• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Best Evidence For God Father Time?

james bond

"Time is a game played beautifully by children." ~Heraclitus of Ephesus

"Time and tide wait for no man." ~Geoffrey Chaucer

Time. Just who is Father Time?

Whether one is rich or poor, everyone must spend time. It's something that happens whether one wants it to or not. It's something that passes before you even think about it. And what is time?

For scientific purposes, it is duration, measurement of distance divided by rate of speed, it is direction.

And when your time is up, then the Grim Reaper comes to take you away.

So who is Father Time? It's part of a dimension of spacetime. It can slow down as we approach the event horizon.

I would talk about Mother Nature, but the atheists seemd to have claimed her already.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not think you can provide evidence of God's existence and that you will be opposing God by trying to. It will be like walking on a treadmill, and how do you think Science got started? Its been a search for God from the beginning. Look at the Big Bang theory. The Scientists attempt to corner God and fingerprint God, just like Christians would really prefer for Jesus to be here with us. Jesus stays away, and God won't allow the Science to find him. Scientists want world peace, unity etc; and finding God would be worth so many Nobel prizes. The finder would be wealthy, famous, honored everywhere. Consider this verse in Proverbs: "(NIV) It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings." (Prov 25:2) So the Scientists search and search in an attempt to seize God and use God to work their will (world peace, wealth etc), but God refuses to comply.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So who is Father Time? It's part of a dimension of spacetime. It can slow down as we approach the event horizon.

From what I understand, time does not slow down. "Now", this current moment of existence, is the same moment that is now for the entire universe.

What happens is the the speed/rate of change slows down.

The result being you'd age slower than someone on earth.

To create time, you take the rate of change of one physical object, like the revolution of the earth, as a standard and use this to catalog a specific event.

Like you were born 50 years ago. So fifty times the earth has revolved around the sun since you were born.

Time is just a concept created by man as a way to catalog events. It has no physical, material existence. It's properties are whatever man defines it to be. Revolution of the earth, revolution of the earth around the sun.

The division of a day into 24 parts is arbitrary. An hour was the creation of the Egyptians who actually gave ten hours for daytime, ten hours for night and added two intermediate hours at dusk and dawn. We could divide the rotation of the earth into however many parts we wanted to, 5, 100 etc...

Time only becomes mysterious when we forget we created the concept of time.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I don't understand how 'time' is evidence for God even after reading the OP.

But on that subject, I think time is just our way of perceiving the universe. God/Brahman is above time in an eternal NOW. However, all of our basic thinking abilities are predicated upon a linear time progression so our traditional religions were predicated upon a God that experiences time also.

Confused yet;)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

But on that subject, I think time is just our way of perceiving the universe. God/Brahman is above time in an eternal NOW. However, all of our basic thinking abilities are predicated upon a linear time progression so our traditional religions were predicated upon a God that experiences time also.

Confused yet;)
Yeah, especially since time's flow is cyclical...it only appears linear when we chop it into small enough portions to be something we can relate to in our perceptions and conceptions...but it is a continuous thing, not chopped up into quanta as is matter and energy (and yes I know that there are theories in physics that posit that time is indeed quantum, and in fact this is the dominant paradigm in physics...)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yeah, especially since time's flow is cyclical...it only appears linear when we chop it into small enough portions to be something we can relate to in our perceptions and conceptions....but it is a continuous thing, not chopped up into quanta as is matter and energy (and yes I know that there are theories in physics that posit that time is indeed quantum, and in fact this is the dominant paradigm in physics...)
Yeah, kind of like how the world is round but appears flat in our everyday experiencing.

It's hard to get my head around cyclical time though. Any simple (LOL) way of thinking about this?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yeah, kind of like how the world is round but appears flat in our everyday experiencing.

It's hard to get my head around cyclical time though. Any simple (LOL) way of thinking about this?
lol...not really on my part. I kind of think of the annual cycle of the year as variations on a theme in the musical sense, like a fugue.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From what I understand, time does not slow down. "Now", this current moment of existence, is the same moment that is now for the entire universe.

