• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible (Old Testament) a collection of someones fables?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
mormonman said:
We do not consider the Bible apostate, but we consider the churches that use the Bible to be apostate. The translators, for the most part were inspired of God. The idiots that took many of the " plain and precious" parts of the Bible away, obviously weren't inspired of God. It is, sort of, the same way we view Martan Luther. Is the Luthern Chuch right? No, but we still feel he was inspired of God to break away from the Catholic Church, because it esablished greater religious freedom. The KJV along w/ the Joseph Smith Translation is the best translation of the Bible on the Earth.
"Best translation" is a subjective opinion. I can't argue with what you think is "best."

"Most accurate translation" is an objective statement of fact. But then, you didn't say the KJV and JS version were "most accurate." As a point ot fact, the NRSV is currently the most accurate translation available.

I'm sure that the KJV and JS version are the "best translations" for your puposes, if that's what your leaders say. But that doesn't make them the "most accurate."

linwood

Yasin said:
From my knowledge the RSV (which goes back to the most ancient authorities) is the most up to date version today.
Thirty-two scholars and fifty co-operating denominations, has this to say about the KJV:

"Yet the King James Version has grave defects".

"...that these defects are so many and so serious as to call for revision....."

Respectively, Yasin:bounce
I would agree with that assessment.

The Grey Wolf

ehT daM s'doG daM goD
GodLovesUs said:
I am rediscovering the Old Testamant Bible and while reading through Genesis, Kings etc it seems to me that this book either has gone throught so many hands of translation that logical it doesn't make sense. God is just and treats us equally, but upon reading the old testament, it seems that He has favorites which to is ridiculous.

I am begining to believe that at least for the sections I am reading that men created it so that their judgement would not be question because they will use God as an excuse to punish people even though logically they are correct.

The story of Noah having to repopulate the earth is a bit unbelievable because why were the fish excluded in God's punishment. Well again it just doesn't make sense.

What are your opinions.

YES!!!
GOD YES!!!!
I've been saying this for YEARS!!! Of course I have a new theory in my new thread, "A Frightening Possibilty".

A

angellous_evangellous

mormonman said:
What do you mean???
Statement: We do not consider the Bible apostate,

Contradiction: but we consider the churches that use the Bible to be apostate. The translators, for the most part were inspired of God.

Baseless: The idiots that took many of the " plain and precious" parts of the Bible away, obviously weren't inspired of God.

Statement: It is, sort of, the same way we view Martan Luther. Is the Luthern Chuch right?

Contradiction: No, but we still feel he was inspired of God to break away from the Catholic Church, because it esablished greater religious freedom.

Baseless Dogma: The KJV along w/ the Joseph Smith Translation is the best translation of the Bible on the Earth.

A

angellous_evangellous

mormonman said:
lol...Which part of the post??? I can only assume you're talking about the last part. ohhh, it's hopeless :bonk:
I agree that the debate is pointless. I rather effortlessly showed you that the conclusions don't match the evidence for at least some of your so-called 5 examples. It is rather pathetic that you think that it amounts to anything. If we can't make conclusions based on the evidence at hand, then we simply can't communicate about the topic.

It's like saying "my dog loves me" so the KJV must not match the DSS. The conclusions that you presented do not match the evidence.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Yasin said:
From my knowledge the RSV (which goes back to the most ancient authorities) is the most up to date version today.
Thirty-two scholars and fifty co-operating denominations, has this to say about the KJV:

"Yet the King James Version has grave defects".

"...that these defects are so many and so serious as to call for revision....."

Respectively, Yasin:bounce
You can get 32 scholars to say anything

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
angellous_evangellous said:
Statement: We do not consider the Bible apostate,

Contradiction: but we consider the churches that use the Bible to be apostate. The translators, for the most part were inspired of God.

Baseless: The idiots that took many of the " plain and precious" parts of the Bible away, obviously weren't inspired of God.

Statement: It is, sort of, the same way we view Martan Luther. Is the Luthern Chuch right?

Contradiction: No, but we still feel he was inspired of God to break away from the Catholic Church, because it esablished greater religious freedom.

Baseless Dogma: The KJV along w/ the Joseph Smith Translation is the best translation of the Bible on the Earth.
I don't see the problem here.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
angellous_evangellous said:
I agree that the debate is pointless. I rather effortlessly showed you that the conclusions don't match the evidence for at least some of your so-called 5 examples. It is rather pathetic that you think that it amounts to anything. If we can't make conclusions based on the evidence at hand, then we simply can't communicate about the topic.

It's like saying "my dog loves me" so the KJV must not match the DSS. The conclusions that you presented do not match the evidence.
Like your "evidence" amounts to anything? The evidence I gave you is the evidence at hand, and you choose not to read.