1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured is the Abrahamic God, the real God?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Meandflower, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,483
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    Even as a muslim i would not claim to Know if Allah is truly the only God out there.

Thereby i can not claim islam to be the only true religious teaching

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,909
    Religion:
    none
    @Sunstone answered that best.
    You can't and your co-believers aren't interested in that question. Nobody in the Abrahamic religions is going to help you with that question.
    How do I know?
    Just look at them. Is there any effort to reconcile the hundred thousand sects of Abrahamism? The only thing that happens from time to time is that someone comes and says how beautiful it would be to be united - and founds just another sect. (Whose members will eventually go to war with the rest of the mishpokhe.)

#22 Heyo, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  3. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,222
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Can be easily solved ... pray to just "God". Don't add all kind of mentally fantasized attributes by others (or yourself) to Him

• Like Like x 1
  4. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,222
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    People who see different Gods, forget that the main word is GOD

All the other words describe just the attributes, that the people created

Knowing that people make mistakes, don't impose these mistakes on God

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,859
    Religion:
    None
    Which makes Abrahamics around 99.9996 % atheist?

6. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,859
    Religion:
    None

As an atheist i would say no gods are real. However, to the believer the god(s) they believe are as real as the imagination can get.

7. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,859
    Religion:
    None
    Not the first but the real superhero to his devotees

8. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,480
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing
    Is it possible to follow a religion and consider without depending on the followers (and answers on RF) to confirm it?

9. Hawkins

Hawkins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +157
    It is all about how a truth shall convey to humans.

If aliens are true and they are far more advanced however decided to hide from humans, then how do you know that aliens are true?

The one and only way is through those who happened to have encountered the aliens, there's no other way round. The nature of a historical encounter on the other hand is that, mostly likely you need faith to believe or reject.

The Bible is written on behalf of those who claimed to have encountered God. There are tens of them in the different period of time of history all portraying a God with the same set of characteristics. These eyewitnesses are called the prophets for a reason. Humans don't have the ability to tell a future. These eyewitnesses are reckoned by the Jews (God's chosen people) as from God because they have the ability to tell a future.

So the nature of such a truth is that, 1) you need faith in order to reach, and 2) it can only be from encounterers, there's no other way round.

#29 Hawkins, Jan 21, 2021
  10. Gargovic Malkav

Gargovic Malkav Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Religion:
    I worship and believe in the One I see as the Source of Everything as a result of experience and faith. Label me as you see fit.
    I believe so.

Abraham didn't rely on followers of a religion in order to find the One he calls God.
    Later he was also blessed by Melchizedek, who was described as a priest of the Most High God.
    Melchizedek wasn't part of Abraham's tribe/followers, and yet they seemed to acknowledge each other's piousness instead of trying to discredit it.

This is based on scriptural narratives though, so it may not mean as much to you as it means to me.

11. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,550
    Religion:
    Druidry

Of course it is. Non-dogmatic, non-creedal religions, and especially mystery religions that are fundamentally experiential, work this way as a matter of course. Even in the absence of that, any human can think for themselves and make up their own minds about anything. When doing that, they will never escape the influence of their environment (including the culture of their upbringing) so in that sense there is always dependence (whether following a religion or not) but beyond that? Seeking external validation is not, strictly speaking, necessary for anything in life that is a personal affair.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 1213

1213 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +537
    Religion:
    Disciple of Jesus
    I think it is wrong to claim there is many Abrahams religions. If Christians are disciples of Jesus and follow his teachings, the law is the same as God of Abraham has, because:

Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
    Mat. 5:17-19

And interestingly, Quran says:

… The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah …. …believe in Allah and His messengers. …
    Surat An-Nisā' 4:171
    Surah An-Nisa - 4:171

But, probably you can’t know. I have chosen to believe Jesus, because I think his message is good and right and also the same as in OT.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,244
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
    Can I trouble you with a few questions?

