• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is tau-neutrino of zero-mass? Then it does not oscillate.

questfortruth

My calculations show that tau-neutrino is massless. I see no reason to present in general public my complicated QM calculations because they will troll and bully my results. People are unjust trolls nowadays. So, to get the file, write to me: [email protected] They said, that Trump is the most advanced troll:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Skwim

Veteran Member
Is tau-neutrino of zero-mass? Then it does not oscillate.

Right, but the fact is, it does oscillate.

The fact that neutrinos can oscillate is what tells researchers that they have mass—and that the flavors do not have the same masses. The differing masses cause the various neutrinos, which according to quantum mechanics can be thought of as both particles and waves, to travel with slightly different frequencies.
source

My calculations show that tau-neutrino is massless. I see no reason to present in general public my complicated QM calculations because they will troll and bully my results.
Yeah sure. :rolleyes:

questfortruth

Right, but the fact is, it does oscillate.

The fact that neutrinos can oscillate is what tells researchers that they have mass—and that the flavors do not have the same masses. The differing masses cause the various neutrinos, which according to quantum mechanics can be thought of as both particles and waves, to travel with slightly different frequencies.
source

Yeah sure. :rolleyes:

No, the tau-neutrino is massless; but e-neutrino, mu-neutrino have masses. Having no mass, the tau-neutrino does not oscillate.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
At this point, we know that some neutrinos are massive, but it is still possible one is massless. Unfortunately, we don't even know which is the smallest mass as yet.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, the tau-neutrino is massless; but e-neutrino, mu-neutrino have masses. Having no mass, the tau-neutrino does not oscillate.

Not quite true. What determines the rate of oscillation is the differences in the mass. So, even if the tau neutrino is massless, others are not, then it will show oscillation.

Skwim

Veteran Member

"There are many open questions about the neutrino masses, but scientists do know a few things. They know that the masses of the three neutrinos are small."
source

"The physics of the tau neutrino is becoming an experimentally accessible subject. The first evidence for direct observations of the tau neutrino by the DONUT experiment is an important milestone. The determined properties of the tau neutrino are consistent with those of the other neutrinos -νe, νμ, ντ. Finally, neutrino oscillations opens up a variety of new future possibilities for nt in cosmology, astrophysics and future accelerators."
source

"Theory does not require the mass of neutrinos to be any specific amount, and in the past it was assumed to be zero. Observations of the cosmic microwave background and gravitational lensing of distant galaxies indicate the three flavours of neutrino have a combined mass of 0.32 eV, or less than 1/100,000,000 the mass of an electron."
source

"The 2015 physics Nobel honored leaders of two experiments "for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass."

Born in certain nuclear interactions and nearly massless, neutrinos barely flirt with ordinary matter. They come in three types or "flavors"—electron, muon, and tau—and, weirdly, can change from one type into another, so that an electron neutrino can change into a muon neutrino and back again. Such back-and-forth "neutrino oscillations" prove that neutrinos have mass."
source

Hey, this is fun. I learned that all neutrinos, tau neutrinos included, have mass and oscillate. :thumbsup: for me.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you remind me what does it mean "neutrino mixing angle" theta_{23}. Can it act on how low the mass of tau-neutrino could be?

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2019/reviews/rpp2018-rev-neutrino-mixing.pdf

The problem is that the mass eigenstates for neutrinos are not the same as the lepton eigenstates. In essence, this means that any neutrino is an entangled state between the different masses. The mass eigenstates are usually written 1,2,3 and the lepton eigenstates as e, mu, tau. Because of this, it isn't even quite right to talk about the mass of any of the individual lepton neutrinos (as opposed to the mass eigenstates).

So, in the matrix of 14.6 in the link above, the third line describes how much of the 1,2,3 mass eigenstates contribute to the tau lepton. All three components of this are affected by the angle theta_23. In essence, theta_23 compares the amount of mass eigenstate 3 in the electron versus the tau neutrinos.

The mass eigenstates do NOT oscillate, but since they have different masses, combinations of them will (with frequency determined by the masses), so ALL of the lepton states oscillate (yes, even the tau neutrino).

questfortruth

Not quite true. What determines the rate of oscillation is the differences in the mass. So, even if the tau neutrino is massless, others are not, then it will show oscillation.
If tau-neutrino has zero mass, then it can not go into a different kind of neutrino. Why? Because of the Special Theory of Relativity.