• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is that the sound of dominoes falling?

ecco

Veteran Member
Actually, I had never heard those exclamations about Bushy Jr. or about Obama. Can you cite an old article for either one?
This has been tried many times - with no success.

Third term for Obama? - FactCheck.org
Similar measures also were introduced in 2001, 2003 and 2005 by Democratic Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland and a handful of House members. Most of Hoyer’s cosponsors were Democrats, but Republican Rep. James Sensenbrenner cosponsored Hoyer’s bill each time. And Republican Rep. Henry Hyde of Illinois cosponsored it in 2001 and 2003. Hoyer put in all these repeal measures while Bush was president and Democrats were in the minority in the House. All of the bills died in committee.​

Rep. Hoyer, Feb. 17, 2005: The time has come to repeal the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, and not because of partisan politics. While I am not a supporter of the current President, I feel there are good public policy reasons for a repeal of this amendment. Under the Constitution as altered by the 22nd Amendment, this must be President George W. Bush’s last term even if the American people should want him to continue in office. This is an undemocratic result.​

Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia
The first efforts in Congress to repeal the 22nd Amendment were undertaken in 1956, only five years after the amendment's ratification. According to the Congressional Research Service, over the ensuing half-century (through 2008) 54 joint resolutions seeking to repeal the two-term presidential election limit were introduced (primarily in the House); none were given serious consideration.[1] Between 1997 and 2013, José E. Serrano, Democratic representative for New York, introduced nine resolutions (one per Congress, all unsuccessful) to repeal the amendment.[36] Repeal has also been supported by senior congressmen such as Barney Frank and David Dreier and Senators Mitch McConnell[37] and Harry Reid.[38]

On multiple occasions since taking office in 2017, President Donald Trump has questioned presidential term limits and in public remarks has talked about serving beyond the limits of the 22nd Amendment. For instance, during an April 2019 White House event for the Wounded Warrior Project, he suggested that he would remain president "at least for 10 or 14 years".[34][35]

ecco

Veteran Member
Were you referring to Michael Flynn or Roger Stone?
Kevin Clinesmith...stay tuned.

Ex-FBI Lawyer Plans to Plead Guilty to Falsifying Doc in Russia Probe

The anticipated guilty plea is part of U.S. Attorney John Durham’s investigation into the origins and conduct of the original 2016 probe. The look-back at the previous inquiry has been orchestrated by Attorney General William Barr, with plenty of prodding from President Donald Trump.

But according to The New York Times, while Clinesmith also wrote texts expressing his opposition to Trump, the Durham probe apparently has not found any evidence of a larger conspiracy against Trump, despite his many claims to the contrary.
Staying tuned. He has now pleaded guilty. Oh my. What more can they find?

Here’s What We Know About ‘FBI Attorney 2’ Kevin Clinesmith, the First Person Charged in Durham Probe

This charge marks the first substantive result of a yearlong investigation by special prosecutor John Durham into the origins of the FBI’s and Robert Mueller’s Russia probe.​

I guess we will have to stay tuned for another year.

I am buying ear plugs to dampen the screams of the Sheeples when they begin to realize that Biden can pardon Clinesmith.

Daemon Sophic

This has been tried many times - with no success.

Third term for Obama? - FactCheck.org
Similar measures also were introduced in 2001, 2003 and 2005 by Democratic Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland and a handful of House members. Most of Hoyer’s cosponsors were Democrats, but Republican Rep. James Sensenbrenner cosponsored Hoyer’s bill each time. And Republican Rep. Henry Hyde of Illinois cosponsored it in 2001 and 2003. Hoyer put in all these repeal measures while Bush was president and Democrats were in the minority in the House. All of the bills died in committee.​

Rep. Hoyer, Feb. 17, 2005: The time has come to repeal the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, and not because of partisan politics. While I am not a supporter of the current President, I feel there are good public policy reasons for a repeal of this amendment. Under the Constitution as altered by the 22nd Amendment, this must be President George W. Bush’s last term even if the American people should want him to continue in office. This is an undemocratic result.​

Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia
The first efforts in Congress to repeal the 22nd Amendment were undertaken in 1956, only five years after the amendment's ratification. According to the Congressional Research Service, over the ensuing half-century (through 2008) 54 joint resolutions seeking to repeal the two-term presidential election limit were introduced (primarily in the House); none were given serious consideration.[1] Between 1997 and 2013, José E. Serrano, Democratic representative for New York, introduced nine resolutions (one per Congress, all unsuccessful) to repeal the amendment.[36] Repeal has also been supported by senior congressmen such as Barney Frank and David Dreier and Senators Mitch McConnell[37] and Harry Reid.[38]

On multiple occasions since taking office in 2017, President Donald Trump has questioned presidential term limits and in public remarks has talked about serving beyond the limits of the 22nd Amendment. For instance, during an April 2019 White House event for the Wounded Warrior Project, he suggested that he would remain president "at least for 10 or 14 years".[34][35]
Thank you for the info. But in these cases, it was an act of congress being brought forward to allow the American people to vote for Bushy Jr. and Mr. Obama for third or more sessions.
What @Eyes to See was suggesting was that both of those presidents had threatened to stay in power regardless of the election results, establishing Marshall Law and a military grip on the presidency.
I just don’t remember either Bush Jr. or Obama ever threatening that, or in any way suggesting that they would even contest election results.
The Lying Don has done much more than question the necessity of the 22nd amendment.

ecco

Veteran Member
Thank you for the info. But in these cases, it was an act of congress being brought forward to allow the American people to vote for Bushy Jr. and Mr. Obama for third or more sessions.
What @Eyes to See was suggesting was that both of those presidents had threatened to stay in power regardless of the election results, establishing Marshall Law and a military grip on the presidency.
I just don’t remember either Bush Jr. or Obama ever threatening that, or in any way suggesting that they would even contest election results.
The Lying Don has done much more than question the necessity of the 22nd amendment.
I don't disagree with any of what you said.

Scarier:

Rewriting the limits of presidential powers
In April, when discussing guidelines to be issued to governors about reopening states during the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump said, "When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total, and that's the way it's got to be – it's total."

There are, it's true, some restraints on most presidential authority, but those might not apply to all the president's powers.

As Mr. Trump stated in March, "I have the right to do a lot of things that people don't even know about."

We can't know for sure, but what the president appears to have been referring to are his presidential emergency action documents, often referred to as PEADs.​