• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible really for everyone?

ProfLogic

It seems that the bible was written for one specific race. It seems to document only an isolated region of the world that a man, seems of hebrew origin. Only that region heard of christ. I can't believe people across the world believe that they are included since from the very begining even the NT writers argued who needed to be included in the new religion. Christianity was taught to other lands as a means to steal their prized possesions. If the bible teachings dissapears, I am sure that humanity will continue to exists because it had before it ever came.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
It seems that the bible was written for one specific race.
Yep, well the OT was anyway - it couldn't make it anymore obvious.

It seems to document only an isolated region of the world that a man, seems of hebrew origin.
Well, semitic anyway. Was Abraham a Hebrew, i think he was their forefather - someone correct me.

Only that region heard of Christ.
Yeah, that region being part of the Roman Empire, news travels fast in Empires.

I can't believe people across the world believe that they are included since from the very begining even the NT writers argued who needed to be included in the new religion.
Oh, we're just talking about the NT now? Well, Paul won the argument, so that's how it is.

Christianity was taught to other lands as a means to steal their prized possesions. Que?

If the bible teachings dissapears, I am sure that humanity will continue to exists because it had before it ever came.
Yes, but with one less good book to read.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
What? :rolleyes:
Christianity was taught to other lands as a means to steal their prized possesions.

Do you have an issue to debate or are you just taking the opportunity to bash Christianity and the Bible with your uninformed opinion?

A

angellous_evangellous

ProfLogic said:
It seems that the bible was written for one specific race. It seems to document only an isolated region of the world that a man, seems of hebrew origin. Only that region heard of christ. I can't believe people across the world believe that they are included since from the very begining even the NT writers argued who needed to be included in the new religion. Christianity was taught to other lands as a means to steal their prized possesions. If the bible teachings dissapears, I am sure that humanity will continue to exists because it had before it ever came.

You seriously contradict yourself, here Prof. Either Christianity was preached outside of the region or it wasn't. How you lump Rome and Gaul in with Jerusalem is beyond me, not to mention how you think that the earliest Christians thought that they could steal the wealth of Rome with their message.

How, I wonder, do you explain that the teachings of Christ in the NT that his kingdom is not of this world? The NT is plainly against the gathering of wealth but encourages generous giving to the poor and self-sacrifice in the light of a coming heavenly kingdom.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
angellous_evangellous said:
We'd still have Nag Hammadhi. :rolleyes:
Sure, if you want your brain to dribble out of your ears.

Tis no fun reading book to be sure, just happens to hold the answers to life, the universe and everything. ;) :D

ProfLogic

Maize said:
What? :rolleyes:

Do you have an issue to debate or are you just taking the opportunity to bash Christianity and the Bible with your uninformed opinion?

Why is it bashing if its the truth? Issue is the bible itself was not brought by a god to other lands, it was brought by menwho certainly was not inspired by a god but by greed and egotistical aspirations.

ProfLogic

angellous_evangellous said:
You seriously contradict yourself, here Prof. Either Christianity was preached outside of the region or it wasn't. How you lump Rome and Gaul in with Jerusalem is beyond me, not to mention how you think that the earliest Christians thought that they could steal the wealth of Rome with their message.

How, I wonder, do you explain that the teachings of Christ in the NT that his kingdom is not of this world? The NT is plainly against the gathering of wealth but encourages generous giving to the poor and self-sacrifice in the light of a coming heavenly kingdom.

Since, the book was written to a certain geographical location, it suggest that the book was meant for the people who lived in those lands, because the writers never knew about the other cultures that existed around the world. Thus it seems to be written to a particular race.

Welll apparently the conquistadors never knew about the generousity to others.

sparc872

The OT was most definitely written for a specific region. I disagree about the NT. The books of the NT primarily addressed Gentiles, those outside of the Jewish faith. Are you saying that the book should have been magically distributed to every person on earth at its conception? It was written by men, for men. There was no way of mass producing it and only limited knowledge of the world beyond the immediate horizon for most people.

