• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible all about Jesus Christ?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Claim: The Holy Bible in its entirety (i.e. both the Hebrew and Christian scriptures) is a book that is all about Jesus Christ.

Do you agree or disagree?

I heard someone claim this the other day and though it would be a good (and hopefully contentious) topic for RF :D

Altfish

Veteran Member
Claim: The Holy Bible in its entirety (i.e. both the Hebrew and Christian scriptures) is a book that is all about Jesus Christ.

I heard someone claim this the other day and though it would be a good (and hopefully contentious) topic for RF :D
This is like Shakespeare's Julius Caesar; the pay is named after a character that gets killed early on, so why isn't it named (say) Mark Anthony.

Likewise The Bible, JC doesn't appear to the second half, so can it really be all about him?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Likewise The Bible, JC doesn't appear to the second half, so can it really be all about him?
I think one could argue that it gradually builds up to him, as a result of divine providence inspiring its authors

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
To answer my own question: I think it can certainly be read in such a way

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think one could argue that it gradually builds up to him, as a result of divine providence inspiring its authors
The argument with Julius Caesar is that the last 2/3rds of the play is all about his influences.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. I'd liken the Jews point of view and their view of how the Torah has no signs of the upcoming Christ.

Usually you read a book from beginning to end but it seems many read the end and assume the beginning should line up. I don't believe that's how it works but, well.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

I disagree.
You have no reason to think about Jesus in the OT unless you are trying to put Jesus in the OT.

I think Bible is all about righteousness and love, to understand what that means and to make person righteous, because eternal life is promised for those who are righteous. And also, because, if person is righteous, he has right understanding which leads the person to do good things.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

74x12

Yes it is. Jesus said:

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

So of course it is and that's not really surprising because Jesus is God. So of course the scriptures are about God.

Audie

Veteran Member
I think Bible is all about righteousness and love, to understand what that means and to make person righteous, because eternal life is promised for those who are righteous. And also, because, if person is righteous, he has right understanding which leads the person to do good things.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10
How could you get righteouser than killing a girls family then check to see if she is a virgin
before deciding to kill or rape her?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

No. Only because Jews don't recognize Christ and they are the major authority on matters of the Old Testament.

How could you get righteouser than killing a girls family then check to see if she is a virgin
before deciding to kill or rape her?

I don’t think righteous person rapes anyone. And for killing there should be really good reason before righteous could do that.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
And for killing there should be really good reason before righteous could do that.
Like a direct order from god:

Deuteronomy 20:16-18 King James Version (KJV)
But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee: That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.​

Audie

Veteran Member
I know there is no passage in Bible that orders rape.

Cute. You know the one about raiding a city,
killing everyone but the girls...try for a bit imagining the scene in detail...and then blood splattered soldiers inspecting the terrified girls,
to see if they are intact. Kill them if not.

Then carry off the girls who pass for, ah, a tea party? Piano lessons?

Why part of this directive is marvelous,
and just what you'd like if you were one of the girls ?