• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible (Old Testament) a collection of someones fables?

Ody

I like the most origional sorces, so for me the king james bible is merely a work to fit the belief system of a government/religion complex in which the government interpreted the word of god, so it is merely what the stuart dynasty wanted us to know :)

Ody

I agree the only way to know the full story is to go back as far as u can to the origional texts :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Dawny0826 writes: As a Christian...whose primary focus IS at all times to establish a closer relationship with God through Christ...I find it difficult to grow closer to God if I'm not following HIS WORD.

When it comes to relationships there a few things that have become evident in my life:

One can never K(NOW) another entity (spiritual or physical) through a book. No matter what relationship the author had to the subject, it is just one perspective, at one moment and does not bring anyone any closer to that entity.

There has never been a relationship that can be considered personal or productive if there is an intermediate (this could be a book or another entity) in between the two entities that are trying to get to K(NOW) each other.
GodLovesUs writes: Thats another perspective, I always say if there is confusion and argument over an idea, items, etc it might be the work of evil so that we fight amongst ourselves. Now thats weird but it might be true since men followed things and slaughtered people and believe that it is God's will which personal now I find disgusting. I personally would rebuke someone that says pick up arms and kill in the name of God, but in reading the OT, there is a lot of incidents of war in the name of God. Its hard to believe that a loving God would let his children murder each other in his name. That I truly believe is mans own doing.
Confusion, distraction, segregation, destruction, wars, people following faith instead of truth, all from one book supposedly inspired by a Supreme BEing.
Recently, I held a Q&A about Defending the Bible to see what different denominations had to offer in the way of substantial proof for this book. I had managed to continue this research with many different denominations from members outside of RF also. The conclusions have been consistent, nobody actually knows if the Bible comes from GOD.

I would like to believe that this is just human nature in action. I am not really willing to commit to the belief that there is an entity as devious as Satan but then again if there is such an entity, these tactics certainly contain all the earmarks of what a Prince Of Darkness is capable of enacting; to keep people from getting closer to GOD and also from the truth that GOD has to offer.

cardero said:

Common Misconceptions About GOD

12. GOD does not hold ONE entity higher than the other, every entity (spiritual, physical, animal, plant) is equal.

Common Misconceptions About GOD

1.GOD does not ask humans to do anything that GOD cannot DO him/herself.

9. GOD does not punish or judge or enact revenge.

11. GOD does not murder or take away lives.

I use these guidelines to compare what I know today to the validity of the inspired authors of the Bible. So either these scriptures were mistranslated, the events never happened or the specific authors were in contact with a different entity other than GOD or…I could be mistaken.

Yes but unfortunately fish will not be excluded in God’s next punishment. Let’s see how well those fish do with fire (and teriyaki sauce).

god is a female,the only reason why men have feminine (gay) feelings,tell me that doesn't sound right and one of us are delusional.

cardero said:

The demonic “high fives” could also be occurring when people pay to much attention to one book so as not to realize that a REALationship with GOD can be obtained without a book.

you mislead yourself with the way you use those words.

Deut 13:1

GodLovesUs said:
call me blasphemous but I already noted several verses which no one can explain why they y are there. I truly hope its just the translation. Its just does not make sense to me. Is that what truly God wants us to do?
Opne a new thread and ask for explanations of the thread. I've yet to see you post any verses on the forum where people didn't explain it. Maybe you don't agree w/ their answer, but I don't agree w/ a lot of people here. Doesn't mean they didn't answer it.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
GodLovesUs said:
How do you know that the bible is God's word? I only know its God's word because the priests kept on telling me this is the word of God, but when I read things and apply it to today it just doesn't make sense. I started reading Genesis and I am up to chapter 20 and all I see are excuses of men to have relationships with their daughters etc and it uses God as the messenger, call me blasphemous but I already noted several verses which no one can explain why they y are there. I truly hope its just the translation. Its just does not make sense to me. Is that what truly God wants us to do?
I believe whole heartedly in God...and I believe whole heartedly in His Word...and to do so requires faith. I have Faith in God. When I read his Word...it touches me on a spiritual level.

God wants for you to place your faith and trust in him...period. Pray for spiritual guidance when you read the Bible...if you're a believer...it works. It really does.

And again...I believe that the Bible is THE word of God. I trust my God more than anything. I don't doubt His Word, so it's hard for me to see where you're coming from here. If you start poking holes and overanalyze...it's only going to get harder and harder to understand.

I respect you and I extend warm wishes to you. I truly hope you find the clarity that you're seeking.

A

angellous_evangellous

GodLovesUs said:
I am rediscovering the Old Testamant Bible and while reading through Genesis, Kings etc it seems to me that this book either has gone throught so many hands of translation that logical it doesn't make sense. God is just and treats us equally, but upon reading the old testament, it seems that He has favorites which to is ridiculous.

I am begining to believe that at least for the sections I am reading that men created it so that their judgement would not be question because they will use God as an excuse to punish people even though logically they are correct.

The story of Noah having to repopulate the earth is a bit unbelievable because why were the fish excluded in God's punishment. Well again it just doesn't make sense.

What are your opinions.
It is a collection of myths.

I'll poke around for some literature. Bultmann, Gerhard von Raad, and Walter Bruggemann are a good place to start for OT. Theissen's Earliest Christianity explains how Paul brought OT myth and NT myth together. It's really quite charming.

The thing is, when you mix critical scholarship with biblical interpetation, you must have myth as a vehicle to the metaphysical reality of God. That is, God exists metaphysically as Creator. History is sort of a quasi-scientific vehicle, and cannot be a record of a non-natural act, like an act by a metaphysical entity such as God.