Only that region heard of christ. I can't believe people across the world believe that they are included since from the very begining even the NT writers argued who needed to be included in the new religion.

enton

ProfLogic said:
It's true that one race was beloved by God, the human race. In fact Christ took human form not animal form or plant form. When you read the Bible, you can clearly see that it also says about the Gentiles or the heathen (any race outside Israel) and what did it say:

Malachi 1:11 For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.

This is wrong: Christianity was taught to other lands as a means to steal their prized possesions.

3 John 1:7 Because that for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles.

Or if you want to know more about the christians, why not click the linnk below.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The Bible is not for everyone. The bigoted and narrow minded will find that it will only offend you. The smug and the arrogant will find that it will humiliate you. The intolerant and hate mongers will only be frustrated by it's acceptance of all peoples. So no, it's not for everyone. :D

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
ProfLogic said:
Why is it bashing if its the truth? Issue is the bible itself was not brought by a god to other lands, it was brought by menwho certainly was not inspired by a god but by greed and egotistical aspirations.

Pardon me?

The road Christianity (and the NT) took to being accepted throughout Europe is littered with the bodies of matyrs. Saint Peter was crucified upside down. Saint Paul was beheaded. Others were variously burned alive, boiled in oil, shot with arrows and murdered in other gruesome and horrific ways. If these are the acts of thieves, they must surely be skilless in such a profession. Spreading the gospel, at least in the early stages, provided no physical reward in this life, often the polar opposite. So your basic premise, that the Bible (inc. the NT) was spread to countries it was not intended to be used in as part of some machiavellian scheme is completely rediculous. Later on, the spread of Christianity in some cases could be viewed in such a way, but not from it's outset and not in all cases.

Besides, the New Testament was written with all people in mind. Although it's books were usually directed at a specific community, the majority of the material speaks of core truths that are typical to human experience rather than specific socio-economic situations. Saying that because Saint Paul had never met a Norwegian, therefore Norwegians could not accept his letters as authoritative is rediculous as saying that because Shakespeare doesn't know me I am unable to appreciate his works.

True enough, some parts of the Bible are specific to a certain time, place and people (such as leviticus, Paul's forbidding women from speaking in church, etc.) but let's not throw the baby out with the bath-water.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:

Your profound ignorance of scripture is apalling. That you continue to express that ignorance trying to pass it off as meaningful is astounding.

Consider Proverbs 17:28.

the Bible is for asll people and no races. We're the human race, all colours one race. The Bible says that God loved the world !!! everyone who was in it and everyone to come. The Bible also says that God is no resoecter of persons, all included in the great story of salvation.

ProfLogic

sandy whitelinger said:
Your profound ignorance of scripture is apalling. That you continue to express that ignorance trying to pass it off as meaningful is astounding.

Consider Proverbs 17:28.

Who compile this bible again and when was it compiled, the bible itself shows numerous depictions/ interpretations, conflicting passages, etc. The ignorance you are refering to is in yourself because there is no right or wrong in reading this bible. Refering to me as ignorant shows your narrow mindedness.

My guess is you are the type of person who would adore someone who says they are your god..... easily controlled, and no thought process.......

ProfLogic

Moriah Hill said:
the Bible is for asll people and no races. We're the human race, all colours one race. The Bible says that God loved the world !!! everyone who was in it and everyone to come. The Bible also says that God is no resoecter of persons, all included in the great story of salvation.

The bible depicts a chosen race.. not everyone. This religion only came to other lands through men, most of the times men who are after the richness of ones culture.....

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
The bible depicts a chosen race.. not everyone. This religion only came to other lands through men, most of the times men who are after the richness of ones culture.....

When you say Bible, specify the Old Testament, because I know of know where in the New Testament that is suggests any of what you are saying, even in the Old Testament I cannot, because you have not provided one single source.

Your arguments are moot until you provided sources.