To create time, you take the rate of change of one physical object, like the revolution of the earth, as a standard and use this to catalog a specific event.

Like you were born 50 years ago. So fifty times the earth has revolved around the sun since you were born.

Time is just a concept created by man as a way to catalog events. It has no physical, material existence. It's properties are whatever man defines it to be. Revolution of the earth, revolution of the earth around the sun.

The division of a day into 24 parts is arbitrary. An hour was the creation of the Egyptians who actually gave ten hours for daytime, ten hours for night and added two intermediate hours at dusk and dawn. We could divide the rotation of the earth into however many parts we wanted to, 5, 100 etc...

Yep. Just a sliding scale to measure process.

james bond

I should have added time slows down or is slower for the person on earth compared to someone who is going further out in space. It's based on reference to the person on earth. I disagree that time is a concept created by man. It explains in Genesis that a day was created by a revolution of the earth or the separation between night and day. Everything before then was timeless. What was there in place was what man had to work with. God has no physical nor material existence per his design. Time's properties has been defined by God. What man has done is what you described with the Egyptians in creating a sundial or a way to see and use time and measure it as well as the Gregorian calendar instituted by Pope Gregory. It's interesting you attribute everything to man when he just came along and used what was there.

james bond

Confused yet;)

Time is something that started with creation. Before that was a state of no time. If there was no time, then we would travel a distance based on rate or speed only. Thus, time is more than a concept. We use time to calculate and measure objects and events.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's interesting you attribute everything to man when he just came along and used what was there.

Not everything, just concepts created by man. Like God.

I'm not saying there is no God, just that God's existence can't be objectively validated. Therefore I can't use supernatural ideology in a scientific (meaning stuff which is either self evident or can be validated scientifically) explanation.

You of course can, it's a personal choice I suppose.

james bond

Yeah, especially since time's flow is cyclical...it only appears linear when we chop it into small enough portions to be something we can relate to in our perceptions and conceptions...but it is a continuous thing, not chopped up into quanta as is matter and energy (and yes I know that there are theories in physics that posit that time is indeed quantum, and in fact this is the dominant paradigm in physics...)

What do you mean time flow is cyclical? Time is linear and a direction as I know it. Also, gravity affects the pace of time. For weak fields, the rate of time flows proportional to 1+2V/c2 (squared), where V is the gravitational potential. This was one of Einstein’s key findings.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
as I know it
Although not a perfect introduction to the problems of time, the following wikipedia article may suffice:

Philosophy of space and time - Wikipedia

At this time, physics is not settled on a definition of time, nor on our experience of time. You may see time as linear (generally, I do too), but I also experience time as cyclical...but in both cases, our perspective is rooted in our ontological and epistemological assumptions--which, clearly, the people who have devoted their careers to understanding the nature of the universe and our ways of knowing it have not resolved the questions.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...It explains in Genesis that a day was created by a revolution of the earth or the separation between night and day....
Genesis also states that the sky is what separates waters from waters and that land is produced by the absence of water, but Scientifically the sky has water in it. In Genesis the LORD doesn't create land except by separating the waters. This does not suggest a one to one correlation with physical creation but with spiritual creation.

The Bible is concerned with spiritual things. Time is something that started with creation.
The Bible says that when we repent we become alive. Time begins then. Why insist that Creation is about land or physical time?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"Time is a game played beautifully by children." ~Heraclitus of Ephesus

"Time and tide wait for no man." ~Geoffrey Chaucer

Time. Just who is Father Time?

Whether one is rich or poor, everyone must spend time. It's something that happens whether one wants it to or not. It's something that passes before you even think about it. And what is time?

For scientific purposes, it is duration, measurement of distance divided by rate of speed, it is direction.

And when your time is up, then the Grim Reaper comes to take you away.

I would talk about Mother Nature, but the atheists seemd to have claimed her already.

You mentioned evidence in the title, but not in the OP. Don't keep us in suspense!