1. You determined that the Christian God is the way you concluded, based on one group! Is that not the same as someone joining Jim Jones' movement, and coming away with the conclusion that believing in and following Jesus is evil?

2. Is it possible that wanting to do the things you like takes president over what someone in authority may require of you... so that you would prefer someone - anyone - who accepts the things you like?
    Sort of like... I like to grow my hair long. I like to wear skirts that barely cover my buttocks... So if Jack does not like that, then 'Bye Jack. Go suck a lemon."?

3. I have no doubt that Kali is indeed a real demon, but what makes you believe that Kali has anyone's best interest at heart? Why choose 'her' over the real Christian God Jehovah, who for many - have their best interest at heart?
    What's difference do you see between the two?

4. "No one from church helped", is a common expression, among many. however, don't we hear things like that in other organizations?
    For example, we may hear a person say, "No one in Business X helped, so I switched to Business Y, and the experience was amazing! Not only were they always looking to help, but they went further!"
    The person did not write off all businesses of that particular system. So why do you think the experience at one "Christian church", is good cause to write off all?

Can you give an example of at least three out of "a bunch of arbitrary rules" you refered to... if you don't mind?

14. firedragon

firedragon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,496
    1. Take their respective scriptures, and read them.
    2. Find out if the books go back to the source. (Source being the person who is claimed to be the prophet)
    3. Find out which book has manuscripts that go to the source or closest to the source (again, the prophet)
    4. Understand that these books are supposed to be scripture, thus respect them and analyse them for their internal coherence. Discrepancies would say "no no".
    5. Go to the source.

Cheers.

15. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,931
    Religion:
    śrī kṛṣṇasya sevāyām - “In Lord Krishna’s service”
    For Abrahamics he is. For me as a Hindu, just as Vishnu is my view of God, the Abrahamic God is another facet or view of "God". As far as I'm concerned there is only one God, seen in a multitude of ways. Or I daresay he's another deity if one is inclined towards polytheism. And while I believe he exists, if he is indeed God, he's not one of the deities that exist whom I worship. The way one wishes to see God, so he appears (paraphrasing Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa).

That's the dilemma one runs into when scriptures claim to be, or are believed to be the absolute truth, with no room for others or other interpretations. Hinduism, for example, doesn't insist that only one scripture is the only truth or supreme. Why? Because we understand that we can't possibly know or comprehend the entire Truth, nor can it be encapsulated into one book. These books speak to different peoples at different times and in different places for different purposes.

16. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,771
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Jesus was addressing His followers, because they were the only ones He could address since they were the only ones there. Then after Jesus, Muhammad and Baha'u'llah appeared and established new religions.

Muslims and Baha'is believe in the same God as Christians believe in and we also believe in Jesus.
    So why would only Christians be filled with the Holy Spirit?

#36 Trailblazer, Jan 21, 2021
  17. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +5,771
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Of all the Abrahamic religions, the scriptures of the Baha'i Faith are closest to the Source, since Baha'u'llah was the only Prophet who penned scriptures in His own hand, so if that is the criteria one is using to decide which Abrahamic religion is the truth, then you can do the math.

However, as you probably know, Baha'is do say we have the only true religion, just because we have the only authentic scriptures.

18. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +5,771
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    But doesn't Islam teach that there is only one true God?

19. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,155
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    The scripture says the full soul loathes the honeycomb but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet. (Proverbs 27:7)

Those who are already full of their own food/drink won't seek to be filled by the bread and drink of Jesus Christ. Because they have no desire. But it doesn't have to be that way for anyone. (Matthew 5:6) However, this is why it's so hard for religious people to be filled with the Spirit. But they can be by the grace and power of God.

Even many "Christians" are not filled with the holy Spirit. God doesn't care who you are or where you come from.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Rev 22:17)

• Like Like x 1
  20. night912

night912 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +533
    Religion:
    Not religious
    Not the one from the alternate reality from Injustice.