Therefore, and story that includes an act of God must be a myth, because it cannot be classified as a historical act.

Merry mythmaking, everyone!

dawny0826 said:
I believe whole heartedly in God...and I believe whole heartedly in His Word...and to do so requires faith. I have Faith in God. When I read his Word...it touches me on a spiritual level.

God wants for you to place your faith and trust in him...period. Pray for spiritual guidance when you read the Bible...if you're a believer...it works. It really does.

And again...I believe that the Bible is THE word of God. I trust my God more than anything. I don't doubt His Word, so it's hard for me to see where you're coming from here. If you start poking holes and overanalyze...it's only going to get harder and harder to understand.

I respect you and I extend warm wishes to you. I truly hope you find the clarity that you're seeking.

yes if your a believer you do end up inside a VA hospital with veterans and homosexuals.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Cardero writes: One can never K(NOW) another entity (spiritual or physical) through a book. No matter what relationship the author had to the subject, it is just one perspective, at one moment and does not bring anyone any closer to that entity.

I am establishing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I don't care if you believe me or accept that one can establish a relationship with God. The peace that I have as a result of picking up my cross on a daily basis and following Christ is profound. And I have what I have because I've accepted Christ and I believe that the Bible is God's Word. Every time I open my Bible...I grow stronger in my Faith. And no one can take that away from me.

You can speak for yourself...but you can't speak for me. I know who I belong to.

Cardero writes: There has never been a relationship that can be considered personal or productive if there is an intermediate (this could be a book or another entity) in between the two entities that are trying to get to K(NOW) each other.

Again...you can speak for yourself but you can't speak for me. If one believes that the Bible IS the Word of God...establishing a relationship with God through HIS Word IS possible.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Deut 13:1 said:
Good, well until you can read Hebrew, we here at RF would appreicate you not attempt to discuss the accuracy of translations when you yourself don't even know the Hebrew alphabet. However, if we are in search of uneducated opinions on the accuracy of translation from Hebrew to English, I will put you at the top of the list if you insist on being heard. Don't take offense to this, I just resent being told by people what the bible really "says" when they have never read it.
You put too much faith behind the Hebrew Bible. What makes you think that the HB hasn't been altered also? Never read the Bible? In Hebrew I assume. Because I've clearly read the Bible.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
sojourner said:
:eek:
There's a big difference between evidence and wishful thinking. The most accurate translation to date, based upon comparison with and study of the earliest extant texts, is the New Revised Standard Version. Most reputable Bible scholars agree with this. The KJV translation was the best they could come up with 500 years ago...but then they didn't have access to many of the manuscripts we have now -- the Dead Sea Scrolls, just to name one source. They may come up with a better one in future. Your opinion of your religion doesn't change that fact.:cool:

The OT writings rely heavily upon myth and story. Remember, the Bible was passed down for a thousand or more years by oral tradition -- nothing written. Many of these are "campfire" stories. Allegory, metaphor -- these literary forms help to reveal God to us in a way that is as amorphous as the concept of God and the understanding of our own spirituality. There are also Law, poetry, prophecy and wisdom. Stop reading for factual content, and read, instead, for revelation -- how God has revealed hemself to humanity and through humanity.;)
Actually the Dead Sea Scrolls are amazing. I read a book about them a few months ago. The DSS have been unaltered since, I believe 100 A.D., which would make a much better Old Testament. Did you know that the translation of the DSS corresponds almost exactly w/ the quotes from the Bible in the Book of Mormon and the Joseph Smith Translation?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
mormonman said:
Actually the Dead Sea Scrolls are amazing. I read a book about them a few months ago. The DSS have been unaltered since, I believe 100 A.D., which would make a much better Old Testament. Did you know that the translation of the DSS corresponds almost exactly w/ the quotes from the Bible in the Book of Mormon and the Joseph Smith Translation?
You really do not know what you're talking about. You should read a better book, or read the one you have better.

linwood

mormonman said:
Did you know that the translation of the DSS corresponds almost exactly w/ the quotes from the Bible in the Book of Mormon and the Joseph Smith Translation?
Absolutely untrue.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
mormonman said:
Did you know that the translation of the DSS corresponds almost exactly w/ the quotes from the Bible in the Book of Mormon and the Joseph Smith Translation?
Can you give examples?

mormonman said:
You put too much faith behind the Hebrew Bible. What makes you think that the HB hasn't been altered also? Never read the Bible? In Hebrew I assume. Because I've clearly read the Bible.
Why don't you read a book on how a Sefer Torah scroll is written, then come back w/ questions.

mormonman said:
Let me guess, you read a book by a moron? errr mormon, excuse me. When you can read the DSS, then we can talk, until then, your ignorant posts are become tiresome.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
mormonman said:
In what way is it possible to put "too much faith" in the Bible? Of course the Bible has been altered. It has been translated and edited, and the Canon was fiddled with for at least 100 years. Bible scholars know this. yet, the Bible remains scripture, which is sufficient for teaching dogma (at least as far as the Church is concerned).

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, "putting too much faith in the Bible" appears heretical.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
sojourner said:
In what way is it possible to put "too much faith" in the Bible? Of course the Bible has been altered. It has been translated and edited, and the Canon was fiddled with for at least 100 years. Bible scholars know this. yet, the Bible remains scripture, which is sufficient for teaching dogma (at least as far as the Church is concerned).

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, "putting too much faith in the Bible" appears heretical.
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. You can never have too much faith in the Bible. What I meant was, that they cite things in the Hebrew texts like there has been absolutly no alterations in the text whatsoever. They cite different wordings in the two translations and the Hebrew version has to be right because it's in Hebrew.