared with a book he wrote I would say that God wrote the book. Unfortunately, he didn't.

BruceDLimber

Greetings, all! :)

As a Baha'i, I would say that the Bible is most definitely the word of God, and that although it has suffered certain alterations and corruptions over time, these fortunately have not diminished its spiritual message to date!

However, I disagree with the word "absolute" and posit that the Bible, like the many other other scriptural works over the ages, contains relative truth because, as stated in the Baha'i scriptures, the only absolute is God Himself!

Best,

Bruce

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
There's no such thing as an infallible holy book, I believe. Mankind is a creature prone to errors, and they are the ones that wrote books.
I agree; the only way that the Bible might have been infallible would have been if God himself had written it (Or Jesus Christ).;)

Scott1

JesusIsTheWay said:
... the problem is, that these same men who were "inspired" to define the Canon of Scripture were also called "cannibals" because they believed Communion to be the actual body and blood of Christ.

I have a hard time with people who accept one action (Bible) as "inspired" and other actions (Trinity/Bishops/Real Presence/Sacraments/etc etc) that don't suit them as "mistakes".:rolleyes:

the problem is, that these same men who were "inspired" to define the Canon of Scripture were also called "cannibals" because they believed Communion to be the actual body and blood of Christ.
What the heck are you talking about!! They were not cannibals!! To be a cannibal you have to eat another human and in case you didnt know they didnt eat jesus!! They use his body that was bruised for are iniquities and the blood that was shed at calvary to represent the bread and juice as a symbolic rememberance for what jesus did for us! Jesus even told them to do it as often as you eat and drink in rememberance of him! Jesus told them and us to do it!!!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
JesusIsTheWay said:
Is the Bible the absolute, infallible, Word of God? What do you think?
What I think is that the options in your poll left me with no choice but to vote "No." And yet I do believe it to be the word of God -- as far as it is translated correctly. The Bible was not given to us in its original form, and we haven't one single solitary original document. We have only copies of copies of copies of copies.

It is also not the sole word of God, nor does it claim to be. It is missing more than a dozen books that are mentioned within its pages, and specifically states that not all of what Jesus taught was even written down.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
JesusIsTheWay said:
Thats really a whole different debate... But I'm specificly talking about the originals.
I'd say the originals probably were inerrant. Problem is, we don't have the originals so it's a moot point.

Yes, and also influenced by their own culture, politics and personal frailities.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sanctified_by_Faith said:
What the heck are you talking about!! They were not cannibals!! To be a cannibal you have to eat another human and in case you didnt know they didnt eat jesus!! They use his body that was bruised for are iniquities and the blood that was shed at calvary to represent the bread and juice as a symbolic rememberance for what jesus did for us! Jesus even told them to do it as often as you eat and drink in rememberance of him! Jesus told them and us to do it!!!
Hey, Sanctified! Calm down! You're fighting the wrong person. Scott didn't say anyone was a cannibal. He said some of the early Christians were being accused of cannibalism because of their belief that the bread and wine they used to comemorate the Last Supper were actually Jesus' body and blood. You need to read these posts a bit more carefully or you'll end up having a stroke or something!