• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible (Old Testament) a collection of someones fables?

I am rediscovering the Old Testamant Bible and while reading through Genesis, Kings etc it seems to me that this book either has gone throught so many hands of translation that logical it doesn't make sense. God is just and treats us equally, but upon reading the old testament, it seems that He has favorites which to is ridiculous.

I am begining to believe that at least for the sections I am reading that men created it so that their judgement would not be question because they will use God as an excuse to punish people even though logically they are correct.

The story of Noah having to repopulate the earth is a bit unbelievable because why were the fish excluded in God's punishment. Well again it just doesn't make sense.

What are your opinions.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
If the Old Testament is false, then the New Testament is also. The OT is the basis for the things that occured in the NT. If the OT is false than Christianity and Judism are also false. I can assure you that the OT is the word of God, given through prophets.

In addition, the old testament seems to be focused on one family line to glorify and also justify the violence that occured during those days. When there are killings involved I do not believe using God as an excuse is just, but I can not judge. In the story of Noah it says his sons only had sons which means to repopulate the earth the sons needed to have relationships with their aunts or mother. This to me do not make sense. Also why were the fish not included in the punishment, again there seems to be things that do not make sense.

This is just for discussion purposes only and no personal attacks intended. Is just does not make sense the stories of the Bible (Old testament). Hope someone can explain.

God Bless

mormonman said:
If the Old Testament is false, then the New Testament is also. The OT is the basis for the things that occured in the NT. If the OT is false than Christianity and Judism are also false. I can assure you that the OT is the word of God, given through prophets.
Could there be a possibility that some people might have added their own words in the Bible so that they can easily control their followers and use God as their reason for punishment? Why focus on one region on earth, I beleive there were religious and people who showed loved else where in the world. Can you also answer how Noah repopulated the earth. Relationships with relatives currently is not accepted at least in some religion or there are exceptions like 3rd degree, or something?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
The Torah (the first five books of the Christian OT) can not be seen as strictly or primarily as a historical text, but rather, a charter for how mankind is supposed to act in relation to G-d and each other.
(this is a summary of the opening commentary in the Stone Edition Chumash which i feel reflects my own opinion of the Torah)

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
GodLovesUs said:
Could there be a possibility that some people might have added their own words in the Bible so that they can easily control their followers and use God as their reason for punishment? Why focus on one region on earth, I beleive there were religious and people who showed loved else where in the world. Can you also answer how Noah repopulated the earth. Relationships with relatives currently is not accepted at least in some religion or there are exceptions like 3rd degree, or something?
Of course there are some mistranlations in the OT, but for the most part the King James Version is a good translation. They focused on that region because they were the people w/ the gospel. Why waste ink on pagans? How else would Noah repopulated the Earth, the same way Adam did.:eek:

Deut 13:1

mormonman said:
Of course there are some mistranlations in the OT, but for the most part the King James Version is a good translation. They focused on that region because they were the people w/ the gospel. Why waste ink on pagans? How else would Noah repopulated the Earth, the same way Adam did.:eek:
Why is the KJV a good translation?

linwood said:
Mormonmans entire belief system is based upon it.
It must be a good translation.

:)
No one cares what their beliefs are based on...

I'm asking him why he thinks the KJV is a good translation, this would include his knowledge of arabic, hebrew, and greek so he can actually know how close the translation is or is not. Reading 10 different translations doesn't tell you which is the best and most accurate version is. Reading it in the original language then reading translations tells you.

linwood

Deut 13:1 said:
No one cares what their beliefs are based on...
It`s entirely circular Deut.
The KJV is a good translation because those who use the KJV tell me it`s a good translation.

It`s really that simple.

It`s not correct but I`m willing to bet thats what it comes down to.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jewscout said:
The Torah (the first five books of the Christian OT) can not be seen as strictly or primarily as a historical text, but rather, a charter for how mankind is supposed to act in relation to G-d and each other.
(this is a summary of the opening commentary in the Stone Edition Chumash which i feel reflects my own opinion of the Torah)
That's the way I tend to see it.;)

mormonman said:

The way I was thought when I was growing up was to believe everything in the bible. Now that I am older (maybe wiser) then there are things that do not make sense. The transaltaions themselves might have placed the wrong meanings. There are things that the bible allowed before but religions now are condeming like the how adam and noah repopulated the earth, we can not do the same method (the "I" word). Why do we have to have chosen people on this earth. Everyone is equal I say.

If you talk to a priest they take offense (one sided conversation) if you question things in the Bible so its hard to have an intelligent conversation. This forum seems to have a mixture which makes it very interesting.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
mormonman said:
I agree.

You can pick apart and doubt all you want...and give Satan a pat on the back while you're at it...because if you do...he's obviously done his job very well...

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
dawny0826 said:
I agree.

You can pick apart and doubt all you want...and give Satan a pat on the back while you're at it...because if you do...he's obviously done his job very well...
I admire your conviction Dawny, frubals to you. :)

I love the OT, i've just started re-reading it properly, like a novel. Before i just picked a bit at random and read.
It is a good story book, but that's all i personally believe it to be. I think the evidence of it being a collection of fables is also quite clear from just reading it.
For example, while in Egypt Abram pretends his wife Sariah is his sister (which she actually is, funnily enough) so that people won't kill him to take her. The king of Egypt marries her and God gets pissed off and orders the king to release her back to Abram.

Then later on, after Abram and Sariah change their names to Abraham and Sarah, the exact same story is retold, with one minor difference - its a different king.
The same can be seen in Genesis 1 compared with 2. Its a good collection of myths, its just a shame that noone bothered to properly edit it.

dawny0826 said:
I agree.

Respectfully, that would be the same comment as what my priest would tell me but if we follow what the Bible stated in Genesis, does this mean having a relationship with an immediate relative is acceptable since according to the Bible God allowed this to adam and noah? It also showed favoritism to a particular region on earth and the family tree was even mentioned, that to me sounds a fairly arrogant view of someone's family line so that no one will question their authority or dominance over another race/tribe. Also as I noted before when God punished all the earth during Noah's times, why not the fishes in the Ocean? Again this is just for discussion and I am not questioning if there is a God, its just what is the bible. I truly can say that if today a well respected person tells me he wrote scriptures and that this is from God, I would first be suspicious that he/she was mad, then question his intentions, etc. Well again I do not want to Judge because that is God's role. The question I would ask myself, is if the events in the bible started happening to me should I believe that it is God?

Can you elaborate why you whole heartly believe if someone questions the bible which was translated and written by men is the act of satan?

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Deut 13:1 said:
Why is the KJV a good translation?
Because the KJV is the closest translation to the Joseph Smith Translation, and the KJV is the tranlation that the LDS Church uses. Considering that my religion is the only true religion and we use the KJV that would probably mean that the KJV is the most correct translation.:jiggy:

mormonman said:
Because the KJV is the closest translation to the Joseph Smith Translation, and the KJV is the tranlation that the LDS Church uses. Considering that my religion is the only true religion and we use the KJV that would probably mean that the KJV is the most correct translation.:jiggy:
And on what basis do you say that the Mr. Smith Translation is the most accurate? Please state where you earned your degree and how decent your Hebrew/Greek/Arabic are. Thanks in advance.